A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
610 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: canadian swappers...trouble sending to u.s.?  (Read 2187 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fruithead
« on: August 20, 2005 08:35:12 AM »

so this is half-rant/half-question...

i am so frustrated! i sent a package to sedrasmom in the u.s. (i'm in ontario, canada) weeks and weeks ago and it still hasn't reached her yet. my first two swaps went smoothly. the first was a bookmark swap and the second was within canada but my first craft swap to the u.s. has been a disaster! it's annoying to put all that effort into a swap (well it was a cd swap, but still took effort) and the recipient hasn't even gotten it yet. it's especially bad when i got hers no problem. i feel like a flake and it's not my fault.

has anyone else had problems sending packages from canada to the u.s.? i just sent a package out for another swap to oregon and i'm hoping this doesn't happen again. does anyone know why this happens? does customs just like to hold things? how can i avoid this?

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftydame
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2005 06:55:47 PM »

so this is half-rant/half-question...

i am so frustrated! i sent a package to sedrasmom in the u.s. (i'm in ontario, canada) weeks and weeks ago and it still hasn't reached her yet. my first two swaps went smoothly. the first was a bookmark swap and the second was within canada but my first craft swap to the u.s. has been a disaster! it's annoying to put all that effort into a swap (well it was a cd swap, but still took effort) and the recipient hasn't even gotten it yet. it's especially bad when i got hers no problem. i feel like a flake and it's not my fault.

has anyone else had problems sending packages from canada to the u.s.? i just sent a package out for another swap to oregon and i'm hoping this doesn't happen again. does anyone know why this happens? does customs just like to hold things? how can i avoid this?

thanks

i do a lot of swaps, and i haven't had much of a problem sending to the us. sometimes customs does take awhile (especially during the customs strike!), but it's not usually TOO bad. though my sister did have a cd that she sent to a friend in washington dc take over a month to get there!

it sounds like an (unfortunate) fluke. i'm sorry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
fruithead
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005 07:09:18 PM »

well, it's good to know this won't be a regular thing. i'd hate to limit my swapping to canada only. i love my fellow canadians but half the fun is getting something from someone far away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ax174
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2005 05:46:49 AM »

It's more expensive, but if you insure your parcel, it'll go by air which takes a week, and you'll get a DC which you can track online.  I usually spend $10-$15 per parcel.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

moilulu
I have no idea what I'm doing!

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005 05:58:13 AM »

first swap cost me $22 to get a OC & send a purse & some pins to the States
I'm sure I got screwed post office was full, girl was frustrated, it was hot,had the baby with me,people in line & I'm trying to ask Q's so I just said OK OK OK send it

swap # 2 is taking a slow boat by way of China & on only $3 just take a bit longer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a day without knitting is like a month without sunshine

I will knit for you in a personal swaps !!!!
(cause that's what I do!)

http://www.wists.com/moilulu
giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005 06:06:25 AM »

Maybe it has something to do with CD's if both packages mentioned were CD's.  Could it be that you're sending pirated music accross the border?  I'm not sure, but that could have something to do with it.  I hope your CD reaches the recipient soon.  I've sent a few things to the US now from New Brunswick and no trouble here, knock on wood.  Good luck and happy swapping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NessaGurl
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005 06:12:23 AM »

Hey Fruithead...I totally feel your pain...I've had problems with Canada Post before, earlier this year I sent a package out to the US, and it took a little over a month to get to the destination. And its frustrating cause a lot of times, as soon as the package crosses the border its not always tracked. Well, this is what Canada Post has told me anyways. If you got a DC# then I would suggest calling Canada Post and inquiring about the package. I sent a package for my Ani swap on Sept 4th and the person still hasn't recieved it, and when I check the tracking on-line, it just says out for delivery...so I'm gonna have to call them today...

Grrrrr...I am so frustrated...I know how you feel, but it will arrive eventually.

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
fruithead
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005 03:23:42 PM »

well it arrived eventually, probably not as late as i thought since my swap partner forgot to tell me she got it. no big deal. i'm just glad it got there. a package i sent since then got to the states in no time. i guess that stupid postage system is just completely unpredictable. grr.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
andi_sunrider
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005 08:27:46 AM »

It really depends if it gets stopped at customs. The CD i sent wasn't pirated, it was still wrapped, but it still took over two months (my sis is misinformed:)), sent right about now, and received about Nov. 29.

DCs are just that -- they're usually to confirm delivery, not to be able to track at each place it stops in its journey. You want tracking if you want to be able to follow it. And the problem I ran into with the aforementioned CD -- when it's in customs being held up, CP can't do anything about it. It also depends where the package goes through for customs -- some areas are way busier than others. When I mailed that CD, the clerk person told me it would take a week for CP and USPS to do thier bit, but that it might take a week in customs cuz they're backed up. So I guess, to be fair, she did warn me....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy. com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
craftydame

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005 05:40:53 PM »

It really depends if it gets stopped at customs. The CD i sent wasn't pirated, it was still wrapped, but it still took over two months (my sis is misinformed:)), sent right about now, and received about Nov. 29.

