A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 298,749
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: MSG-Free?  (Read 476 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lucid501
« on: August 17, 2005 11:26:29 AM »

I recently found out that MSG in foods may be causing my long-time migraines/dizziness. Apparently it is in just about everything we eat and in people who are sensitive to it, it can cause a whole mess of problems. (If anyone would like more information, a great site/book info is here: www.msgmyth.com) I am hopeful that cutting out MSG will work for me, as I have always have a tendency to eat a lot of processed foods and such, and have nearly always suffered from spells of extreme dizziness, and now migraines. My doctor just keeps pushing more medicine on me, but if this is something I can control with diet alone, then of course I would love to. Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else on here has decided to stop eating food with MSG, or at least cut back, and if they can recommend any non-MSG food brands or restaurant items? Recipes would also be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
McAuliflower
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005 11:01:23 PM »

I hope your book also made you aware that MSG occurs naturally in many foods.  It isn't just an additive.

Good luck, sounds like a lot of tough sleuthing.  Also sounds like a good opportunity to stop eating processed foods (which often have MSG).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
lucid501
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005 07:40:12 AM »

I hope your book also made you aware that MSG occurs naturally in many foods.  It isn't just an additive.

Good luck, sounds like a lot of tough sleuthing.  Also sounds like a good opportunity to stop eating processed foods (which often have MSG).

Yes, I know it is found in tomatoes, cheese, mushrooms in high amounts naturally, and in some foods it is released upon soaking, like corn, just to name a few. That makes it hard, but right now I am just trying to eliminate it in all processed food and eat mostly fresh veggies/fruit and safe meats and see how much that helps. After a while, I should be able to tell more immediately and accurately what food/foods caused my reaction if I get one and then try to eliminate those natural ones that bother me as well. It is difficult since there is very little information about exactly how much MSG is in any certain food, natural or not.

I agree though, it is a good opportunity to stop eating processed foods. I have always said that we should eat healthier but this gave me the jumpstart I needed and a reason to keep it up.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
One Maxi Dress Styled 10 Ways
Digital Dressing Room: Hardwired
United States in Style: New Mexico
5 Ways To Wear A White Dress After Labor Day
Fashions To Help Your Kids Rock The New School Year
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...