A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,166
Currently Running With Scissors:
538 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Cool Apartment! PIC HEAVY  (Read 25563 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyCarrie
Tutorial Contributor

Good at everything...Great at nothing

i crafted a kid

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 21, 2005 11:11:25 PM »

My husband and I moved into our apartment over 2 years ago.  As soon as we moved in, we started decorating.  We completely revamped everything.  We were on a tight budget, but that didn't really bother me.  I'm an avid do-it-yourselfer anyway!

BATHROOM.
We went with a frog theme.  
I made huge stamps for the frogs and lilypads.  I got the idea from a TV show.

KITCHEN
I designed butterflies and flowers.  I printed them on the computer and used wall paper paste to slap them on the walls.  I handpainted the green vine.

Too cheap to buy new hardware, I used polymer clay to cover all of the existing knobs and door pulls.

COMPUTER ROOM  *UPDATE* http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=150378.msg1490251;topicseen#msg1490251 I begged my husband to let me buy an ugly 1970's brown shag rug covered curved chair for $5 at a garage sale.  
Then I ripped it apart and reupholstered it with a pale green blanket.  
I even made my own buttons.   Smiley

DINING ROOM.
We went with an Asian theme.
We have a cool stained glass window and fabulous wood work.  
We bought some inexpensive furniture from a catalog.
My husband and I sketched and painted 4 huge Chinese characters.  The three pictured say "Wife" "Husband" & "Dog".  The other one says "Pork Fried Rice" Tongue
I found 6 chairs at a garage sale for $30.  I reupholstered them with black dragonfly fabric.

LIVING ROOM  

This is the funkiest room in the apartment.  I especially love the wood arch between the Living Room and Dining room.  
We bought dark red couches, a funky colorful rug, and a TV cabinet.  Everything else came from garage sales.
We made the huge red starburst with some scrap wood and a paisley blanket.
I made the topiary from a fake Christmas tree.
My favorite thing in this room is the "Christmas Story" inspired LEG LAMP.  I found the leg in my mother's basement and I knew what had to be done.  I still have not found the perfect shoe, but I like it just the way it is.  We even put it in the window at Christmas time.

I hope you enjoyed the tour of my home.  TIKI PORCH pictures coming soon!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011 12:24:11 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2005 05:54:52 AM »

Very nicely done!  I especially like the curved chair - looks great and I'd have never guessed it wasn't that way when you bought it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
Hope.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005 06:14:32 AM »

that is superb! you did that on a small budget? wow, it all looks fantastic Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
16candles
Impulsive Letter Writer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005 07:18:55 AM »

looks amazing!  i want your dining room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion is feeding us identification.
http://www.geocities.com/dropdowngorgeous/
tofuttibreak
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005 10:15:06 AM »

Very nicely done!  I especially like the curved chair - looks great and I'd have never guessed it wasn't that way when you bought it!!!
I agree! Was it hard? I have a lot of furniture that needs to be reupholstered, but it always seemed like it would be really complicated and that i would end up making it look even worse.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xstifflerx
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005 11:53:38 AM »

Ooh! I love the cabinet handles.  That apartment is gorgeous! I love all the dark wood, very classy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftyCarrie
Tutorial Contributor

i crafted a kid

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005 12:33:17 PM »

Thanks everybody.

The chair really wasn't that difficult.  The hardest part was finding the right fabric.  I wanted to use a sage green shag or faux fur, but I could not find it anywhere.  I ended up buying a queen size sage green velour blanket at Sears for $20. 

Once I removed the old dirty brown shag and a few million staples, I was much happier.
To save money, I reused the existing foam.  I did buy a thin sheet of foam to lay on top of the old foam.
Then I just laid out the blanket and started to staple.  Thank god for the electric staple gun, because I had to use a ton of staples. 
I bought the covered button maker and used the scraps to make matching buttons.  Then, with a very long tufting needle, I sewed on the buttons. 

I love this chair, and even though my husband was completely against it...he sits in it every day! Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2005 11:55:50 AM »

*bows down to CraftyCarrie* You are my hero!

My boyfriend and I are about to move out together (from out 'rents houses-- so first timers!) and we are on such a limited income and I thought for sure there was no way to have nice looking stuff... even though my mom kept saying to me "You're creative, you'll think of stuff to do!"

Thanks for posting your pictures- you've given me so much inspiration!!!!

Also, that chair = amazing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
Flareon
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2005 12:13:10 PM »

Can I live with you? Grin  You have impeccable taste.  And the best part is you didn't spend a fortune to make your place look like a million bucks. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
iwannabethesilver4yogold
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2005 01:03:40 PM »

That's stunning! I do love it, miss!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Can I get a handclap, for the way I work my back? Tongue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baked Chicken with Sour Cream Gravy Recipe
Best Ever Oven Baked Tuna Casserole Recipe
Cheddar Apple Crisp Recipe
After Easter Cheddar Ham Casserole Recipe
Sweet Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...