A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,068
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pinstriped Messenger Bag (a bit image heavy!)  (Read 4262 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Hitgirl
« on: August 21, 2005 06:37:55 AM »

Hello Cheesy this is my second attempt at a bag. School's starting and I'm tired of cramming my folders into bags that are too small, so I decided to make my own.  I actually put a lot of thought into this and I think it came out okay.

The bag. Excessive badge usage aagh! My friends brought a hat back from Russia for me and it was covered in badges and I've been using them lately... a lot. The bag's a bit boring so I thought I'd put some of badges on.

This is the flap - you can see the topstitching and the badges up close. Okay, so the Blythe ones aren't from Russia buuut... yeah Cheesy
I salvaged bits of an old broken suitcase and put a big piece inside the flap to make it stronger.

The strap. I harvested the strap off another crappy bag I got at an university fair, and covered it in the pinstriped fabric. This way it's strong and comfy.

The excessive amount of velcro I used for the flap. Looking back I could have made things a lot simpler but oh well.  Wink

The back + zippered pocket. I found my zipper foot after I put the zipper on!  Tongue it's not too nice looking, but when I wear my bag it stays against my body so it's not visible.

I apologise if I went overboard with the photos. I just fixed my camera Tongue

The lining is the same pinstriped fabric. There are a few pockets for little things and pens and stuff but it's too dark to see inside.
All together I used a metre of the fabric, a bit over half a metre of velcro, a zipper (all of which I got at the market), and a few salvaged bits here and there. The whole thing cost me about 3.50 (a bit over $4). I'm very pleased!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2005 08:08:46 AM by Hitgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatlesfan
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005 06:44:10 AM »

Wow, what a professional looking bag. I love the material. What did you use for stiffening? I am still looking at bags and saying I am going to make one but am a little nervous about trying. What would you say is the hardest thing about making that bag?

Believe it or not, I have been a professional seamstress for the past 5 years and I am timid about making a bag! That seems so funny to me.

Keep up the good work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sonia
Hitgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005 06:49:41 AM »

Wow, what a professional looking bag. I love the material. What did you use for stiffening? I am still looking at bags and saying I am going to make one but am a little nervous about trying. What would you say is the hardest thing about making that bag?

Believe it or not, I have been a professional seamstress for the past 5 years and I am timid about making a bag! That seems so funny to me.

Keep up the good work.

Well I didn't. I have no idea where to get interfacing here (I'm living in the Netherlands at the moment). What I did is stitch a bit of that suitcase (heh) to the bottom gusset of the outer bag. It was pretty stiff. And with the stiffer flap, the bag holds it's shape pretty well.

The hardest thing was... stuffing the strap into the new pinstriped cover for it! I got a horrible pain on my wrist. And putting the whole thing together (the lining and the outside part) was pretty hard. Oh and dealing with the fabric... it kept fraying. I made a plan on paper and followed it so everything went smoothly (except I hadn't planned on my machine breaking halfway through making it :/)

But thank you Cheesy It's a pretty straight forward bag, straight stitching everywhere.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005 06:52:27 AM »

i love that bag! A tutorial please! I've seen other messenger bags made on craftster but they seem to small or not my style. What are the dimensions??? TUTORIAL!!!!!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Hitgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005 06:55:32 AM »

i love that bag! A tutorial please! I've seen other messenger bags made on craftster but they seem to small or not my style. What are the dimensions??? TUTORIAL!!!!!!! Smiley

Thanks Cheesy I'll make one if I ever make this bag again!
The dimensions are 8 x 28 x 34 cm I think. That's 3 x 11 x 13 inches if I'm not mistaken. It's basically a bit bigger than an A4.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Loveliness
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005 01:29:34 PM »

Nice bag! I really like the pinstriped fabric and the contrasting zipper.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mingaling88
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005 04:22:35 PM »

YEAH MAN! this bag is awesome!! im planning on making one before school starts..i just hope mine will turn out as good as yours! good job!

ps...do u have a tute for this? pleasy pleasy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing skills have improved so much since I first came here back in 2004... ^_^
stargirl

whatever it takes...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005 05:54:10 PM »

love the pin stripes! what a great fabric
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mickncrispy
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005 01:14:41 AM »

Ah that bag is so me.  I'm a sucker for pin stripes.  And that top badge is gorgeous.  Makes me want to go back to school to justify making one (almost!!!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ive got a perfect body, though sometimes I forget
Ive got a perfect body cause my eyelashes catch my sweat
Yes, they do, they do
Hitgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005 10:11:54 AM »

Thank you guys Cheesy
I'm glad there are plenty people out there appreciating pinstripes Wink

It's a very simple bag really, just make two bags (lining and outside one) and attach a flap and straps and... yep. Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Katy Perry Roars Into Fall With Leather
Luli Fama Spring/Summer 2014 - Swimwear - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Biggest Fall Fashion Trends
DIY Cut Off Denim Shorts
Luxury Lounge-Wear for Less: Cozy Up in Style and on a Budget
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...