A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 299,150
Currently Running With Scissors:
624 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fat girls and skirts....  (Read 73533 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

heysonja
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2006 02:46:56 AM »

you guys have to check out vintagesewing.info.
there are books on there about drafting your own patterns and solving fitting problems.
i just found it and i cant stop looking and printing and soaking it all in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
twistedbeader
« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2006 04:23:52 PM »

Sorry if this was already mentioned but does anyone have  any good patterns for tube skirts those seem to be the only thing that look good on me ...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life with out beads is a sad life indeed
My soap is so awsome I can wash anything! -sung as this book is so awesome from Harry and the Potters

Wist- http://www.wists.com/twistedbeader
ReadingWench

It's all about the balance

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 16, 2006 05:46:25 PM »

I have to modify any skirt I make. these are some I made. I've made 3 others too.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=92876.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ashley_logan
« Reply #153 on: May 16, 2006 06:03:33 PM »

hey!!!! i , too am a big girl and i think that what looks good on you just has to do with the shape of your body. just because we're all big doesnt mean we're all shaped the same!!

so my suggestion is to just try out new things!! it can never ever hurt.

and check out torrid!!

and hotpatterns.com    with patterns that come in a whole range of sizes!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
low_budget_diva
« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2006 06:46:24 PM »

What about tiered skirt a.k.a prairie skirts for fat girls?  I love the look but I am scared to try it because I think it might make me look bigger, shorter.  I think they look awesome on the tall and skinny folks, but I am not sure they are for me.  Do any of you big girls wear them?

I bought this skirt from Lane Bryant, and I think it's really flattering and probably easy to make: http://lanebryant.charmingshoppes.com/Shopping/product.aspx?product_id=L1009598&nav=LB

It's not tiered, but it's kind of crinkly, and the strips of eyelet fabric make it very fashion forward and flattering because of the vertical stripe-effect. As someone suggested in response to the quote above, this style is fitted to the low hip and then flares just a little. For me, this is the most flattering cut, because I am shaped like some others on this thread, narrower at the waist with wide hips. Go with a wider flare if you're top heavy; it balances things out. 
Oh, I should mention that this skrt is fully lined in a really light-weight muslin. I think lining or a slip is a great way to present a more streamlined midsection (just because I smaller in the waist doesn't mean I don't have a belly  Wink ).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006 06:49:00 PM by low_budget_diva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When you are forty-two years old and you have five children, it's a slippery slope into sweatpants and a minivan. So I just don't go there."--Laura Bennett, Project Runway
Anna Trueblood

sporadic participant, frequent lurker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2006 01:23:13 PM »

I have just recently lost some weight to help reduce my PCOS symptoms.  I'm no longer obese, but am technically still overweight.  I do feel much, much better than I have in years and I have crazy amounts of energy.  I'm not really interested in losing more. Maybe when I'm done having kids and breastfeeding.  My thighs still rub, but I have found longline briefs at Sears and online at Vermont Country Store.  Also, men's boxer-briefs are more close fitting and prevent the dreaded chafing. 

I just bought a skirt pattern and red and white check cotton yesterday so I could make my first skirt ever.  I have keds that I went all craftster on to make some skimmer flats with ladybugs and red ribbon and I decided they need a picnic-themed skirt.  Now I just have to get my kids to NAP SIMULTANEOUSLY.  Not bloody likely.

I like gored skirts with a little flair and A line skirts quite a bit. I'm just too short in the legs to carry a circle skirt.  Since I have a mummy-tummy, pencil skirts are kind of meh.  Pleats and elastic waist just add bulk.  Oddly, I have this wrap dress that has a little gathering around the tummy and it is probably the most hot thing I own.  It's also very cleavagy.  Cleavage is my flaw-distraction weapon.  Heh.  Hypnobreasts. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It seemed like a good idea at the time. . .
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2006 02:47:15 PM »

Long time now post, but I felt the need to share this, plus it bumps the thread up.

I just graduated high school and there have been numerous dances for celebration full of my classmates. I decided that I'd be myself and dance the way I usually do and ignore that fact that I'm fat and just be comfortable with myself for once because I'd never see them again. I've never had a funner time and I got so many compliments. I got my dresses at torrid though, didn't make them.

I have come to the realization that a-mine skirts are my friend....after all this time and replies, lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
ReadingWench

It's all about the balance

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2006 03:29:51 PM »

Awesome. I am happy for you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
catchstars
« Reply #158 on: June 11, 2006 05:48:45 PM »

Hey, I am a fat girl and nor am I ashamed. However what does stink about being overweight is the lack of cool clothes. I love skirts but none of the new styles look good on me or don't come in my big and beautiful size. I was wondering if any other big girls have tried the "easy skirt" (when you just cut a hole in the fabric) and if it looks good on big girls. If I made it I'd need a lot of fabric to cover my wonderful self but I dont want to waste it if its not flattering for us big girls. So let me know, please!  Kiss

I didn't have time to search through 17 pages of replies, so I apologize if this has already been addressed:

The "hole in the fabric" circle skirts tend to look awkward on any person who has a big bum. It doesn't matter if you're size 2 or size 42, if your booty is proportionately larger than your waist or stomach, the hem hangs crookedly (short in the back and long in the front) and the skirt looks poorly made. If your waist is large in proportion to the rest of your body, those one piece skirts tend to stick out and hang like a trapeze over your hips and expose your underwear when you bend or sit if they aren't long enough, but if they're too long they just look saggy. The only people who can really pull off those "easy skirts" have a straight figure, regardless of size. I'm not sure what your body type is, but if you have a big booty or stomach and want a skirt that looks like a circle skirt and has a lovely twirly look, you're better off to find a pattern for skirt with gored panels that sits comfortably and snugly at your hips (for the booty) or natural waist (for a bigger waist).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
star69

Summer swappin' fever and writing inspiration!

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 12, 2006 05:22:30 PM »

That's a very good point. Because I've noticed that myself. And I am blessed with a big booty. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Paper Boat
How to Make an Origami Box
How to Make an Origami Jumping Frog
How to Make an Origami Fish
How to Make an Origami Lily
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...