A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,562
Currently Running With Scissors:
359 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Organic Healthy Snacks Help  (Read 580 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ezri_B
« on: August 17, 2005 09:06:39 AM »

Hi, I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat like one most of the time. However, my brother, his wife and their young daughter are organic vegetarians.
Well, my niece, who is almost 1, is going to be spending a week here (first time really,) while my brother goes on vacation. I am trying to come up with good fun "spoiling" sort of treats that I won't be undermining (even by accident) their diet.

The rest of my family thinks they are crazy and overprotective, etc... That is why she gets to stay here. I don't follow their specific things, but they know I won't slip her something just to spite them. Anyway, here are the guidelines they have given me;
she can't have dairy yet,(they want to wait until she is at least 3) she eats no meat of any kind, she doesn't eat eggs (on their own, but in cakes and such are fine,) no refined sugar, nothing processed, everything must be organic

That's all I can remember;
Now like I said, we aren't bad eaters, but my kids get refined sugar now and then, my kids eat meat, my kids don't usually eat organic, etc.... so I need ideas on snacks I can make and buy that she can eat. Meal foods are good too. But I especially want snack type foods.

Also I figured if I find some prepackaged organic good for her foods, I can buy a few boxes and give them to my family so when she comes over, she can have a snack with the rest of the kids. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
tab
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005 09:57:43 AM by Ezri_B » THIS ROCKS   Logged

silencepainter
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005 09:25:49 AM »

Is she allowed peanutbutter?

Fresh ground natural peanutbutter is good.  Non freshground "natural" is nasty.   So you could pair that with good crackers.

FRUITS.  Fruits are good.  Fruits are naturally sweet and healthy.  Just be sure to rinse/wash well even if they come from a natural food place or farmers market, there is sometimes still pesticides.

A little bit of local honey with bread or fruit is yum.  Has an added benefit of helping with local pollen allergies.

You might want to ask them for snack and food recomendations.  I"m sure they'd be happy to supply you with ideas.

Lauren
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eibhinn
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005 09:40:07 AM »

Alot of parents won't give their children nuts until they are older in case they are allergic to them.
If she does eat nuts, nuts themselves are a good treat. MMmm.. cashews...

Also - don't give honey to children under two. From what I've heard, they can get botulism from it. It's not vegan anyway.

Bear in mind that for a child who has never been taught that candy is a treat, a mango, or some similarly luscious fruit could be a real treat. You might also want to think about getting organic fruit leathers.

You can make a vegan sweet by mixing together some peanut or almond butter with some maple syrup (if allowed) or barley malt syrup and some Carob powder (like chocolate - but not bad for you!!) and mix it with crunchy cereal and maybe some raisins. I let it harden a bit in the fridge and roll into balls - you can put coconut or something on the outside to make it less sticky. LIke crunchy organic chocolately granola bars!

Also - try apple sauce, smoothies made with bananas and fruit juice and fruit and maybe some soy yogurt, and you could try making popcicles out of the smoothie as well.

As for less sweet snacks - I guess it depends on how spicy the little tyke eats her food...  I haven't fed a little kid in a long time.

Popular veg snacks are hummus and pita or veg and pita, of course. I've heard that sometimes little kids prefer hummus made of peanut butter, and easy on the garlic.

OH OH OH!!! I just had a good idea -
The cookbooks How it All Vegan and The Garden of Vegan are awesome and have lots of recipes for kids. Alot of libraries have them. I don't - but have tried recipes from them before and they were great! They come very highly recommended and even have vegan recipes for play dough and stuff for kids.
They'll probably have much better ideas than I have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005 09:55:43 AM »

Thank you, I know they aren't vegan totally. (Like they do eat honey, but like you said, she is still to young.) I don't know about nuts.... that I will definitely ask about.

I asked them about snacks and they said, a muffin or veggies is fine. Which I agree with, but I still would like to be a little more fun than mom and dad.... if you know what I mean. Something different that she gets at auntie's house.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though. I think I will look into those books, and keep the suggestions in mind. Please keep them coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dukes Of Melrose Fashion Picks For Last "Meal"
#MyModamobStyle: Featured Reader @NatyBaby
How To Wear A Blazer Like The Stars
New Jeans Change Color When Body Temperature Changes
Kate Middleton Goes Bold in Leopard Print
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...