A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,689
Currently Running With Scissors:
786 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I <3 Stretch Knits-dress with mini tute (img heavy)  (Read 33189 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nicegirl512
« on: August 18, 2005 07:05:44 AM »

Stretch knits make life soooo easy.  Here's a dress I made with some stretch lace from the $2.97/yard pile.  At $3.50/yd, the ribbon was more expensive than the dress!

Front view.  I don't know why I look like that.

Back View

Mini tutorial

Start by making a tube big enough to fit around your biggest part.  Then, preferably with help or a duct tape dummy (though I did mine by a million takings on and off), with the seam at center back fit it to the rest of you simply by adjusting the seam. Finally, trim away under the arms and around the back so it will have a nice halter look and zig zag the edges.  My finished tube is below.  As you can see, I am big with the booty and not so much with the boobies.

Turn under the straight line across the front and stitch.  Then cut a piece of ribbon about three inches long.  Anchor on the inside at the center front about three inches from the top.  Bring over the top, fold under the edge of the ribbon, and sew it down over the original spot where you anchored it.  This creates the sweetheart neckline shape in the front.

Next, sew a length of ribbon long enough to go under your ribcage and tie in a bow from side to side along the back, remembering to stretch as you sew.  Do NOT sew this lower ribbon in the front of the dress, or you won't be able to get the dress on because the stretch will be compromised too much.

Finally, pin the upper ribbon along the top edge, folding in half to create a nice finish.  S-T-R-E-T-C-H the fabric as you pin and sew.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have an Etsy Shop for my jewelry!
tagurity
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005 08:08:04 AM »

That looks awesome!  Thanks also for the tutorial!  They are always appreciated! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kati
Hiccup
I'm not sure...

What do I do with this?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005 10:59:55 AM »

That dress is very pretty! Thanks for the tute! If I ever look good in a dress again, I may try it out  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amphigorey
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005 05:05:13 PM »

Cute dress, thanks for the tutorial!  What stitch did you use to sew it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmenita

Yes I would, if I only could, I surely would.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005 05:12:06 PM »

I looove the dress. You look great in it! ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rollagasper
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2005 05:47:27 PM »

the dress looks great! I don't think i'll ever get the chance to wear one like that though... sigh
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirt_made_my_lunch

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005 08:36:32 PM »

that's very cute. I was excited cause i thought you made a dress that said "I <3 stretch knits" on it though Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
nicegirl512
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005 06:38:01 AM »

Cute dress, thanks for the tutorial!  What stitch did you use to sew it?

Well I sewed this one on my old New Home, which had it's problems but is a tough machine and I just used the straight stitch.  I got myself a Bernina a month ago, and had a b*tch of a time trying to sew on a slippery soft knit, even with the super stretch stitch.  So I think it depends on your machine.  Very little sewing occurs on with the stretch directly on the fabric on this one, so you can use the straight stitch on most of it with any machine I would think.  The tube is sewn against the stretch, and the ribbon provides an anchor for sewing with the stretch on the top.  The only place you might need super stretch is turning under the top front before sewing the ribbon loop on.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone!  I really like this one, it is so cute for brunch or a date.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amphigorey
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005 07:22:31 AM »

Thanks nicegirl512.  I've been wanting to try and sew with knits, but I couldn't find any information on what stitch to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nicegirl512
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005 07:42:18 AM »

Thanks nicegirl512.  I've been wanting to try and sew with knits, but I couldn't find any information on what stitch to use.

Hmm, well I don't know how useful the info I gave was.  Not a lot of great hits on a google search but here are a few links that might help you out:

http://www.sewnews.com/resources/library/0704knit/index6.html
http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa112500a.htm

Ballpoint needles are definitely worth it!  The most important point to remember is that you are sewing with non-stretchy thread, meaning that your stretch will be limited by the length of thread you use.  If you have a piece of fabric 12 inches long that will stretch to 16 inches long, and then you put in a straight stitch without stretching (i.e., 12 inches worth of thread in a straight stich), you won't be able to stretch your fabric at all because you have no give in your seam.  But if you stretch the 12 inches to 16 while you are sewing, you will put in 16 inches of thread and therefore be able to take full advantage of the stretch.  Does this make any sense?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Transformers Costume
How to Follow a Sewing Pattern
How to Make Lanterns Out of Old Jars
How to Play Carroms
How to Make Finger Paints
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...