A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,431
Currently Running With Scissors:
352 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for a throw/lap blanket  (Read 713 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: August 19, 2005 11:35:26 PM »

I have a couple of kilos of lovely, VERY cheap black 100% wool superchunky yarn, which I bought to make a throw for the bed or for when it is vvv cold (stupid northern england weather).  I bought black thinking that using it would mean that I could use it anywhere in the house, and as we redecorate, it would still go with everything (I may not have been a goth in my teens, but near as damn it Cheesy).  Problem is that, now it comes to it, I'm not sure what to do for knitting interest.  I originally fell in love with a plain garter stitch throw made in a plain colour of collinette Point 5, but that was too expensive for me - I resent paying a fortune for it when I can get something very similar and equally yummy for much less.  I thought of making squares with different stitch patterns, and then remembered that black yarn is rubbish for showing stitches.  Then I thought of doing straight forward st st squares against garter stitch squares - you see a variation in texture, but don't miss any major stitch patterns in the colour.  Maybe it would be a good way of practicing the continental method.  But that could also be really really dull.  Still at the mo it is my favourite option.

So before I take the plunge and start a neverending pile of squares (at least it is superchunky yarn, so will be a bit quicker to knit up each square!), does anyone have any better ideas?  The weather is definitely turning here - even though it was a beautiful sunny day yesterday and very hot during the day, we still needed the central heating on in the late evening - if anyone decides to take a holiday to this area, remember to bring bikinis and big jumpers at the same time...

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005 11:40:51 PM »

Use a simple lace pattern. Maybe stripe between the lace pattern and stockinette stitch? I don't think the black would be too detrimental to showing off the lace.

***I love personal swaps!***

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005 01:50:02 AM »

i'm currently doing a blanky in hideous, bizarre, almost-pastel colours out of hideous, bizarre acrylic (for charity. the wool was free).
using 4mm needles i've cast on 40 stitches. it's a nice number. the recommended number for squares for charity blankets in my city, actually.

The lace pattern from knitty's Hearts scarf looks cool, and i'm planning on testing the Branching Out pattern also in a different square.
I've done a basketweave square that i'm sure would show up well in black, as would the diagonal stripes square.

I think the vertical-stripes-on-garter-background would probably not show up too well, nor would the utterly FABULOUS half-rib/ half-moss/ half slipped-stich pattern I've used.

Cast round. I think alternating lace squares with solid patterned squares all in black would look awesome.

. . .some people juggle geese!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005 03:58:28 PM »

Instead of knitting hundreds and hundreds of squares, why not use a fun scarf pattern, make 4 or 5 and seam them together at the sides?

(http://swayinglights.com): things i make, things i like, things i see.

Fifty-seven academics just punched the air.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005 04:45:46 PM »

Or you could just use circular needles and cast on all your stitches, thus avoiding seaming. I'm fond of this pattern, and the nice thing is that you can adjust it to whatever size you want: stop the pattern halfway through or just adjust how many stitches you cast on and how many rows you do for each square to get the size you want.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005 09:49:04 AM »

Thanks guys.  The thing that originally stopped me from making longer/larger sections was the weight of the yarn.  I like to take my knitting to work - it helps sooth me at lunchtime when I've had a bad morning Smiley  BUT, seeing as I've also cast on for those lovely cabled socks in IK, and need to knit a OSW for a friend's birthday, this could be a project to keep at home Smiley  I like the idea of the pattern posted by Duckie, but I also like the idea of throwing in a few 'random' patches of something different to keep the interest going.  I'll let you know how it goes!

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005 05:54:43 PM »

oh! i forgot to mention. I'm knitting mine in 'squares' but i'm not casting off and starting anew each time. I just change colour and stitch pattern. So in effect I will be stitching together five long scarves.
just like someone suggested

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The State of Retirement in America
Money Monday: Finance And Relationships
Super Saver Shares Money Saving Tips
Moneyologist: Should I Spend $25,000 or $150 on a Wedding?
How to Get the Most Out of Your Retirement Plan
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family
Meatless Monday: Guava Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...