A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
502 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Need cocktail party appetizer recipes!  (Read 4030 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LolaLouise
« on: April 15, 2004 02:58:08 PM »

My friend and I are throwing a cocktail party this weekend and I am in charge of the food. Now, one place that I am not crafty would be the kitchen. I need some EASY appetizer and nibbly food recipes.
I don't just want to try some recipe site. I'd like to have recipes from people who actually like them!
Please, pretty please! I am so desparate!  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Becky65301
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004 03:14:02 PM »

You can make a pan of "nacho dip", that's easy to do.

Let's see... 9 x 13 pan, or some sort of casserole dish.

Put down a layer of refried beans on the bottom.  

If you want to do meat, cook up some hamburger with taco seasoning and put a layer of that.

Then a layer of lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, sour cream, cheese, whatever you want.  Serve with a big spoon and lots of tortilla chips on the side.

It's best to do the bean and meat layer first, even the day before, and just prep the other stuff.  Then right before the party, heat up the beans and meat (just maybe like 350 degrees for 20 minutes or so), take it out and add the veggie layers, so the bean layer is still warm underneath.  Yummy.

I was also at a party recently where they basically did this same thing... refried beans with taco seasoning mixes in, and the veggies, spread on tortillas and then they were rolled, then cut into bite-size pieces.  

You can roll up lots of stuff in a tortilla- you can do fresh veggies cut up really small and mixed in with cream cheese, ham and cream cheese, you can even really cheat and buy pre-made spread.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LolitaContrer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004 03:18:54 PM »

I don't know what kind of atmosphere your party will have but we hame some chilli cheese tater tots in a pretty pie dish that everyone loves.  Just cook some frozen tater tot things in a baking dish, heat some canned organic chili over the stove, and grate a bunch of cheese.  put the tater tots in the pie dish, pour chili over the top, and sprinkle with lots of cheese, pop back in over for like 5 minutes to get all melty.  mmmmmm.....superbow l food
THIS ROCKS   Logged

memling
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2004 06:42:25 AM »

Hi!  If you haven't already, check out my post a few notches below yours on this same board titled "Leftover Pizza Canapes."  They really come out looking swell and classy, like catered appetizers.  And not only a delicious treat but also a perfect conversation piece for a cocktail party - no one will know they were cut out from cold pizza until you tell them and then there will be peals of delight and admiration for your cleverness!  Now, I've never actually crunched the numbers on this project, price-wise, because the one time I did it I was just using leftover slices of pizza that I had on hand.  But figure one small pizza with two toppings (I recommend half something-and-something and half somethingelse-and-somethingelse) yields 24 hors d'oeuvres.  I guess that's about .50/each?  Remember to order the pizza the night BEFORE your party and refrigerate it.

And about the tater tots (brilliant suggestion), I always get raving reviews from my guests when I serve a platter of them plain, with  a frilly toothpick in each and an assortment of innovative sauces from which to choose for dipping.

And cocktail franks are fun to make with those tiny hot dogs and crescent roll dough from your grocer's refrigerated foods section!  Again, frilly toothpicks and fun sauces.

And for true cocktail swish, don't forget the dishes of savory-crunchies like smoked almonds, wasabi peas, etc.

Have a great party!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tracey
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2004 10:16:20 AM »

These may sound scarey but they are very good.  I have never ever even had one appetizer left over and have made them countless times!

Bacon - Water Chestnuts

Take one can of whole water chestnuts and drain them, then cut them in half

Take a package of bacon anc cut it in half.

Line a baking dish with foil

Take a piece of chestnut and wrap it in a slice of bacon, secuiring it with a toothpick.

When all the appetizers are wrapped bake them in the oven at 350 degrees for 1/2 an hour.

Make a sauce using 1 cup of brown sugar, 1 cup of ketchup, and 2 to 3 tablespoons of soy sauce.

After 1/2 an hour is up remove and drain the fat. Pour the sauce over, (or dip them individually) and bake another 1/2 hour
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Love your ememies..... It will drive them nuts!
LolaLouise
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004 10:45:47 AM »

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Cocktail Party Success!
I used both the chili-cheese tator-tot recipe and the mexican dip recipes. They were verra, verra good. Also made chicken salad on croissant sandwiches. Also an easy-sneezy crab ball. I got that recipe from my mom. We also had bowls of olives, pickles, cheese, chips, crackers and dips. It was very much fun.
I can't wait to try the pizza recipe and the water chestnut recipe. LOVE water chestnuts.
Thanks for all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Japanese Calligraphy Art
Supervillain Origins: The Shocker
Self-Portrait by Charlene Lanzel
Wonder Woman by Charlene Lanzel
Edie Superstar by Charlene Lanzel
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...