A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Good stuff in Prague?  (Read 6397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roxkitty
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009 05:01:30 AM »

I know this thread is old but am going to bump it anyway! Smiley

For Czech glass beads, if you aren't looking to buy in bulk, there's a lady who sells them in smaller quantity at the Havelske Trziste (Havel's Market). You can't miss that market if you're walking to Old Town Square from Wenceslas Square. When I first moved here, I went there a lot. She speaks English, German and Russian.

Miss Bijoux is located at Wenceslas Square (just a few shops from Debenhams). They carry a wide range of quality Czech beads. You can find some special beads (special cuts and shapes) but they're a bit pricey.

Star Beads is another place to go.

If you're a bead freak like myself, you may want to visit Jablonec nad Nisou. It's about an hour drive from Prague. I call it the home of Czech glass. I have visited the bead/glass museum and there are places where you will be able to see how they make glasses and beads. I believe you can get wholesale beads from there too.

Kotva (take Metro B - yellow line to Namesti Republiky or you can walk there from Wenceslas Square) is an old department store. That's where I normally get my yarns from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Addicted To Beads
Makki
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2009 02:04:06 PM »

Beads
 I usually go shopping here http://www.koralky.net/cz/kontakt - it's out of centre so the prices are ...well... "czech" not "tourist". It is located as Jiřho z poděbrad - green line of metro/subway, it is also at the main street, so it's easy to find (though I still recommend checking google maps or something similar). On their web they say that they have a stall (I found this word using web dictionary, so it may not be correct) at Havelsk tritě, but I haven't been there.
Another good place is http://www.praha.rooya.cz/ (it's also in Brno) (actually, I haven't been here either, but my friends were pretty excited about this place) - they make a czech beading magazine and they do courses (or classes?) - since english is well known here there'll be (with very high probability) someone to translate you.

For other stuff I go to Kotva (mentioned before).

We (Czechs) are still old-fashioned (hey, we've got capitalism only for twenty yrs!), so a shop called "galanterie" means place where you can get knitting or sewing ingredients...

I am not good at sewing AND I don't think that you would be interested in fabric(s) so nothing about them  Grin

Hope this helps a bit.  (PM if interested in poor student girl's opinions 'bout Prague  Cheesy)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
marmota-b

Tove Jansson's ghost was the first craftster...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009 11:12:26 AM »

a shop called "galanterie" means place where you can get knitting or sewing ingredients...

And crochet, and embroidery, and beads, and sequins...

Actually, why old-fashioned and what does it have to do with 20 years of capitalism? The way it came to be is old-fashioned, but nowadays it means the shop. I think it's practical to call it by a single word. And not even another 20 years of capitalism would change that. Wink Besides, I think the original galanteries also emerged in capitalism... the old one...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009 11:15:48 AM by marmota-b » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://marmota-b.blogspot.com

And my original Czech blog, nowadays updated VERY occasionally...
http://marmota-b.blog.cz
h_pets360
crankypants extrodinaire

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2009 03:11:19 PM »

I know this thread hasn't been updated in a while, but I wanted to thank everyone for the resources they listed.  Me and Mr. H_Pets are going on our honeymoon in April 2010 to Prague and some other cities and I'm hoping to sneak some crafty stops in along the way.  (I'm kidding about the sneaking, we're good about  letting each other pursue our hobbies).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miyoko79: I think "be proud, young craftster blood" should be your new siggie

I've got a new blog!  Tell me how to make it better!

Support the <a href="http://www.craftster.org/subscribe.php">craftster way of life!</a>
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carry On, Warrior by Glennon Doyle Melton
Heather McDonald’s My Inappropriate Life
Should Heather McDonald Be the Next Real Housewife?
Interview With Author Christina Shelton
Targets of Revenge by Jeffrey Stephens
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...