A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,099
Currently Running With Scissors:
573 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: scarves and other stuff!  (Read 5474 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

misslulette
« on: April 15, 2004 01:15:51 PM »

okay i had a question for everyone! i just posted up my knit accessory site ( www.lulette.com )  and some people have been (with good reason) pondering whether machine-knit things should be called handmade....what do you think about that?

i tend to feel fine saying that theyre handmade (not handknit) because of the hand labor involved in creating them...even tho the machine saves time, 1600x moving a carriage across a needlebed and then pressing/steaming and all that fun stuff is WORK!

but what do you crafters our there think? is it okay for me to call them handmade??

heres a pic of one:
http://www.lulette.com/deathbeforedisco.jpg
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007 01:59:43 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please do not hotlink to an image that you do not own » THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit www.lulette.com ! scarves and knit accessories!
krampalicious

fire in the disco!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004 10:57:26 AM »

as cute as that is, i don't think it can be considered handmade.  i know you're still working some with your hands, but there's something to be said about working the yarn yourself with your own two hands and a pair of needles and nothing else.  

for instance, if i were to recieve something knit on two needles from someone, it would mean more to me than if someone just dashed it off on a knitting machine.  does that make sense?  and it means more to me to knit something for someone by hand because of all the effort and planning and time i put into it.  

anyway, having said that, it's a hella sexy scarf nonetheless.  ;-)  cheers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mojo
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004 11:15:25 AM »

I have to agree with krampalicious here.  Calling these things "handmade" is akin to calling a cake made from a mix "homemade."  Yes, it took work-- you still had to add an egg and stir, but it's not the same as making something from scratch.  Still, very cute designs you've got there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

scandibird
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004 12:21:05 PM »

I'm slightly ambivalent about this one, keep changing my mind as I write this...
Think I'm leaning towards NOT handmade, but nevertheless, they're definetly SELF-DESIGNED (aren't they?) so they are consequently YOUR CREATION!
And in my book, designing and creating is crafting (!) so that would make me lean towards handmade....  Huh as you can tell... not sure.
All I know is that I really like them! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nanobrid

yarn for brains

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004 01:41:11 PM »

How about original machine-knitted instead of handmade? I agree that machine knitting manually is hard labour in itself, so don't let a machine take all the credit.
BTW, those are the styliest things I have seen on this board ever! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misslulette
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004 02:41:18 PM »

thanks for the input, everyone! and im glad everyone likes the stuff!

i totally wanted some crafter opinion on this matter......this stuff will be marketed in kinda urban trendy/upscale boutiques for the most part, but since its stuff i create i wanted it to have a handcrafted quality to it as well......

this topic totally sparked discussion in a crochet forum on livejournal, too, oddly enough! someone i didnt know posted about my things and couldnt figure out if they were knit with 2 needles or not....well, if i knit those with 2 needles it would take WEEKS. 1600 rows of knitting in there! and of course could never be sold for any profit. well, i guess thats along with so many garments out there in the industry.........

so thanks for the input.....i guess i didnt want to sound insincere when i stress the handcraft part.......i wonder what the fashionistas who would purchase them would think....like the sweaters that say 'handknitted' on the tag really mean that there was a person manually operating a knitting machine vs. having an automated machine do all the work. do you think this is the same diff at all? i love feedback on this! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004 03:23:22 PM »

hmm... this is definitely an interesting question. there is definitely some element of handicraft involved here. it's not as if these things were made in a factory in taiwan. but i think the others are right - you can't say "hand-knit" because that implies that it was you, 2 needles, and long hours of hand-knitting. it's like the difference between my making clothes that i cut out by hand and sew on my machine versus going to the mall and buying mass-produced stuff.

i think we need a linguistics professor to answer our question! hehe. maybe there needs to be some new lingo invented to discuss how things are crafted. i think the keys here are that you create them one by one instead of their being mass-produced and that even though a machine is involved, the process is not fully automated. maybe instead of a one-word description, you need to have a longer blurb to explain that "each piece is crafted individually using a hand operated loom."

(i guess knitting machines aren't looms, really, but i think that gives people a better idea of what's happening.) hey, that makes me think - what about rugs that are made on a hand-operated loom. are those referred to as being hand-crafted?  Huh it seems like they are.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
abricot
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2004 03:32:24 PM »

Now this topic has got me wondering.... What would you call something that may not suit the purist level of "handmade" but it is also not mass produced by big machines in a factory somewhere?

I may be the only one, but unless you got some uber fancy computerized knitting machine that required little to no help in the operation... I would still consider the scarfs to be handcrafted or even handmade... While I do not machine knit, I have noticed some of the machines require much more help in operation, from a living being, than one would think... I may be totally wrong on this one, but in my brain I've always thought of machine knitting as sort of like weaving, in theory at least... lol

I've noticed many mass produced objects that liberally use the terms "handmade", so I'm not going to knock something as being "handmade" when it is quite possible that the creator did a much more hands on approach than any big factory has ever done...

As far as the term "hand knitted" goes... I have also noticed many big companies liberally using that term... Though I am far from an expert knitter, it has always been my understanding that hand knitted applied to the use of two needles or circulars... In the end I think a lot more feathers would be ruffled if the term "hand knitted" was used vs. "handmade"

but that is all just IMHO Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2004 04:07:32 PM »

How about "Individually Crafted" or "Made For You By..." which are accurate descriptions that still leave room for the interpretation or understanding that an item was created by a person and not a machine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
misslulette
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2004 06:59:39 PM »

How about "Individually Crafted" or "Made For You By..." which are accurate descriptions that still leave room for the interpretation or understanding that an item was created by a person and not a machine.

thats a great idea! i might just go put that up there now!

yeah its just SO HARD determining what to say...of course i like to think theyre handcrafted or whatever because i know the labor and skill involved...and yeah its not being produced by kids or on some automated knitting machine....

this is what my machine looks like, except i have a ribber attachment which is basically a second bed attached to it....so what i have to do essentially is create the patterns, enter them into the little computer on the machine which makes making ALL THOSE LETTERS a lot easier, and set the machine to read the pattern and then SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE SWIPE till the arm hurts.....its a lot to learn but totally good fun!

im rambling, but the 'individually crafted' may be the solution to the issue!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Scott Westerfeld and Alan Cumming: Behemoth Audio Book
The Search for WondLa Book Trailer
Touring the Vampirates Office with Justin Somper
Amelia Rules! Book Trailer
Victoria Rowell Unveils Calysta Jeffries
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...