DCs are just that -- they're usually to confirm delivery, not to be able to track at each place it stops in its journey. You want tracking if you want to be able to follow it. And the problem I ran into with the aforementioned CD -- when it's in customs being held up, CP can't do anything about it. It also depends where the package goes through for customs -- some areas are way busier than others. When I mailed that CD, the clerk person told me it would take a week for CP and USPS to do thier bit, but that it might take a week in customs cuz they're backed up. So I guess, to be fair, she did warn me....

dude, you know that was during the strike, so that's totally not a valid example. and MAYBE if the employer wasn't so awful, it wouldn't have happened. there shouldn't have even been a strike, so if you're gonna hold a grudge, hold it against the cdn gvnt instead. that was so totally not customs' fault.

though i admit that i was wrong about how long it took. are you SURE you mailed it around this time last year?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizbot

is it just me or is it getting awesome in here?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005 05:51:19 PM »

i've never had trouble sending stuff to the states. i always go the small packets/ airmail route and things usually get there in about 3 days. as well, it's cheaper to send to the US from Canada then to send a package within Canada. go figure. the only downside is that you can't get DC when you send to the states unless you go xpresspost which is about $10 more and only lets you know when it's left and when it's received and nothing in between. i figure if a package somehow gets lost, i have the receipts from the post office and i have pictures of the items i sent to prove that i didn't flake and i don't mind making a few things and sending a replacement package if i only had to spend $5 to ship it in the first place.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

andi_sunrider
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005 07:08:19 PM »

though i admit that i was wrong about how long it took. are you SURE you mailed it around this time last year?

Yup. I bought the CD at the Tegan and Sarah concert, and mailed it within a week. Julia called me the day it arrived, which was the Friday before the presessional workshop, on the 29 or 30 of Nov.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LusciousPearl.etsy. com
I'm a sewer, and artist, and generally all-around creative person with more fabric in my stash than I know what to do with!
craftydame

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005 07:11:17 PM »

Yup. I bought the CD at the Tegan and Sarah concert, and mailed it within a week. Julia called me the day it arrived, which was the Friday before the presessional workshop, on the 29 or 30 of Nov.

pkay, i bow down to your mailing memory.... though i do remember the awesome packaging quite clearly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NessaGurl
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2005 05:47:55 AM »

I just sent a package to the states...only to find out that they opened the package and took the cd's I sent...Grrrrr...I feel so violated! and sorry for my swap partner, cause she got screwed...but whats a girl to do. I think it prolly got taken at customs.

Grrrr...guess I won't be sending CD's anymore...has anyone else had this problem???

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
fruithead
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2005 05:05:41 PM »

I just sent a package to the states...only to find out that they opened the package and took the cd's I sent...Grrrrr...I feel so violated! and sorry for my swap partner, cause she got screwed...but whats a girl to do. I think it prolly got taken at customs.

Grrrr...guess I won't be sending CD's anymore...has anyone else had this problem???

NessaGurl

really? i just signed up for the 6 way indie rock swap (a cd swap) and all 5 cd's i have to send are for the states. now i'm not so sure if i should go through with it.  Huh

how'd you find out customs opened them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2005 05:32:56 AM »

Fruithead...actuall y I'm not sure if it was opened at customs or at the post office in the US??? Not sure, but my husband just mentioned that they might have taken it at the customs cause the US has a WAY more strict policy about downloaded and pirated music then here in Canada! We are however looking into it. I have done CD swaps before and I have had no problem, this was the first problem I have had, but it might have been because I had sent 4 CD's...so maybe if its just one, they won't think twice about it...Anyhoo, just in case, I don't think I'll be sending CD's anymore!

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist

taloola

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005 02:42:19 PM »

is it common that postage takes forever from the states to canada?  i sent brokenpencil a package for the ongoing swap like a month ago and she has yet to recieve it?  do they sometimes just confiscate things at customs or what?!  what would they want with her handle bag!  geeez.  it is frustrating.  any ideas as to what might have happened would be appreciated!
angie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

giggleycraft
I'm normal.... it's the rest of the world that's insane.

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005 02:50:37 PM »

Sometimes things get caught up at the border for some reason or another; they usually get through eventually.  I've never had a problem sending to the US. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2005 11:25:14 AM »

For Taloola, from the US to Canada, it is really, really important that you mark the package as a gift on the customs sticker, and that you make the reported value low (ie, cost of materials, not what you would retail it for) as if it is commercial and/or has too high a value, your swap partner would have to pay duty.  It can be a lot of duty - one lady I know was charged $80 duty on a $20 package!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
taloola

Midwiffin' @ Mother By Nature Midwifery!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2005 01:47:30 PM »

that is super good to know.  thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose a Tankini
How to Choose the Correct Swimsuit Size
How to Choose a One-Piece Swimsuit
How to Choose a Monokini
How to Choose a Micro Bikini
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...