A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Monday, May 23 News:  Please take a moment to congratulate and thank our newest Craftster Moderators, lindyv321, pottermouth, PerfectlyBohemian, Mistress Jennie and LovelyMiss!
Total Members: 305,671
Currently Running With Scissors:
493 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fat girls and skirts....  (Read 86068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: August 20, 2005 07:52:09 AM »

Hey, I am a fat girl and nor am I ashamed. However what does stink about being overweight is the lack of cool clothes. I love skirts but none of the new styles look good on me or don't come in my big and beautiful size. I was wondering if any other big girls have tried the "easy skirt" (when you just cut a hole in the fabric) and if it looks good on big girls. If I made it I'd need a lot of fabric to cover my wonderful self but I dont want to waste it if its not flattering for us big girls. So let me know, please!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Lola Caracola
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005 07:58:35 AM »

Hi, check out this site:
http://www.torrid.com/
I think its a good source for inspiration Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yoyowa

It's a fez. I wear a fez now. Fezes are cool.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005 08:22:31 AM »

Hi, check out this site:
http://www.torrid.com/
I think its a good source for inspiration Smiley

I know torrid by heart!!! As well as lanebryant, dots, fashionbug, and old necy womens plus, but thanks anyways (when your big you must search for the stores and stick to them religiously). However big girls clothes are EXPANSIVE! Skinny girls can pay five buck clearance for a shirt where I must pay $15! Thanks why I was wondering about the easy skirt....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a fat, crafty chick. LOUD AND PROUD!

Check out my bi-weekly podcast where two twenty something heterosexual women (who act like fifty something gay men) discuss geek culture, pop culture and all things Disney, Doctor Who and theater.
http://theeclecticeccentrics.blogspot.com/
Dolores
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005 09:16:04 AM »

Nooooo!  Shocked
IMHO the very last thing you need is a circle-type skirt (i've been a phat grrl all my life, and I look like a sack of c**p in them)...the absolute best, most flattering and easy to personalise skirt IN THE WORLD EVER is a simple, slightly flared A-line.

Yeah, sounds boring I know, but read on....depending on your shape, you can drop the waist a little (I always drop mine about 1.5", I have a very short torso), add trims to the hem (fringing, lace, bobble fringe, ruffles) add appliques/stencils/embroidery all over or in patches...you've got a great blank canvas y'see..add camo pockets...so let's see now...how about a lace skirt with colored lining, bit of ribbon around the hem, OR stencilled scull & X-bones on black denim OR corduroy with folky-looking felt flower appliques OR camo fabric wit a hardcore belt...see what i mean? Wink

Easy to make, easy to trim up, ultra-flattering, easy to wear. The only skills you need are...sewing straight seams, doing darts, putting in a zip (feel the fear & do it anyway!) and doing a neat hem... FWIW best length is JUST below the knee...makes your calves look shapely, not chunky. HTH
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xmelinda
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005 09:40:47 AM »

Dolores, do you have a suggestion for a good pattern?  This is my fave type of skirt, and I've wanted to learn to sew one, but I'm a novice sewer and not sure where to start.

Melinda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I live in that place between conception and execution" -- IQJones
Dolores
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005 04:35:03 PM »

Dolores, do you have a suggestion for a good pattern?  This is my fave type of skirt, and I've wanted to learn to sew one, but I'm a novice sewer and not sure where to start.

Melinda

Oooh, now you're asking....I actually draft all my own patterns, so I can't help you with a pattern suggestion (and I find most commercial patterns have about a mile of ease, so they look like sad sacks when you've finished!) BUT having said that, a basic skirt pattern is one of the easiest things to draft....get along to your library, ask them for Patternmaking for Fashion Design by Helen Joseph Arnold (it's a classic, but they may need to order it for you) and get stuck in!

FWIW the basic skirt foundation is usually the very first pattern you draft when you are learning pattern cutting, it's really not too hard, just follow the instructions.

For my 'own' A-line I actually use a basic pencil, and just add on about 2" flare at each side hem (so 8" in total) as a 'classic' A-line (eg one with the darts folded out) is just a bit too flared for me. HTH, but pm me if you need any more info.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ellyloo
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2005 05:35:22 AM »

btw, that torrid site is *great* for inspiration.
A lot of those tops look just like the Kaliah ali patterns (simplicity plus size) I have on my shelf waiting patiently to be made.

And you can zoom in SO CLOSE!  nifty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lady E

I'm too young to die!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005 12:06:06 PM »

That Torrid site rocks!  Why have I never seen it before?!  I've always been a huge (literally and figuratively, har har) supporter of plus size publications and stores and other plus-size related companies, and I thought I'd seen everything.  Boy, was I wrong?!  As I like to say to girls who whine about their weight, no matter what it is, "Ah yes, dahling, I'm ever so lucky, myself.  I've been a perfect size sixteen since I can remember."  That really throws attention-seeking skinny girls for a loop!  Wink

As far as what skirts are good for us plus sizers, I agree with Dolores, nothing beats the clean lines of a simple A-line design.  Depending on your height, you can have oodles of fun playing with lengths.  I'm a 6-footer, and I find that petite skirts, intended to fall to shorter ladies' feet, look great on me 'cause they hit low in the calf.  It's amazing what a difference a couple of inches of hem length can make!

Happy skirting, sistah!!!!!  Grin 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SKerri13
Tutorial Contributor

Don't Eat the Paste

conformity is subversive.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2005 01:17:09 PM »

Actually I've found just the opposite. I always get compliments on my circle skirts, but I make them with zippers instead of elastic which takes a lot of math and fussiness and no waist band. The flare at my legs and the way they fall easily at the hips looks good on me with the right shirt. I try not to cut myself in half with my clothes. Really depends on body type. Might want to try making a mockup out of a thrift store sheet or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jennyw
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005 01:21:06 PM »

I am a chubby girl (and have little training in sewing), and my first-ever sewing project was a simple A-line skirt I made out of an old sheet. I've made it tons of times since then and it always turns out great (and the zipper was not hard to put in at all). It's a Simplicity pattern -- I'll try to hunt down the number when I get home.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

How-To Videos
How to Cook Turkey - Fix my Recipe
How to Make Thanksgiving Stuffing - Fix my Recipe
How to Make Fresh Cranberry Sauce - Fix my Recipe
How to Make Mashed Potatoes
How to Make Cajun Rice Dressing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Reusable Dryer Sheets
Tute Tuesday: Painted Background
Easy Summer Salads

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...