A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: am I allergic to a certain type of wool?!?  (Read 470 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

t1g3rl1ly
« on: August 18, 2005 05:26:56 PM »

First, I just wanted to say that there are probably other threads like this, but the Search wouldn't work and I need some answers!

On Monday I bought from Paton's Classic Wool (merino wool, I believe) and started knitting some mittens for a friend. On Tuesday I noticed a small rash on my ankles and legs. On Wednesday it started itching - and now it's really red and I have it on the insides of my arms too.

Previously, I have knitted with Cascade 220 and did not have any problem whatsoever. Also, when I've been knitting with the Paton's I have been wearing long pants (not shorts or a skirt), so the wool hasn't touched my legs at all. Therefore, I don't understand why the rash is ALL OVER my legs. I also haven't tried any new soaps/detergents or anything like that.

Is it possible to be allergic to one type of wool? I don't get it.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlight1221
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005 07:27:06 PM »

Hmm, it'd help if you had a pic of the rash, but no, I don't think it'd be the wool if it hasn't touched your legs.  My first thoughts are ezcema, prickly heat, or poison ivy.  Just because of the locations.  Try searching for pics of them on google and see if any of those look like what you have. 

Also, have you tried any new lotions lately?  Cause I've gotten bad rashes from lotions...or maybe you brushed up against something you're allergic to in the craft store while buying the wool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005 07:40:10 PM »

Hey - **update**

I went to the pharmacy and talked to the pharmacist. He said that it wasn't a Contact Dermatitis. If it was, the rash would only be on places where the wool touched. However, he said it was definitely an allergic reaction because it's in places that the wool didn't touch.

So I'm definitely going to quit using this yarn and get some more wool to make the mittens. Hopefully I can find Cascade 220 in red.

So now my question is - am I allergic to Paton's brand or am I allergic to Merino Wool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelyra
Medium Reality

making stuff, taking names.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005 07:41:53 PM »

Is it possible you started using a new lotion or shampoo or something recently?  Assuming it is the yarn, it's also possible you're allergic to the dyes they used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005 07:50:04 PM »

Nope, no new products. No lotion, shampoo, soap, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005 10:06:39 PM »

I got a very similar, very itchy rash a few weeks ago, and judging by the symptoms it could be any number of things.  Probably NOT the wool.  If you have taken any medications, antibiotics, etc., those can and do cause systemic reactions like skin rash, and so do some foods and other things.  Since it was on clothed legs and spread to arms, it's probably a systemic allergic reaction.  Could even be a reaction to a virus.  Mine coincided roughly with a little headachy, sick-to-my-stomach bug that my daughter also had. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sherry Lansing: The Choice to Work and Be Single
Sherry Lansing: Worthy of More
Sherry Lansing: The First Wives Club
Sherry Lansing: You Married Your First Boyfriend
Callie Khouri: Oscar-Winning Writer & Creator of "Nashville"
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...