A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,306
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Curry and chips?  (Read 981 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« on: April 27, 2006 05:45:48 PM »

Anyone know a good recipe for chip-shop type curry?  I've tried the Japanese curry paste and curry Bisto before, but I'm short on cash/well-stocked on spices and *very* hungry for curry and chips.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
Amy214
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006 11:37:28 AM »

My MIL uses the regular beef bisto and store bought curry powder for her curry and chips. I don't know if it is authentic or not, actually until your thread she was the only person I ever knew that made these together.
She just cooks and drains stir-fry beef adds the bisto(that has already been added to water) and adds curry and flour, it's wonderful but may be different than what you are looking for
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grannystylee
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006 10:50:55 PM »

I'm guessing you're Brittish right?  And what you call chips, we call french fries and what we call chips, you call crisps...So I'm picturing a creamy yellow curry sauce on the chips?  We moslt do tomato ketchup which I don't love.   Maybe it's PMS but curry chips sound very appealing, or curry fries.  I make curry sauce with curry powder and coconut milk (I guess thats thai style?)  I bet fry/chips would be good with curry flavored vegenaise! I don't know if you get that but it is yummy vegan mayonaise.  I've gotta try that sometime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
serialdeviant
Like personal swaps? Me too.

This was completely unintentional

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006 11:05:55 PM »

You're probably better off getting Indian curry sauces... if all else fails, go to your local Asian supermarket and pick some curries up there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Inara
I am cute little bunny. I pose no threat to society

It's hard to work in groups when you're omnipotent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006 03:45:31 PM »

Actually, it's more Chinese-style curry - the curry roux that comes in blocks is pretty close, but it's still not quite right, and I haven't figured out how to doctor it properly.  The way it usually comes  is the chips are separate and the curry is separate for dipping, with lovely bits of chicken in it.  I know the stuff doesn't have coconut milk in it, because I'm allergic to coconut.

I wish I were in the UK at the moment, I could probably find decent pre-made stuff at the market. Until a decent pub opened near me, I had to wait to fulfill my chip cravings between visits to the grandparents. Oooh...there's a thought - maybe I just need to go join one of the international swaps Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sleep beckons. Also waves. Also makes threatening gestures and hops up and down until I notice. - Neil Gaiman

http://effulgentstudios.etsy.com
http://inara-knits.blogspot.com
serialdeviant
Like personal swaps? Me too.

This was completely unintentional

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006 02:33:04 AM »

China Chinese don't actually make curry, it's an Overseas Chinese thing, I think. You can see if you can find Nonya or Peranakan curry at the Asian supermarket (or look up a recipe) - I think it's the best curry in the world!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chimera
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2006 02:49:31 PM »

My MIL makes her curry with a can of Campbells cream of mushroom soup -it's actually quite good and cheap!!

I have had curry and chips in a pub -it is usually curry mixed with brown gravy -also very good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jillianb
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006 11:03:41 AM »

My ex-roommate (Irish) said that pre-soaked raisins were at the base of his dad's curry sauce recipe.  Unfortunately, I never drug the entire thing out of him.  I keep meaning to experiment, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mewler
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006 11:06:55 AM »

Where do you live?  In NY and NJ, the "international" aisles in the supermarket have chip shop curry. I'm assuming that's what your'e looking for.  Plus if you can wait,  there are a lot of websites that sells British goods.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
white trash hero
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006 12:00:08 PM »

i love real curry n chips from the indian but i hate chippy curry sauce and the chinese stuff it blows!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Shadows and Highlights With Acrylic
How to Paint Tulips With Acrylic
How to Paint Abstract Flowers With Acrylic
Texturing and Blending With Acrylic Paint
Acrylic Brush Strokes Techniques
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding
Spotlight on: Smoothies with Recipe Goodness
Pamper Yourself!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...