A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
391 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: college and crafting (what major?)  (Read 1479 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2004 09:37:01 PM »

next year ill be a senior in high school...ive been doing a lot of serious thinking about what i want to major in so that i can decide on what school i want to go to...i always thought i was going to be a teacher but lately ive been seriously thinking about crafting, specifically sewing, for a living....i know it would make me completely happy to be doing that on a daily basis...ive known how to so for around five years but its been a nonstop thing for the last two...id just like to know what kind of opportunities there are out there for doing this...i dont think i really want to go into apparel design or even own my own business...so i was wondering what other kind of fields are there to go into?...what types of majors are there when it comes to this sort of thing?...hopefully some of you can help me out with this...any and all help is completely appreciated...thanks!

(I was thinking about Berea College in Kentucky but im not sure exactly what programs they have for this...if anyone knows anymore about Berea can you please help?)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
kategirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004 09:52:21 PM »

well, I can't really help about what you want, but I just wanted to say that you shouls keep crafting even if you do end up in teaching or something like that!  heck, I'm an engineering major!  a mechanical/biomedical engineering major!  my advisor said that I was the oddest person she'd met (I wanted to take ballet and told her I liked english lit), but that's ok.  I say, do what you love, even if those things don't naturally seem to go together!  never let crafting go.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roysie
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004 10:20:42 PM »

I say, do what you love, even if those things don't naturally seem to go together!  never let crafting go.

Right on! Cool

Just keep pursuing your interests while taking a broad range of classes and something will hit you eventually. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004 06:22:51 PM »

i just wanted to say that i know a little about berea because i got my master's at eastern KY univ, which is close to berea. i evaluated some students who went there and they said they really liked it. and the town of berea is really pretty too. you can look at www.berea.edu to see what  majors they offer. from what i understand, you can go there and help support yourself financially by working at the stores associated with the school. and many stores in the town sell crafts made by students.

are you from that area?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
coffee

i need more coffee...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2004 08:00:29 PM »

if you really want to pursue crafting then make sure you find a college that's going to give you the freedom to do everything you want to do!  the art school i went to was incredibly focused & gave me little room to explore my skills off the computer.  it was a frustrating experience & i am very happy now with my little day-job & sewing & bookbinding at night & weekends.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee drinker,
bookbinder,
quilter &
creature maker
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2004 11:03:59 AM »

i agree that the best education is to take classes in whatever you are interested in. you'll find a way to incorporate all of it into your projects and style. one local designer uses lots of scientific illustrations in her screenprinting, i use software design techniques to plan my knitting, novels have been written about romance and math, etc.

that said, some schools have really cool sewing-related courses! a friend of mine is taking her masters in textile arts at the university of calgary, with a focus on innovation in quilting. another friend is trying to get into fashion design at a polytech institute in ontario. theater departments are another thing to check-- often they have courses on costuming history, construction, design, etc. and of course, it rarely hurts to take a course about small business.

anyhow, best of luck! sounds like fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2004 10:09:48 PM »

thanks everyone for all the help!...tons of great advice is always appreciated...and kabili, im not from there but i lived in kentucky a few years ago...hopefully ill be able to go to college somewhere over there...whatever i end up doing i know ill always keep crafting...couldnt stop if i tried Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
thixle
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2004 02:53:43 AM »

I *almost* went to Berea myself! I didn't go because I had to stay closer to home (for me, Murray State Uni)... But if you can, tour Berea's campus. It has such a laid-back feel to the entire area... and yes, everyone who attends Berea works for the college in different ways-- ceramicists make vessels to sell, textiles are really big there, too. For me, the only down-side were you can't smoke anywhere (indoors or out) on campus... and it was really far away. Other than that, I loved it. And everyone who is accepted recieves at least a partial scholarship, too!

I will be an art teacher soon *2 years to go* and reccomend Berea if you want a strong "craft" background. At MSU, it is more of a "fine art" focused college, with a good, but smaller budget textile program.

sevenislucky-- where in KY did you live?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2004 06:12:13 AM »

After reading this I was trying to think of other careers you could pursue that weren't apparel or owning your own business. Then I thought about how there are helpers off camera on those home improvment shows, like Trading Spaces, or While You Were Out. I suppose that might be a possiblity.

As far as a major goes, I think no matter what you choose make the time to keep your sewing skills sharp. And even taking evening classes at the local quilting store might be a good idea. Those ladies tend to know a lot about sewing.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
cassiemarie
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2004 10:09:16 AM »

I am a sophomore at University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, and my major is Art Education, and I love it so much.  I have been able to use both my art skills and my crafting on a regular basis.  I really like the prospect of having my summers off, and I hope to start at least an online buisness in the near future.  Also, I am going to take some of my creations to local buisnesses to see if i can sell them there.  But anyways, i say cheers to Education!  Also, one of my good friends' sister is in love with sewing as well, and she is going to go to university of minnesota -- twin cities, and major in costume design, so that may be another possibility as well.  Hope this helps!
--Cassie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Todd Bridges Talks About Killing Willis
Tom Rob Smith Talks About Child 44 Part 2
Ashley Bryan Reveals Where He Would Like to Be
Tori Spelling Talks About Her Book
Duck for President Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...