A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,140
Currently Running With Scissors:
402 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sun Hat  (Read 11769 times)
Tags for this thread: hat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jeaniebeanie123
« on: August 18, 2005 05:38:05 PM »

I have made this sunhat for each member of my family, everyone wants one! No pattern, so each hat is different, with different stitches. It is made from 100% cotton, so it is a great gardening hat!

That looks great, and fantastic photo by the way!  I love that you have grass on your feet (assuming it is you?), I love it!

I have tried to make a sun hat, and can make the basic beanie part but get stuck when it comes to the brim, do you increase in a specific way?  Mine always seem to want to fold back on themselves or go all floppy and wiggly...any ideas?  Can you share some wisdom?

For the brim increases I use this:
single crochet into each of next 8 sts, 2 sc into next st*, rep from * to *
the next round every 10 increase 2
the next round every 11 increase 2 etc.
continue in this fashion until the brim is to your liking. If you lay it out on the floor and it does not lay flat (too wavy, make the increases every 10, 12, 14)
It will be quite floppy unitl you crochet around the brim material (plastic tubing, wire, etc.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010 05:08:38 PM by sweets4ever - Reason: Edited to pattern info into first post! :-) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind."
Douglas Adams
princessliak
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005 06:11:37 PM »

I love it - I was just at the race track and saw all of these fancy-schmancy women wearing hats and I felt so left out!  It would have been perfect!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are so many ways to die without losing your life.

www.baskinginbliss.blogspot.com
www.lulu.com/content/292980
aliciasjoy

my alien kitten

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005 07:25:40 PM »

I love it too, and your picture is great.  It looks like it should already be in a magazine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005 07:29:40 PM »

That looks completely sophisticated, in a big cotton sun hat sort of way.  Would totally make me feel like a "ladies who lunch" type of gal.  A question:  Do you crochet around wire in the last round to keep the brim stiff and not drooping into your face?  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
jeaniebeanie123
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005 12:30:16 AM »

That looks completely sophisticated, in a big cotton sun hat sort of way.  Would totally make me feel like a "ladies who lunch" type of gal.  A question:  Do you crochet around wire in the last round to keep the brim stiff and not drooping into your face?  Thanks!
Thanks!! I actually use plastic tubing, and connect it with drip line connectors, both I found at the Home Depot.  I am looking for a better way and have ordered some millinery wire, I cant wait to see how it works. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"The mere thought hadn't even begun to speculate about the merest possibility of crossing my mind."
Douglas Adams
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005 09:50:21 AM »

Tubing, that's a good idea too.  I ask because I saw a pattern for a sun hat once that had wire sewn under the edge of the brim, but I didn't know if it worked well or not.  That pattern called for hardware wire, gauge 5 I think, with plastic coating to math the yarn.  I think the milinery wire will probably work well for you, but I'd love to hear the results of your experiments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
hello.mango
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005 12:54:10 PM »

That looks great, and fantastic photo by the way!  I love that you have grass on your feet (assuming it is you?), I love it!

I have tried to make a sun hat, and can make the basic beanie part but get stuck when it comes to the brim, do you increase in a specific way?  Mine always seem to want to fold back on themselves or go all floppy and wiggly...any ideas?  Can you share some wisdom?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handspun yarn and Crochet!
www.hellomango.co.uk
http://www.livejournal.com/users/hello_mango/
UK Crafters - GO HERE: http://www.craftermath.co.uk/index.html
Join in and help start a PROPER UK CRAFT SCENE.
smarmyclothes
lex fiend

i can get you a toe by 3 o'clock this afternoon...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005 12:58:55 PM »

that is the cutest picture!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeaniebeanie123
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2005 11:59:25 AM »

For the brim increases I use this:
single crochet into each of next 8 sts, 2 sc into next st*, rep from * to *
the next round every 10 increase 2
the next round every 11 increase 2 etc.
continue in this fashion until the brim is to your liking. If you lay it out on the floor and it does not lay flat (too wavy, make the increases every 10, 12, 14)
It will be quite floppy unitl you crochet around the brim material (plastic tubing, wire, etc.)

The small hat in the middle is actually my 4 year olds, that is why it looks smallish & funny. The hat to the right has thin wire, the hat to the left has plastic tubing, there is quite a difference in the look of the hat.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Douglas Adams
mayerlove
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2005 12:23:30 PM »

any advive for making the beanie part? i want one! they look lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 6/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 3/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 8/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 29/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 7/29
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Creating a Travel Journal
Eggs? Eggzactly!
Meatless Monday: Kale Yeah!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...