A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 307,235
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: lowfat dishes  (Read 851 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

samglam209
Chefsalad

I love crafting!<3

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2005 05:37:59 PM »

Hi everybody my brother is trying to lose some wait to stay on his team for football and I am trying to get some ideas for good lowfat dishes.If anyone has any ideas that would be greatly appreciated.Thanx! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yes I am a dork.I play video games,I like computer's and I craft.If you have anything new and important to tell me then please be my guest.Otherwise shut the hell up!
McAuliflower
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005 07:00:21 PM »

this is a pretty wide ranging request!

Check out Cooking Light magazine.  They have good lowfat versions of dishes and give nutritional data for all of the recipes.

I'm gonna take a stab in the dark here- does your brother drink soda?  Alot? If he weaned himself to diet (start out half regular half diet) soda I bet he would lose weight.  This is a total assumption though.  If he is the sort to drink only soda as his fluid for the day, that would be an easy fix.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
16candles
Impulsive Letter Writer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005 07:11:04 PM »

to go with the soda comment, also cutting down on sweets helps.  since i got my braces on and stopped eatting candy and really gooey stuff, my mom is worried i've been losing weight.  other things is portion sizes, as well as alcohol consumption.
also just the types of the foods he is eating, leaner meats are better.  i'm not sure of recipes but googling it would be simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fashion is feeding us identification.
http://www.geocities.com/dropdowngorgeous/
lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005 03:57:02 AM »

stirfry, steam or bake food (don't cover it in oil to bake it), rather than frying...
just a general tip.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allie-loki
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005 04:51:21 AM »

if he really likes baked sweets try to look into vegan versions of everything (vegweb.com is a good site). a lot of times the fats in recipes are replaced with mashed bananas, apple sauce, and egg replacers (there's a recipe there for egg replacer too). it wont taste the same as regular versions but it might help him during sugar cravings. and basically get him to eat more vegetables and legumes and less fried and fatty foods. for example, a vegetarian chili is a lot lighter than a meat-packed chili and actually slightly easier to prepare.

tell him to have fresh fruit and sliced veggies in his bag at all times. this way if he gets hungry he'll be less likely to get a junk snack. i like to also carry a little serving of LIGHT bbq sauce to dip my veggies in. low-fat pop corn with toppings is also a good snack and is a LOT better than chips or doritos.

do you guys go out to restaurants a lot? if so tell him to ask the waiters to put sauces on the side (so he can control the amount) to leave out the butter on the veggies, to steam instead of stir fry veggies, broil instead of saute meats, etc. he can also ask them to take the bread basket away.

i also like to drink a tall glass of water before i eat when i can feel ill eat more than i should. it fills you up a bit before you even start to eat so there's less space for food in your stomach. i dont know if doctors would think this is a good idea but it works for me.

also... i dont know if he eats breakfast but he should! lunch should be his bigger meal rather than dinner. he should also try not to eat too much for 2-3hrs before bedtime.

ok so you asked for recipes but i didnt give you any. i hope this helps anyway.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2005 05:08:58 AM by allie-loki » THIS ROCKS   Logged
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005 04:59:13 AM »

i like www.allrecipes.com -- on there, you can choose what type of dishes you're looking for, such as vegetarian, low-fat, low-carb, as well as what type of meal. then, the individual recipes get rated by users, so if people haven't had a lot of success with a particular recipe, it's pretty easy to tell. also easy to tell if they liked something. there are also some comments in there, to let you know what went right/wrong. i didn't trust the ratings at first, but my experience roughly copied other users, so it works. LOADS of recipes.
and i personally love meringue cookies. buy them in the grocery. come in many flavors. no fat and like 10 calories a piece for the small ones. (there are larger ones, so check the label) i eat them for a chocolate fix.
hope that helps...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
chainsaw_mclusky
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005 01:49:52 PM »

I quit buying cookbooks thanks to allrecipes.com!!

It is seriously the best site.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2005 05:37:25 PM »

allrecipes is good, but it's not the best.
it has no crafts.
 Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
pinkcurtains
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005 11:28:02 PM »

i love allrecipes.com!  so many good things, and categorized so great!

allrecipes is good, but it's not the best.
it has no crafts.
 Tongue

around, my site has crafts and cooking!  www.misstechnicolor.com Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 1/5
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 2/5
How to Crochet a Thick Square Blanket Part 2/2
How to Crochet a Tire Tread Blanket Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Star Shape Part 8/8
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...