A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
441 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 70
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Harry Potter Scarf Knit-Along?  (Read 103028 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , scarf  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

silbi

Crafting is a lifelong itch of mine

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 17, 2006 04:22:39 PM »

here's my progress now! i am past the 12th repeat. 2.5 more to go!

here is a picture for scale. the right side shows how long the unfinished side should be. plus fringe of course.

mind you the colors in these pics suck because its gloomy out and there bad lighting in the house.

but, im so excited! if i have the time, using these circulars let me do a whole repeat a day..and then i need to rest a bit.

DisneyDancer, your scarf looks great! wide is the way to go cuz the movie says so! as for me, my scarf is about 7.5 inches wide and 60 stitches in a round (so thats 4 sts per inch). im using US10.5 16'' circulars. i think i would have been able to use the dpns but the kind i bought were too sticky..cheap joann brand. but i do love dpns, i make socks and many other things with them. i had a pretty good transition from plain flat knitting to knitting with dpns. and from that experience, i figured out how circulars work. but you went from circulars to dpn! what exactly was it that you didnt like about dpns? because im certain if you know how circulars work, dpns should be no problem! maybe its just so many needles in your hands at once? i think that wouldnt be too bad if your needles are not too long.

=)

oh and another thing,
did you know you can knit a tube but on straight needles??
check out the wonders of double knitting:
http://www.pretendingsanity.com/knitting_iframe.php?id=19
« Last Edit: November 18, 2006 10:20:28 AM by silbi » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophia_helix
« Reply #281 on: November 18, 2006 03:04:53 PM »

I just finished a Ravenclaw scarf for my sister (who plays on a "Quidditch team" at her college), and it was something of a scarf purgatory...easy but incredibly dull. I followed the pattern at Atypically.net, and used Unger Utopia acrylic with 70 stitches per round on US6 needles. I will definitely use a nicer yarn and bigger needles next time I make one of these, just to make it more fun for myself.

It's dense and pretty, though, and should keep her warm during those foggy Santa Cruz mornings:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a176/sophia_helix/RavenclawScarf001.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silbi

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 18, 2006 04:24:45 PM »

its beautiful sophia!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sophia_helix
« Reply #283 on: November 18, 2006 05:21:02 PM »

Thanks! I wish I'd had the patience to make mine as long as yours -- and I like the trapped-bar style better too, but my sister didn't. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #284 on: November 19, 2006 08:09:12 AM »

hey guys! I'm joining this becasue I need some encouragement and some harry potter geeks to help me out. I know nothing about harry potter. (saw the first movie that was it) and am making a gryphandor (please excuse my spelling) scarf for a friend for christmas. However I decided since I can't knit I'm using my singer knitting machine. Wink
Hopefully all you HP buffs can help keep me straight. I'm going to have fun trying to add the tassles. Cross you fingers for me! *hugs everyone*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silbi

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2006 03:24:53 PM »

good luck Eliea! you can do it! it cant be that bad at all if you are using a machine. Are you making the original striped version or the trapped bar version of the later movies? well i suppose since you only saw the first movie, it would be the striped one. there are great online resources for the harry potter scarves and adding the fringe. ask questions if you have any and i or someone else in the forum will help you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #286 on: November 19, 2006 04:16:52 PM »

I'm using a singer knitting machine so I'll have to make 2 long pannels and attach them.
Um the scarf that jsut goes red-yellow-red-yellow- In big pannels.
Is there certain number of stripes I should have?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

« Reply #287 on: November 19, 2006 07:09:21 PM »

I've decided that since I just recently learned to knit (YEAH!!) I am going to try to do a Gryffindor scarf for my 11yo daughter for her 12th birthday.  It's not till February, so if I start over Christmas break, I might make it!!  Where's the BEST directions for a new knitter?

Thanks,
Dawn
THIS ROCKS   Logged
silbi

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 19, 2006 07:24:52 PM »

Eliea, this is a very good site: http://knit.atypically.net/scarves/hogwarts/pattern.shtml
She says on there that the official number of stripes is 19. But no one says you need to be exactly matching the movies, unless you really want to! So you are free to make as many stripes as you want.

SevsOnlyGirl, you can also go to the above site for the pattern. However, you may want to size the scarf down since it is for your daughter. Tell me more about how you will be knitting it. What yarn are you thinking of using? Are you comfortable with knitting in the round? Do you have the materials (suitable circular needles or double pointed needles) to knit in the round? If you are not comfortable with knitting in the round, you may want to look here: http://www.pretendingsanity.com/knitting_iframe.php?id=19
Or, do you want to make a flat scarf instead of a tube?

Good luck! and feel free to ask more questions =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitty mcknitknit

I love scotch, scotchy scotch scotch, down it goes

« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2006 06:51:05 AM »

Panic! http://knit.atypically.net/ is not working!

Does anyone know if it's a temporary glitch or if she's offline completely. I hadn't seen any changes for a long time -- there was an old, unaddressed promise of a Ron animal cracker hat, for example -- so I wouldn't be surprised if she's disappeared...

Waaah! I really wanted the Mittmione pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 70 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get the Classic Pleat by Percy and Reed
Jaclyn Smith on Her Hairdo
High-End and Low End Saloon Haircuts
What Frightens Women About Cutting Their Hair
Overcoming Haircut Fears
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #107: Bottle It Up Winner!
Tute Tuesday: Whitman's Sampler
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...