A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,042
Currently Running With Scissors:
572 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 70
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Scarf Knit-Along?  (Read 94488 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

_Steph_
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005 12:08:52 PM »

Cool - make sure you show us your progress too - it's so much more of an inspiration to start when we get to see pretty pictures! Smiley
I went out today and got the Gryffindor colors, I am 1/3 of the way thru mine (Movie Ravenclaw PoA) and will be starting hubby's as soon as I finish!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Steph~
HeyLiz
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2005 07:08:39 PM »

I will indeed be joining this knit-along, i may or may not follow the pattern on atypically, but we'll see. I'm just waiting for my boyfriend (who im knitting the scarf for) to buy the yarn. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_Steph_
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2005 07:29:04 PM »

OMG - there is SUCH a big difference in bamboo to the addi turbos, LOL... I can't hardly keep up with my needles now! LOVE these new needles! I'll post a progress pic tomorrow - yay!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Steph~
_Steph_
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2005 07:30:36 PM »

I will indeed be joining this knit-along, i may or may not follow the pattern on atypically, but we'll see. I'm just waiting for my boyfriend (who im knitting the scarf for) to buy the yarn. Smiley

Are there other patterns out there, or do you mean you'll maybe do up your own pattern? <Curious because I'd love to see a different variation!>
Either way, tell that boy to get off his wallet and give you some yarn, LOL! Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Steph~
HeyLiz
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2005 10:45:36 PM »

Are there other patterns out there, or do you mean you'll maybe do up your own pattern? <Curious because I'd love to see a different variation!>
Either way, tell that boy to get off his wallet and give you some yarn, LOL! Tongue

I started my gryffendor  PoA scarf tonight because I have a bunch of maroon worsted weight in my yarn stash from a million years ago. I'm basically using us10 straight needles and doubling up the yarn so the scarf is thicker. I cast on 30 sts and have been knitting in 1x1 rib. the plan is go go for about 27 rows in the maroon like the other pattern suggests and then following the patern to create the gold rows. It's a decent size scarf, not nearly as big as the other pattern, but with my short attention span and lack of circular needles (i'm po') this will suit me just fine.

I may frog it and start the other pattern when i can buy the right needles, because I can see myself being dissasisfied with an imitation of the real thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pookiepal25
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2005 08:23:09 AM »

My POA Gryffindor scarf was done in 1x1 rib, I modified the atypically.knit pattern to try to try and fit their dimensions into my gauge... Didn't work so hot, probably because I used size 15s... But the scarf turned out fabulous. The trapped bars are a little thick, but I don't care. Everyone at the book release went mad for the scarf. So a new traditional scarf is last on my list. 

I am still doing 1x1 on the other three, because living in Arizona in triple digit heat doesn't bear use for a woolen double thick scarf...

Maybe a trip to my LYS is in store for some cotton Smiley.

Progress: Cast on for Ravenclaw(book) scarf, POA style, have three rows knit, because that was all I could get in before my math class yesterday. Knitting 1x1, on size 11s. Following Atypically.knit pattern, but only cast on 44 stitches. Couldn't find bronze Red Heart SS, so I bought carrot instead (I hope it works!). The windsor blue color that I am using is really quite pretty. I believe I am adding a Ravenclaw(movie) scarf to my list... it matches my old high school's colors.  *hums the Mustang Fight Song*

Pics of my Gryffindor scarf and the progress of the Ravenclaw(book) will be posted as soon as I get my camera back from my mother...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lilyvanilli
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2005 09:56:58 AM »

The first thing I ever knit was a HP scarf COS style. I started a POA a little while ago and I think I'm almost to the 8th set of yellow stripes. I'll post a pic later today. I'm using Lion Brand Wool Ease (cheap! and size 7 needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_Steph_
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2005 10:58:57 AM »

I just got an email from Lion Brand saying they have a new line of wool yarn out now - I am hoping JoAnn's carries it because I always get their 40% off fliers - woowoo!
I can't wait to see the pics, Lilivanili!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Steph~
_Steph_
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2005 12:02:51 PM »

This is half-way thru day 6 of the scarf... and all I have left of "today's repeat" is 7 rows blue and the 3/5/3 for the trapped bar! This is such a nice scarf - SO soft and I know it will be so warm to wear - I may even do up a pair of fingerless gloves to match!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010 01:55:43 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Steph~
onetomatotwo

(former username: kaesea)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2005 05:01:35 PM »

I am so happy to find this "scarf-along" (Thanks for that name, super geek -- it cracks me up!) because making this scarf is sooo boring. I'm hoping that watching other people's progress will help keep me motivated!

I am working on a Gryffindor CoS scarf for my best friend's birthday (deadline: mid-October). I am using the pattern from atypically.net, so I'm working it in the round. Right now, it looks pretty lumpy, but I've been assured that blocking when finished will help. Here's my WiP:

Gosh, I'm kind of bored just looking at that photo. It's funny how there's nothing boring about Harry Potter and it's going to be fantastic to give this scarf to her because I know she'll be so happy, but this process is painfully slow... round n' round n' round...

Facts about what the heck I'm doing: I'm using 6's, which is unheard of for me (I like big, quick knitting that provides near-instant gratification. 6's do not provide this) and a couple of Knit Picks yarns. I'm mixing yarns because they didn't have 2 of the same kind that I wanted in the same color. I'm using Andean Silk in Mustard and Elegance in Barn Red. The Andean Silk also comes in Barn Red, but it's more of a brown than a red and definitely did not look "Gryffindor-ish." I was afraid of mixing yarns (one is 70% Baby Alpaca, 30% Silk and the other is 55% Super Fine Alpaca, 23% Silk, 22% Merino Wool) but the gauge came out the same, so I decided to go with it. I'm happy with how it's going so far and this yarn is very soft (especially for the price -- yay, Knit Picks!)

populuxa -- I noticed that on page 3 you said you ordered "pumpkin and cranberry" (I suddenly have a craving for turkey... hmmm...) from Knit Picks. I'm assuming you got the Wool of the Andes? I'm curious to hear how you like it. I was worried that it might be scratchy, but I've also heard really good things about it, so I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing what you make.

All right! Back to it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I live on the west coast. She lives on the east coast. We discuss crafts in between. Right here: Trans-craft-inental.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 70 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Toad Sculpture Chainsaw Carving Time Lapse
Student Snaps 19th Century Statue While Snapping a Selfie
Expensive Modern Art Thrown Out By Cleaning Lady, Confused With Trash
Willed: The Artists
A Monumental and Ceremonial Culture
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...