A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,557
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: A different kind of soda can lantern (with five-pic tutorial!)  (Read 8976 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melosond
« on: August 20, 2005 02:58:20 PM »

I've wanted to make these for ages, and I finally got around to finishing one.

-Optional: Using some fine sand paper, sand the color off of the soda can. This is a giant pain in the neck and might not be worth it in the end, though it does make it a nice shade of silver. If you're going to do this I recommend using lighter colored cans (like Diet Dr. Pepper, which is mostly white) because some spots of color just refuse to come off. Also beware of the stuff that comes off -- I got a tiny shard of metal in my toe. It seemed to be the only one of its kind, but still. Ow.

After sanding and poor freehand design:

-Using a can opener, take the lid off of a soda can (I'd recommend rinsing the can out and shaking off the excess water). The opener will grip the top rim and cut out the inside. You might need to go around a few times until it comes all the way off. Then when it does, run the can opener around it again -- this will bend down any sharp parts.

-If you're not using a pattern then use a thumbtack (I recommend one that sticks out as it's easier to control) to stab away in random or freehand drawing-style ways into the can. It'll dent a bit, but you can easily bend it back. I've heard good things about freezing water in the can so it won't dent, but when I did that it split the metal (I might've left it too long). You can also use your fingers to brace the can but OH BE CAREFUL OF YOUR POOR FINGERS! They might be stabbed!

-If you're using a pattern tape it down tightly to the can. The more secure it is the easier it is to read and follow. See how mine is not so tight (if you can even see it in this pic) as I ran out of tape:

-Using the aforementioned thumbtack poke holes along the pattern. Points are kind of difficult to do, so be aware. Again, PLEASE OH PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF YOUR FINGERS!

Moving on!

-Since I don't much care for having what appears to be an empty soda can hanging out in my room I decided to paint mine with acrylic paint, and then a coat of Mod Podge. And I have to say that I was not pleased with the streaky, uneven appearance of the Mod Podge when I put on the first coat. I recommend painting the Mod Podge on, and then wetting your brush or sponge with some water and then going over it again. It'll drip and take a little longer to dry, but I think it makes it smoother. I think.

Um, keep in mind that if you're holding it and you paint the whole thing (including the bottom) then it might be hard to put down. I kind of forgot that. Heh.

And now you might have something like this:

And in the dark:

If you're going to put a candle in the bottom (as opposed to the flashlight that I used for the above picture) then use something like the handle of a screwdriver and pound the convex bottom down. Or if you're handy with sharp cutting things, take the bottom off.

If you want to hang it you can use a hole punch to punch holes in either side (see top picture), then thread some wire through (not string -- a candle would burn through it).

OR you can punch holes in the top (like in the top picture) and then clip it from the hole to the rim (I used wire cutters), and with some gentle bending you could lay christmas lights inside and hang them from your walls. (In the pic I used my headphone cord because my lights are packed away).

If you aren't going to hang them you can just punch holes in the back with a strong, thick nail and insert the light into it.

Fast! Easy!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2005 03:52:08 PM by melosond » THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlackMarketBaby
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005 03:04:10 PM »

Very nice - they look really classy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ms_Brightside

Creativity is a drug I cannot live without.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005 03:40:39 PM »

Thats a great idea!

I remember reading about those sorts of lamps when we learned about pioneers in second grade, and I always loved looking at the designs. I love the design you chose, and I commend you for your patience.

Just a question, but rather than sanding off the color, couldn't you just spray it with spraypaint or something? Then again, theres the risk of flammability...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schi118
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2005 05:37:49 PM »

i used to use M.E.K. for taking the paint off of altoids tins... (it comes off quickly)   i bet that'll work on soda cans!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ILiveForJesus
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005 05:44:01 PM »

cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
melosond
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005 08:19:27 PM »

Thanks for the positive replies!

Hey schi118, what's M.E.K? I've never heard of it but I'm intrigued!

Ms_Brightside: Spraypaint probably would work just fine. I remember seeing something on TV about the same project using soup cans that had been spray painted (and drilled for the holes). I just used acrylic (without sanding!) because it was cheap and easy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

schi118
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2005 11:39:43 PM »

m.e.k. is methyl ethyl ketone... they sell it right next to paint thinner in the hardware section of walmart 
i think people use it to make crack or something, so you can't get it in large quantities
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Reen
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005 07:11:54 PM »

I think this is so cool, I can't wait to give it a try this weekend!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melosond
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005 10:03:23 AM »

Reen: Ooh, will you post your results?? I'd love to see them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

stoliedina
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005 06:06:33 PM »

Very nice, thanks for the tute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Exposure, Shutter Speeds and Aperture
Information About ISO and Light Settings
How to Select a Digital Camera for Beginners
How to Take High Fashion Photos
Underwater Digital Photography - Part 2/2
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...