A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,778
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: can you use gift paper as wallpaper?  (Read 846 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Chaos Beauty Klinik
« on: August 18, 2005 06:44:57 AM »

A few weeks ago I moved in my first own dwelling ( or flat? dont know how u call it, i am from germany ) and i am still decorating it.
I wanted to put wallpaper on a wall in the livingroom, but the wallpapers I like are really to expensive.
So I wondered if you can maybe use gift paper als wallpaper?! I have a tons of the same gift paper and it is very pretty and would totally fit on the wall.
I would be so happy if someone could give me some advice or links !  Cheesy
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005 07:58:45 AM »

hmmm... I don't know but I think so
I'd make sure you use lining paper under it though, lining paper is like thick undercorated wallpaper, it's very cheap and will make sure the surface is even (you normally use it before painting a wall)
without lining paper the gift wrap might be too thin
one other thing to watch out for is that the colours might fade if the wall gets lots of sun

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2005 09:57:13 AM »

They did this on Trading Spaces (not sure if they air T.S. in Germany) once and while it worked, it didn't look so hot.  The designer seemed a little hesitant to use the scraper thing to get the air bubbles out from under the paper since wrapping paper is a lot less durable than wallpaper.  You could try it.  I've seen rooms papered in tissue that had been crumpled up many times and it looks great. 

What I saw on the show didn't look extremely bad, but I'm really anal about things like air bubbles under the paper and matching seams and things like that so this project isn't something I'd be willing to try.  I'm sure someone who has a lot more patience than I do could make it work.

If you decide to try it, please post pics.  I'd love to see how it comes out!

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005 10:33:09 AM »

instead of gluing, why don't you try tacking it in place or use tape at the tops and bottoms.  maybe even double-sided tape for the sides. 
i plan on using wallpaper and tape on my kitchen cabinets soon.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005 09:53:44 PM »

You could just try to see if it works by putting the paper on the wall, If it doesn't work, buy paint and do it yourslef!
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2006 08:20:49 PM »

maybe you could use something as a spray glue such as 3M spray adhesive, make sure you cover the floor and such, as anything it touches gets tacky, or maybe spray the back of the individual sheets, put them on the wall paper liner, then wallpaper the walls....I'd love to know if you get this to work, i'd like to use some of those metallic wraps in my bathroom.
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006 07:42:29 PM »

I actually did this when I was in college, and again in various apartments.  Instead of pasting or gluing the paper down, use staples.  Start at the top of the wall, and put staples every few inches.  Smooth out the paper with your hand as you move down towards the floor, and tack the paper to the wall with a staple every now and then.  Don't make the paper too tight as you smooth it, or it will tear.  It goes faster if you have a friend with a ladder help you, but I was able to do it by myself.

Very easy, very rental-deposit friendly, and when you get sick of it, you can rip it down and put something else up.  It won't last forever, and I wouldn't recommend it for a bathroom or kitchen, but as long as you are somewhat mindful of the paper, it will last at least a year (I'm fickle and changed mine once a year).

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 6/10
How to Crochet a Jagged Chevron Part 5/5
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 10/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 4/10
How to Crochet a Jumbo Catherine Wheel Stitch Part 7/10
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters
@Home This Weekend: Rustic Wreath
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...