A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,708
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL: delightful back-to-school carry-all  (Read 93958 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , purse  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Randa326
« on: August 20, 2005 07:52:21 AM »

Hey everyone!
 well fall is approaching (and i for one can not wait! i LOVE autumn)... and that means back-to-school ! my fall semester starts in about two weeks and seeing as i wont have alot of time to do much crafting once the work starts getting piled on, i decided i would try to get it out of my system (which of course never works), and create a new book bag at the same time! any-who... here's what i came up with, with no real pattern or concrete plan...  one idea, 4 zippers, 2 spools of thread, 5(ish) yards of fabric, and 6 hours later I have this:

Here's the front with the pocket closed:

which, once opened, shows its usefulness as an handy storage area for electronic devices:

hmmm... how wide/big is this bag? you might wonder...
top:

big enough to fit (at least); one binder, two books, a regular notebook, and a daily planner (you may not be able to see all of them in the picture but i assure you they're all in there):

also writing utensils:

and a calculator:

and both are fully lined in the opposing fabric (b/c i am anal hehe):

and finally the action shot:

well, that's that. i hope you enjoy it as much as i do! thanks for looking!

~Miranda

***EDIT***

Tutorial:

These are the materials you need to start with:

You have to base the size of the pieces according to the size of the bag you want. If you want one large enough to hold books, measure the dimensions of the books.
Apply the length and width to the sides of the Outer and Inner material, and then apply the dimension of depth to the edging material (remember to add an extra inch on each side for sewing).

Step 1:
In the first step you will make the zippered pockets. Instead of going through the whole process here are 2 links to great tutorials on making lined zippered pockets:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10066.0
and
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11808.0

I added 2 zipper pockets to the Inner fabric and 1 to the Outer fabric:

Step 2:
The next step is making the straps and adding them to the Outer material:

Gather the material pieces:

Take the thick canvas material and put it in the middle of the strap fabric on the opposite side (the fabric is supposed to actually be the same width but I drew them incorrectly and Im too lazy to edit it). Anyway heres an idea of what its supposed to look like:

You need to fold it, iron it flat, and sew it like so, in the direction of the arrow:

Once the straps are all sewed and ironed they need to be sewed onto the Outer fabric (make sure to tuck the ends underneath and sew, sew, sew!! So theyre on nice and tight- especially if youre going to be carrying heavy things like books in it)

Step 3:
Now its time to prepare the main zipper:

Take the zipper, and one Outer and Inner fabric piece and sew them like so (make sure theyre actually lined up properly though, I drew it like that to show the direction the zipper and other piece of fabric should face):

Fold the material back and iron it down, do the same for the other side and you should end up with something like this:

Step 4:
Now its time to sew the edging to the Outer and Inner main fabric pieces. **** Important*** make sure you leave a space on the Inner fabric un-sewn. This is imperative for a later step.

Make sure that you dont sew all the way to the top, and make sure theres some extra edging at both ends. This is important for when you sew on the zipper.

When youre finished sewing the edging on it should look like this (make sure you fold the straps down for the next step):

Step 5:
Main zipper time!
This is the most complicated step, and Im sorry if I dont explain this very well Ill try my best.
Leave the main Outer fabric casing inside-out and sew the Outer fabric piece attached to the zipper, to the excess side flaps of the main Outer bag material. Sew in the direction of the arrow then do the same for the other side.

Next, sew the end of the zipper and excess zipper material to the flap of edging.

Make sure you open the zipper before you sew the other side the same way.

Step 6:
Now its time to sew on the lining, if you want to add interfacing or any other stiffening agent to the bag in between the Outer fabric and Inner lining, now is probably a good time to do it.
Sew the Inner fabric on the zipper to the main inner fabric (where the arrow is pointing). Do the same to the other side. Next, sew the end of the zipper and excess zipper material to the flap of edging, just like you did for the Outer fabric in the second half of step 5.

You can then sew both the Outer and Inner zippered ends together (Do the same thing on both sides):

Step 7:
Now youre almost finished. Reach your hand into the un-sewn part of the Inner lining fabric, and pull the entire bag out through the hole. Sew up the hole in the Inner lining and youre finished!

« Last Edit: January 27, 2010 11:16:52 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to fix images » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005 08:57:56 AM »

That bag is rocking! Any chance for a tutorial or a point in the direction of a post that may have inspired you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005 09:37:56 AM »

Marvy Carry All!!!  Enjoyed the commentary and story line, thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
Randa326
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2005 01:03:22 PM »

Thanks for the comments! Sorry I didn't respond to you two, but I just finished moving into my apartment at school.

Conley: This bag was basically a smattering of a bunch of different things, some I've seen on this site, some from my own head. I just made this tutorial, I'm sure it's full of mistakes and entirely confusing but if you have questions I'll try to help clarify. Anyway, I hope it's helpful, enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GraceOblivious
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2005 02:13:51 PM »

Well written, beautifully illustrated.  You rock!!!

Have a wonderful semester.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy http://www.feltsewcrafty.etsy.com
Zibbet http://www.zibbet.com/aTranquilNook
Blog http://aTranquilNook.blogspot.com/
Oh how I love to Sew and Make felt
Randa326
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2005 09:21:01 AM »

Well written, beautifully illustrated.  You rock!!!

Have a wonderful semester.

Thanks so much!    Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlene

Feed you purse addiction 24/7!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2005 10:42:43 AM »

Excellent tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006 09:34:05 PM »

TOTALLY AWESOME! thnks for the tut. would try it soon = )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006 10:02:10 PM »

I love your tutorial and used it to make my own bag. I used it for vacation. Hopefully I will be able to post pics soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
Mirell
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006 12:29:32 AM »

I love this one! I wanna try this one soon, 'cause my old purse that I use to carry my school books around is... not in so good condition ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Macromedia Flash 8 - Painting Using the Various Brush Modes
Macromedia Flash 8 - Using the Brush and Paint Bucket Tools to Fill
Macromedia Flash 8 - Altering Drawings with the Selection Options
Macromedia Flash 8 - Snapping and Modifying Curves with the Selection Tool
Macromedia Flash 8 - Modifying Vectors Using the Selection Tool
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...