A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,591
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ornaments 3 year olds can make???  (Read 8919 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2005 03:33:11 PM »

I teach preschool, I have most of my first semester planned but each year every class is required to make an ornament to hang on our Christmas tree.  I want it to be easy enough the 3 year olds can do by themselves, imade the cinnamon ornaments one year, but kids kept trying to eat them and last year we did pipe cleaner candy canes. I hated them because we do cute crafts all year long and these were just cheesy. I don't want to buy a craft kit from Oriental Trading, but am feelingled to do so because I can't think of something my kids can do and not me, I don't mind a minimal amount of help bt I also dont want to do it all and I want them to last forever.  Those pipe cleaner ones will prolly get tossed soon, they did not hold their shape well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005 03:40:56 PM »

i have a polaroid photo of my older son when he was three, (he's now 12) in which he's holding a sign that says "merry Christmas" (i guess you could put happy holidays if you need a pc thing) and it's got a popsicle stick frame and a bent pipe cleaner for a loop. he decorated the popsicle sticks with glue and glitter and stickers and stars and markers. he was soooo proud of it, still is, and he puts it on the tree himself every year. i think it's great.
i also have a walnut painted like a strawberry that i made sometime when i was younger. i don't think it's a good ornament idea though. i mean, who ever heard of a  Christmas strawberry?
little handprint wreaths are also good.
hope you get plenty of good ideas....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
chattyKathi
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005 07:27:00 PM »

well I do a ornament every year with my kids since they could pick up a glue bottle! last year we made pine cone ornaments. I found lots pine cones in the woods near my house.  one thing you have to do if you do that is bake them at 200 degrees for about 15  mins to kill any bugs that might be with in. if you find ones that are closed they will open as they dry . well the easiet thing to do is have them roll them in white glue then roll them in glitter. its eary and they love it, or you can put the glitter in old seasoning jars (plastic ones, removable tops) and they can shake it on. wala! here is a pick of one I did fooling around but A little too much for 3 year olds. and I also painted white poster paint onto a plain pine cone for the snowy effect. and you can use pipe cleaners or ribbon for the "hooks" good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Sharla

I love my very first rotary cutter!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005 09:15:15 PM »

When I was in preschool, we drew things that reminded us of Christmas on a big piece of Shrinky Dink-type plastic. It was probably the size of a 8"x10" piece of paper. Our teachers wrote our name and year on it, poked a hole at the top, and cut around the edges with pinking shears. We got them back a couples of days later, ready to hang. My mom still has mine, and I'm 23!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

etsy: http://stellasjewels.etsy.com
My Friend Sheri's shop http://GlitterKnitter.etsy.com
I'm also Sharla on Ravelry!
chattyKathi
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2005 05:37:46 AM »

sharla thats a good idea! and that stuff does last forever!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
DeliaRana
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005 01:38:58 PM »

I have made the following with all age groups. The size of the beads can be altered and the colors can be changed.  I mostly made them with clear beads and silver pipecleaners.  I found this on the web several years ago.

These are a "must make" for your holiday decorations.
For each icicle you need the following supplies.

4 12mm starburst beads
4  10mm starburst beads
4   8mm faceted beads
4   6mm faceted beads
4   4mm faceted beads
silver chenille stems
String the beads onto the chenille stem (we used clear beads) in the exact order they are listed. End with the  4mm bead at the very end of the stem. The trick here is to end up with the last 4mm bead at the very end of the chenille stem. (No big deal...just slide the beads down till the last one touches the end of the stem. Secure it with a dab of tacky glue) Now you will have a very beautiful, crystal-like appearing icicle with a huge long silver stem sticking out of the top. Turn the chenille stem around and string another set of beads, in the same order as above onto the other end. Now you have two icicles separated by a span of silver chenille stem. Cut the remaining portion of the silver pipe cleaner in half.  You now have two icicles. Loop the silver stem over and you have the hanger. These are sooooo easy my three year old made them!  Gorgeous!
....oooo0000OOOO>>>>XXXX-------------------XXXX>>>>OOOO0000oooo....
I hope you get the idea from the above "graphic" .... = 4mm beads, oooo = 6mm beads, 0000 = 8mm beads, OOOO = 10mm beads, >>>> = 10 mm starburst beads and XXXX = 12 mm starburst beads.  The ------------ in the middle is the remaining chenille stem when you are done stringing the beads.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giggles1100

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005 03:58:52 PM »

I love the pine cones but we do not have any in abundance in Texas and I hate to buy them they are all cinnamon scented and I am afraid it could make the kids sick if they handled it too much.  BUT if I can find them, I mean I have time in time we could do those.

I love the icicles,t hat sounds cute we did pipe cleaner candy canes last year and I hated them, they did not retain their shape, but these don't have a shape and they sound like they might be pretty, being with the sparkly pipe cleaners and clear beads.

Thanks for the ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
chattyKathi
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005 06:47:09 PM »

aaww thats too bad giggles, if it was fall I woul;d send you some!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
giggles1100

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005 09:26:21 PM »

Hey, I do not need them until December, maybe we could work out a way in the fall.  Thanks again for the ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
OEinDC
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2005 06:07:00 AM »

what about reindeers made from clothes line clips?

The kids could paint them brown, add 2 googly eyes, a red pompom nose, easy! 

I'm Michaels craft supply website has them in it's crafting section.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nikon J1 Video Sample
GE PJ1 DLP Projector Camera Demo at Photokina 2010
Nikon 1 System Hands-on
FujiFilm X10 Hands-on
NEX-C3 Hands-on
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...