A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,143
Currently Running With Scissors:
472 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Different recipes for mac n' cheese  (Read 4157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annamal
« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2006 11:54:56 AM »

I used to make a version of vegan mac n cheese all the time.. it was the easiest thing ever!  one way is:
in a saucepan mix 1/4 c nutritional yeast 1/4c flour and 1c h2o ior soymilk.. stir until it bubbles and gets thick
mix in salt/pepper/hotsauce/mustard powder/ketchup/garlic powder to taste
it's good on noodles, or if you mix it with salsa its like cheezy salsa dip... ooh yeaaahh.
another version would be to put some noodles in a pot and use a fake chicken broth or veggie broth to just cover it, and simmer it down until the noodles are cooked, but so theres not excess broth in he pan.  add a few slices of soy cheese, some seasonings, and a dash of nutritional yeast for flavor.  really creamy and tasty. 

and out of sheer curiousity...
how do you make regular mac n cheese from scratch?  like.. the baked kind?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imdee
« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2006 02:43:41 PM »

The way I make baked macaroni and cheese is first boil the noodles until they're cooked but not too soft.  I add some chopped onion to the water before boiling it.  I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but thats the way my mom has always done it, so I do it too.  When the macaroni is done, drain and put a layer in the bottom of a dish.  Add salt & pepper.  Then dot with butter and top with slices of velveeta cheese.  I'm not sure regular cheese would work with this method, because it wouldn't melt as well.  Then repeat layers ending with cheese.  Pour milk over the top until you see it peeking up through the macaroni.  Bake at 325 for about an hour.  The cheese on top will turn brown, but take it out before the inside gets too dry.  After it sets for a short time, the excess liquid will be absorbed. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sombereyes
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2006 09:32:24 AM »

My mom always made two dishes of mac and cheese when she made it.
The first one was regular old mac and cheese-- heat milk and cheese mixed with pasta and bake.  (essentially)
The other, she'd cook the pasta, mix it with tomota juice and shredded sharp cheddar cheese and back.  Mmmm.
You guys are the only people I've read who've mentioned anything with tomatos.. everyone I know thinks it's gross.
And the impatient college kids version - plain cooked ramen noodles, drained, with a small can of tomato juice and some cheese.  Alittle bit different taste, but still yummy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dee53
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2006 07:02:07 AM »

Vegan mac and cheese is pretty good, and if you eat this rather than the other stuff there is no guilt about the animals who had to suffer to make the cheese and butter and milk

How exactly do cows suffer from providing cheese, butter and milk?

Dee
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LivinEasy

Eat Cheese. Be Happy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2006 07:20:10 AM »

Vegan mac and cheese is pretty good, and if you eat this rather than the other stuff there is no guilt about the animals who had to suffer to make the cheese and butter and milk

How exactly do cows suffer from providing cheese, butter and milk?

Dee

Let's go ahead and nip this one in the bud. Pleanty of info online. This thread is about the mac 'n cheese.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllygatorintheElevator
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2006 06:17:23 PM »

a bunch of people in here have mentioned putting tomatoes in mac 'n cheese, but i dont think anyone's mentioned ketchup. ketchup and mac 'n cheese just belong together. esp if the mac 'n cheese is from a box, or if it's easy mac.
if i come home and am too tired/lazy to cook, i'll make easy mac with a hotdog and ketchup. it's even better with cheese dogs. i discovered that you dont even need to cook the hotdog/cheesedog seperately. just cut it up and throw it in the bowl before you put the easy mac in the microwave, the cook, add powdered cheese packet, stir, and top with ketchup. you can choose whether or not to stir the ketchup in; i, personally, dont.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kelleys

It's always something with that one...

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2006 07:49:18 AM »

If you love sunflower seeds on your mac and cheese you should sprinkle them on a grilled cheese....ooh, so delicious. I'm betting you'd like it, kelleys

Thank you, LivinEasy!  I now need to buy sunflower seeds in bulk sizes....mmmmm. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Celery, raw
Develops the jaw,
But celery, stewed,
Is more quietly chewed.
-Ogden Nash
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2006 08:04:35 AM »

Since EmilyFlew hasn't replied yet, I will say that the best mac 'n' cheese I've ever had was at her parents' house.  Her mom added tomato sauce, and then it was served with cottage cheese (I think, but maybe that was a different dish).  Either way, sooooooooooo so good.

Haha, I just saw this thread and was like I should tell them about my mom's mac and cheese and Messily beat me to it! Homemade mac and cheese is the best, not much harder than the box stuff and so much tastier. I use:

2 Tablespoons butter, melt in a large-ish pan over medium-low heat until it stops bubbling
2 Tablespoons flour, mix in well and let cook until it's golden
1 to 1 1/2 cup milk, mix in a bit at a time then cook, stirring until it's thickened (about 5 minutes)
4 to 6 oz grated sharp chedder cheese, mix in until it's all melted
1/3 cup spagetti sauce

Put over cooked noodles (this makes enough sauce for about 2/3 of a pound of noodles). My mom bakes it for about 45 minutes at this point, but I don't. Depends on if you want it crusty or creamy. Also depends on how hungry you are for mac and cheese!

Serve with cottage cheese (sounds weird but everyone who'd tried it has been converted) and cooked frozen peas. My favorite comfort meal!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
PlayItGeorge
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2006 08:26:37 AM »

Like, you add the cottage cheese at the end on top, or you bake it on or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

8littlepaws.wordpress.com
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2006 09:32:47 AM »

You put the cottage cheese on it at the end...I usually serve it to the side and take a little bit with each bite of macaroni. Best if it's full-fat cottage cheese, the good stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stitch Seams Together
How to Replace Yarn
How to Select Knitting Needles
How to Sew a Tote Bag
How to Sew
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...