A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,067
Currently Running With Scissors:
595 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: House/Apartment Warming Gift  (Read 759 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GreatBallofFire
« on: August 19, 2005 07:03:55 PM »

Hey everyone! I really need a hand. I need a house/apartment warming gift for my boy.
He's a band director in Tennessee. I don't get to see him that often since I'm going to school in Michigan, but he's flying me out for Labor Day.
I'd love to bring him something to make the apartment look a little less "a 23 year old man live here with his dog"
It should be functional/pratical as well as fun, any ideas?
Oh, and it also needs to fly well!
Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
Madeleine09
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005 07:11:40 PM »

My boyfiend just moved to Indiana (and I also go to school in MI) so I feel for you. A good idea is anything to decorate his apartment. Pictures of you guys (framed) or art he likes, maybe something music themed. You want to be careful of the "a 23-year-old man lives here with his dog and his girlfriend decorated his apartment look" (its hard I know!)

Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2005 08:09:55 PM »

Men need four things in life to make them happy in a day:

Sports, food, sleep and good lovin'... so I would say base your gift on that... don't forget to get the dog a rawhide.. you'll want him to be occupied;-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cherrydetox
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2005 11:56:07 AM »

If you could find an old instrument for cheap -- like a trumpet.

Get some kind of lamp shade

Go to home depot or lowes and get a lamp kit ....

Wire the trumpet to make it the lamp

It is actually really easy ... and you can make a lamp out of ANYTHING

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=HomeDecor/MakeALamp.html&rn=RightNavFiles/rightNavHowTo
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreatBallofFire
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2005 06:07:41 PM »

I LOOOOOOOVE the lamp idea. Sadly, he plays Euphonium, so I'll have to choose a smaller insturment.
There's an antique shop by my grandparent's house that has a basement FULL of old band insturments. You are brilliant!
I'm sure airport security will love that! (he will too!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the Knitting Journal
www.sticksnloans.blogger.com
Martine
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005 07:13:17 PM »

I just bought my boyfriend an apartment warming gift.  It may not necessarily be "fun" but it is definitely useful and something he probably would not have been able to justify buying himself.

His roommates are horrifically messy and he hates it so I bought him a good mop (one of the $10 ones, not a crummy sponge on a stick for $2) and a cleaning bucket which i filled with cleaning supplies--things like floor cleaner, 409, ajax, sponges (make sure you get the ones with the scrubby side--they're more expensive so boys usually won't buy them but oh my gosh they're so much better).  I arranged them in the bucket with some strips of paper in his favorite colors that I cut and crumpled up in the bucket.  When he saw it he got this huge smile on his face and said, "...A decent mop!!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

patriautism
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005 07:21:38 PM »

I second the cleaning bucket idea. There are so many things you foget you need until you move and it's not there. Like a can opener. Or dish towels. Or a decent frying pan. Maybe you can fly in and scope the place and then buy him something in town after you've assesed the situation.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettynpink
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2005 06:08:40 PM »

You could get two gifts, one practical [tool of some sort] and one impractical [not really impratical, but stuff that is just "fluff" like decor].

Practical - a closet auger, when the plunger won't unstop a toilet. It can save anyone a lot of time and money on calling up a plumber. You can find a closet auger can be purchased at a plumbing or hardware supply store. Sorry this isn't more "crafty", but you have no idea how HANDY this tool really is!

Impratical - artwork for the walls. Get a few pieces [or do a collage] in the style or era he's interested in, then mat and frame for him.

Also make a new bed for the dog.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally updated my profile info!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set for Kids/Pets Scene
Canon G10: Set for Indoor Scene
Canon G10: Set for Fireworks Scene
Canon G10: Set for Dusk/Dawn Scene
Canon G10: Set for Copy Scene
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...