A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,384
Currently Running With Scissors:
672 Guests and 38 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 70
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Scarf Knit-Along?  (Read 92997 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

holly_44109
« Reply #200 on: November 05, 2005 11:46:08 AM »

i am on my LAST LAST LAST maroon stripe!!!  Cheesy

i can't believe how much wider my scarf got toward the end. my stitches were so much looser than when i started.  i hope that i can fix it by blocking, which i have never done before.  now i have tassels to look forward to, which i have never done before either.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kasie

Chocolate Chip Kitty

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #201 on: November 05, 2005 11:49:37 AM »

Those are awesome. I need to keep trying to knit. I am getting there. ^.^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kasie | Livejournal | Twitter | Flickr | Myspace

I am up for Personal Swaps.
holly_44109
« Reply #202 on: November 08, 2005 05:39:22 PM »

ok, all done knitting. it is drying on my living room floor.
i am waiting, patiently... Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenrsmall
« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2005 10:12:16 AM »

I have made progress on my Gryffindor scarf too!  Check it out on my blog:

http://bluecanary.typepad.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2005 12:02:16 PM »

I've finally finished my Gryffindor scarf - which is a Christmas gift for my brother.  Here's some photos and notes (reprinted from my blog):

Yarn: four skeins of Plymouth Encore Worsted (MC) and one skein Brown Sheep Lamb's Pride Worsted (CC)
Needles: size 8 17" Denise circulars
Time to complete: way too long - about 6 weeks
Notes:

*I'm very happy with how this turned out - I think my brother will really like it, and it'll keep him warm during the winters in Brooklyn.  But man, it was a boring knit!  Product over process, definitely.  It's knit in the round, so there's just miles and miles of knit stitches.  Incidentally, this is the last piece I've knit "incorrectly" - that is, with my stitches twisted.
*I actually changed the proportions of MC to CC a bit - my pattern repeat looked like this: 24 rows MC, 3 rows CC, 6 rows MC, 3 rows CC.  This made for about 6 1/4" of knit.  I did eleven total pattern repeats, and then did 24 rows of MC at the end.  The finished scarf is 72" long, which I think is quite long enough.
*Blocking helped make the scarf look better and lie flatter - I aligned all the "jogs" in the rows along one side, which minimizes them a lot - and straightened it out.  I steam-blocked it - pinned it out, sprayed it with water, and steamed the crap out of it.
*The final touch was the fringe, which is about 3 1/2" long.  I think it's so clever to close the ends of the tube by slipping the fringe through both sides of the scarf.  This works really well.  Go, go, Gryffindor!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
Rosebridejaya

Imagine all the people... Living life in peace.

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2005 06:20:42 PM »

Yay!  Congrats, everyone on their scarves!  I just finished knitting mine today.  (yes, it did take me that long...) Now I just have to block it and add on the tassels and I'll be all set...

Now, I have a question...Not that I'm lazy or anything (hah!) but what's the advantage to blocking a scarf?  I mean, I understand the importance of blocking a sweater or something, but a scarf just seems to me like it would be the same before and after...  (As you can see, I've never blocked anything before Tongue )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistles*
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2005 08:01:09 AM »

This is the result of a weekend of knitting. I took a shortcut and made the Hufflepuff on the Bond (ISM-USM) machine. I need to finish 4 more scarves to donate for my son's high school jazz band auction so I needed to take drastic measures.  

I used Cotton Ease for the Hufflepuff and only made eleven trapped bars because the scarf ended up too long and hit the floor. It is very soft and drapes nicely also it is not as wide as the Gryffindor. The Gryffindor is made out of acrylic Red Heart and is stiffer and not as soft.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 01:51:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
gloriana
« Reply #207 on: November 14, 2005 10:30:13 PM »

Rosebride, I found that my HP scarf improved a lot after blocking.  since it's a tube, blocking makes everything lie flat and straightens everything out.  It makes it less bulky, too - as I was knitting it, I was unsure as to whether it'd really be practical to wear, since it's so thick and so bulky.  But after blocking, the scarf lies, flat, is even, and drapes better.  so that's my two cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my knitblog - A Mingled Yarn
http://amingledyarn.wordpress.com
luv2stitch

Sometimes it's knit and sometimes it's crochet.

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2005 03:32:43 PM »

Yippee!  I am totally finished with all four scarves. Here are the last two.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 01:51:51 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Rosebridejaya

Imagine all the people... Living life in peace.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2005 11:21:08 PM »

Rosebride, I found that my HP scarf improved a lot after blocking.  since it's a tube, blocking makes everything lie flat and straightens everything out.  It makes it less bulky, too - as I was knitting it, I was unsure as to whether it'd really be practical to wear, since it's so thick and so bulky.  But after blocking, the scarf lies, flat, is even, and drapes better.  so that's my two cents.

I see...Thanks! Kiss Even though I was feeling lazy, I blocked it anyway.  It's just about dry right now, and you're right, it does seem much flatter and less stiff. I never understood the magic that a bit of water can do, but I've become a believer! Wink

P.S. Luv2stitch, those scarves are beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Always look on the bright side of life... *whistles*
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 70 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Three Liquid Eyeliner Looks: Subtle, Everyday, and Night Out
Shaving Myths You Need to Stop Believing
Lose 5 Pounds in 5 Seconds With Sexy Contoured Cheekbones!
Five Tips to Stop Acne Breakouts This Fall
Mermaid Makeup Tutorial Part 2
Latest Blog Articles
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects
How to Make Summer Treats

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...