A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 301,979
Currently Running With Scissors:
585 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: HELP!  (Read 610 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlwonder
« on: August 18, 2005 03:32:01 PM »

I'm trying to teach myself to knit with the help of the book  'knitting pretty"...BUT...i simply can't figure out the difference between knit stitch and purl stitch...i THINK i have the knit stitch down ok as it looks like the photos given, however, I'm trying to make a slipper/bootie and can't figure out how to purl. the directions in hte book seem simple enough but when i try it it simply doesn't work. I'm supposed to be doing a knit 1 purl 1 pattern...any suggestions or images that might explain this to me a little better are greatly appreciated!!

thanks!!

-gracie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
t1g3rl1ly
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005 05:28:29 PM »

I taught myself to knit from the internet and a book. I would definitely recommend going to www.stitchguide.com   They have videos!  Good luck! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

prettygirl08
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005 09:25:00 PM »

I taught myself from a CD-Rom called Knitting made Easy by Coats and Clark. I got it from Hobby Lobby but they also have it at JoAnn. This site (http://knittingatknoon.com/demos.html) also has knitting videos. Hope this helps!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
destitutekitty
Meowrrr...

Good Kitty Lovin'...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005 09:29:14 PM »

Also, www.knittinghelp.com is a great source for videos.  It has helped me out of many frustrating stitches.  Good Luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yippee!!
girlwonder
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005 10:30:09 PM »

Thanks! I'm going to Joann tomorrow so I'll check out the videos. I didn't even think of it...that way i can actually see someone perform the stitch...thanks again !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
franna724
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005 04:56:23 AM »

Knitting for Dummies and Vogue Knitting were helpful books when I taught myself to knit.  There are also tons of other books you can get at your local library.  I've noticed that each book explains things a little differently, and especially when it came to the purl stitch, it took me quite a few books to find one that explained it to me in a way that I understood.  You'll get there, though.  Good luck!

Anna
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BlooCanoe

Pit knitters unite!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005 04:02:30 PM »

I have a great little booklet I got for free called "Improving Your Handknitting Techniques" by Patons Canada which has been really useful. I tried to find it online for you hoping it had been .pdf'd and posted somewhere, but couldn't find it.  You could also try some of the yarn brand websites for pointers (i.e. Patons Australia has this at http://www.patons.biz/media/how_to/how_to_knit.pdf). 

After I had learned how to knit (more or less), I picked up the Debbie Bliss book Step-by-Step Knitting Workbook (but only because it was v cheap on sale).  I'm not sure what it would be like to learn how to  knit from, but I find it's a useful reference if I am learning a new technique for a new pattern I'm doing.

I totally agree with franna724- if you don't follow one explanation, you might find another one makes more sense.  There are different ways of holding the yarn, casting on, etc.  and you might find one way easier than another way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Have you hugged your mod today? Smiley

"What I need.... is some wool." (Miss Marple)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Perfect Tamanishiki Rice
How to Prepare Vegetarian Sushi
2012 Vendy Awards Finalist: Xin Jiang Prosperity Kebabs
How to Cook Homemade Udon Noodle Soup
How to Cook Homemade Yaki Udon
Latest Blog Articles
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak
Tute Tuesday: July 4th Light Up the Sky Hat
Hooray for the Red, White, and Blue

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...