A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 298,757
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "scrap" afghan, *edited for a backside pic (first post)  (Read 29306 times)
Tags for this thread: afghan , tutorial , pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

myrLegacy
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005 12:59:15 PM »

It took me about 6 months, off and on.  each square took about 15 minutes.  what i loved about this project was that i could carry it everywhere and work on it anywhere i wanted. i'd take little balls of yarn to my friend's apt, and even to work, and they never minded that i was working on it.   i started it after my ex and i broke up, and it was about me trying to deal with it.  very theraputic. my friend told me that i never managed to finish projects, and i thought this would be a good one to make her eat her words.

i hate hate hate weaving in ends too, so i asked around some more experienced crocheters and they told me that i can crochet my ends as i go along.  i don't think it's as secure as weaving in ends, but hey, i'm lazy.  Roll Eyes and i didn't sew it together either -- i hate doing that too -- so i singlie crocheted and slip stitched it together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alynxia
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005 04:22:17 PM »

Wow. I commend you for your persistance (and colour bravery)!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I reject your reality and substitute my own...
reitsellovzier
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005 06:28:11 PM »

i hate hate hate weaving in ends too, so i asked around some more experienced crocheters and they told me that i can crochet my ends as i go along.  i don't think it's as secure as weaving in ends, but hey, i'm lazy.  Roll Eyes and i didn't sew it together either -- i hate doing that too -- so i singlie crocheted and slip stitched it together.

First of all, your afghan is AMAZING. It inspires me to make one of my own, but I'll just use square granny squares because I'm not that experienced at all. Also, what do you mean by weaving/crocheting in the ends? Are the ends you're talking about the ends from where you changed colors?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
myrLegacy
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005 10:20:58 PM »

The traditional/more common way to weave in ends -- you know, the little tails that you have left over when you change colors/yarns that dangle -- by taking like a yarn needle and kind of weaving it through what you've already crocheted so that it doesn't show.  i've heard from some people that you don't want to leave just a big knot in the end of your crocheting, so if you leave a little tail -- long enough that you can use a needle to work it into your piece so it doesn't show -- you can tuck that back into the work so it looks like just one piece of fabric without knot lumps.  What I do when i change colors is as i'm building a new row of crocheting on top of my last row, i take the little end, and i hold it flat against the last row i did and pretend that it's part of the last row so it just gets trapped between rows.  When I join granny squares, I hold them right sides facing together, with the ends at the edge of the pieces and then i single crochet through both granny squares at the same time.  It's something that I learned in a crochet class.  BUT i'm not sure how well this method works because i haven't really put my afghan through too much wear and tear yet.

i hope that makes sense  Grin ...  (if it doesn't, pm me and i'll take some snapshots while i'm doing it and post it)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aeillill

blood hungry cannibalistic unfit family ties

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2005 09:31:51 AM »

That is beautiful!  I've been trying to make one similair to this for a while, I just lack the persistance to make all of the pieces.  Really excellent job though
THIS ROCKS   Logged

laden autumn, here I stand
reitsellovzier
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2005 01:46:21 PM »

Oh! I get what you're saying now. My mom actually tried to teach me how to do that once but I didn't get it when she explained it to me. Thank you for telling me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
supergirle
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2005 02:08:03 PM »

I would totally buy something like that off of you cause I dont have the skills or patience to make one myself lets discuss it sometime if you are interested or able!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Reba
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2005 04:12:26 PM »

You've definitely inspired me--I always have a hard time finishing projects, but I think since it's broken up into smaller parts I might be able to do it!  It's a beautiful afghans, I love the colors.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
night_owl
Crafty Mom

I love being a mom!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2005 04:49:56 PM »

Sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm newish to crochet)....how did you make each piece??  I would love to make something like this (it looks a lot like a quilt I'm working one) but as I'm new to this I don't know where to turn.  Could you give me a link to a pattern or maybe a few tips to point me in the right direction??
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005 08:43:03 AM by night_owl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog

I'm back after a long time away and trying to find time to craft as I adjust to life as a mom!
myrLegacy
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2005 09:19:13 PM »

it's a basic 6 sided granny square that my crochet teacher taught us.
if you have any questions about the abbreviations, let me know

ch 5, join w slip stitch to form ring.

rnd 1 (rs): ch 3 (counts as 1st dc), dc in ring, ch 1, (2 dc in ring, ch 1) 5 times; join w sl st to first dc: 6 ch-1 sps.

rnd 2 (rs): ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same sp, ch 1, (2 dc, ch 1) twice in each ch-1 sp around; join with sl st to first dc: 12 ch-1 sps.

rnd 3 (rs): ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same sp, ch 1, 2 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, * (2 dc, ch 1) twice in next ch-1 sp, 2 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1; rep from *; join w sl st to first dc: 18 ch-1 sps.

rnd 4 (rs): ch 3, (dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in same sp, ch 1, (2 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) twice, * (2 dc, ch 1) twice in next ch-1 sp, (2 dc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1) twice; rep from * around. join w sl st to first dc, finish off.

change colors between rounds whenever you feel like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Underwear That Flatters Your Figure
Picking the Right Panties For Your Body
3 Lightweight Hoodies For Spring Workouts
Picking Out the Perfect Sunglasses
How to Find the Right Size Shoe For You
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...