A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,079
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shiny Green Knit Satin Purse  (Read 12812 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ludo
« on: August 21, 2005 01:25:27 PM »

Well, I know that knitting with bias-cut fabric strips has been done by many a craftster, so this isn't the most original alternative material...but do I get extra consideration for the fact that the handles are made of "not approved for use in icemakers (ummm...okay?)" clear plastic tubing from Home Depot? Pretty please?

Close-up view:

The fabric is really cheap-looking polyester satin, but the color was soooo pretty that I had to buy it anyway. The bias strips were tied together end-to-end, and the fraying and irregularity seemed like they added to the fun texture. Cutting the strips on the bias cut down on the amount of crazy-long fraying threads, and made the fabric a little stretchy.

This was a very fast, fun knit. It was just a rectangle, then I used another fabric strip and a giant yarn needle to sew up the sides. Then, I realized that I didn't have any purse handles (or any patience), so I found the plastic tubing I had bought a while back with the intention of trying to make my own addi-turbo-style circular needles http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25372.120, and I used more fabric strips to gather the tops of the knitted rectangle around the tubing.

The two lengths of tubing were formed into circles with an overlap of about 4 inches, which I wrapped in (forgive me)...duct tape. To hide this ghastly makeshiftiness, I tightly wrapped more satin strips around the duct-tape covered areas of the handles and tied it in messy knots.

Of course, I realized that this purse would never hold anything, and that it would stretch out like crazy and quickly fall apart... so I used a rectangle of the satin to make a crude lining and stitched it to the handles and fabric wrapped around the handles.

It is actually very sturdy now, and fun to carry. It did grab a doorknob once, and nearly pulled me down onto the sidewalk, but the purse was fine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chutes to narrow

i have to push the pram a lot...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005 04:59:27 PM »

nice bag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005 06:07:18 PM »

That is a pretty color!

Chutes to Narrow: is the quote under your avatar from Angela's Ashes? I'm reading that book now (it's so good) and that is the only place I have ever heard the word "pram".
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ubercraftygal

and i swear, in that moment, we were infinite.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005 10:20:25 PM »

i LOVE this bag. it's so beautiful and i've never seen one like it before. great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AMBAM08
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005 10:27:57 PM »

That is extremely shiny!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They didn't agree on much. In fact they rarely agreed on anything. They fought all the time and they challenged each other everyday. But in spite of their differences they had one important thing in common. They were crazy about each other.
lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005 10:44:02 PM »

such a lovely color, ludo. props on using the tubing Smiley

Chutes to Narrow: is the quote under your avatar from Angela's Ashes? I'm reading that book now (it's so good) and that is the only place I have ever heard the word "pram".

i'm not chutes to narrow, but i think that's a quote from monty python and the holy grail. i can't guarantee it (because i'm american) but i think the word pram is what the british call strollers.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005 12:32:37 AM by lasandri » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Six
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005 11:48:15 PM »

cutest of all the projects Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference. The opposite of art is not ugliness, it's indifference. The opposite of faith is not heresy, it's indifference. And the opposite of life is not death, it's indifference."

Elie Wiesel
bird nerd
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2005 12:30:51 AM »

That is really neat, and yes, a pretty colour!

British people do call strollers 'pram's, as we do in New Zealand, and we also call them 'buggies'

"the knights of camelot....I have to push the pram a lot!" (or something similar!)
Yes tis from Monty Python....which is great...haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlueJeanBaby

Hello, lover!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005 03:24:02 AM »

such a lovely color, ludo. props on using the tubing Smiley

i'm not chutes to narrow, but i think that's a quote from monty python and the holy grail. i can't guarantee it (because i'm american) but i think the word pram is what the british call strollers.

Oh,I feel a little dumb now. I thought that "pram" was what the British called strollers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ILiveForJesus
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005 07:12:08 AM »

very shiny
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit the Knit Stitch
How to Customize Melt-and-Pour Soap
How to Knit the Purl Stitch
How to Make a Snowy Candle Lantern
How to Make a Handmade Paper Envelope
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...