A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,574
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Transfer Using Goo Gone and Photocopies???  (Read 16802 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

laura99
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2005 12:53:12 PM »

Jhoulez it's been a long time, thank you for the advice I follow them hehehe. I already have a T-shirt with the plastic-shinny transfer. Looks nice. But this time I forgot to mirror the letters. OHHHH Well next time I will do it.

Thanks again you are so nice. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jhoulez
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2005 10:27:28 AM »

Grin No problem!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Era Vera
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2005 05:00:49 PM »

Can anyone tell me how long it should take to rub it? I'm using goo-gone (should I try something else?) and I've been rubbing for ages, but all I've got is really really faint.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
lauriemk
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2006 10:25:58 AM »

At long last I got a digital camera, so here are some pictures of a shirt I made awhile ago with a laser printer picture and Citra-Solv.  

It is about a year old, and has faded a bit, but not too badly.  

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011 10:51:18 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
anndisaster
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2006 10:53:55 AM »

just had to throw my transferring experience in here!

I did a little transferring workshop at school, and we tried lots of solvents... nail polish remover, straight acetone (hardware stores have it), goo gone, citra solv, etc. etc.

My favorite, heavily-relied upon transferring agent is Xylene.. which is conveniently packaged in Chartpak blender markers.  They are the clear ones you use to "blend" the ink from the other markers together on the paper.  If you have an art supply shop near you that sells the Chartpak markers, pick one up!  They are expensive-ish ($3+ apiece here in MI, and I go through them quickly, I like to do big transfer projects!) but so fun, and very reliable.  I have used them on my handmade paper as well as on cotton fabrics, and the quality is always good. 

The rubbing is definitely necessary to get a good transfer of the toner... because the xylene evaporates quickly, what I do is tape the image down so it doesn't wiggle when I'm rubbing, then wet a small section of the print, cap the marker, burnish the back of the image with some kind of tool (spoon, bone/teflon folder, etc.), then move on to the next small section.  I will have to post some things I've done with this method to show you guys.  So fun!

!!! edited to add:  this MUST be done in a very well-ventilated area, you don't want to be breathing lots of xylene fumes.

You do NOT want to use xylene, it is terrible for you.  I know from personal exerience - crew members having headaches for days because they used xylene.  this is the msds sheet for it http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/x2000.htm. Look at the Hazards Identification area,   I would highly reccomend not using xylene.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CardiaK
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2006 12:55:27 PM »

I had to register just to give thanks to everyone for a GREAT idea.  So.. um... Thanks!  Grin

I've been jonesing for some vintage-style shirts with pop (and geek) culture references, and my cheap ass just wasn't willing to dole out $20-$40 a shirt from one of these internet places (80stees.com and the like) for either the print I wanted on a shirt I wasn't going to like, or a shirt I liked with a print that wasn't exactly what I wanted. 

And yes, oxymoronic as it is, the money comes from my cheap ass.

From what I've seen, a sort of distressed look is what you end up with, which is perfect since I plan to juxtapose the vintage style with more modern pop culture.

I had to ask though, has anyone tried this with color laser printouts?  If I can, I'd love to take advantage of the nice color laser printer right next to my desk at work.

Thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lauriemk
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2006 01:47:16 PM »

It does leave a kind of distressed/retro look which is part of what I really like about it.  I have not used a color laser print, as I do not have access to one.  You should try it and let us know what happens!  If it still uses toner, it should work.  I did try it with a color Xerox once, which I was told should work, but it did not. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
CardiaK
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2006 09:55:31 AM »

It does leave a kind of distressed/retro look which is part of what I really like about it.  I have not used a color laser print, as I do not have access to one.  You should try it and let us know what happens!  If it still uses toner, it should work.  I did try it with a color Xerox once, which I was told should work, but it did not.

Thanks Laurie.

Yeah the printer definitely uses toner, I personally change the cartridges regularly, there's a different cartridge for each color to make up CMYK; and there's powdery crap all over the used cartridges when I take them out.

Hopefully I can print something out tonight before I leave work and give it a try over the weekend!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
andjax
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2006 08:03:06 PM »

Hello!

I've done the transfers with Goo-gone and photocopies. They turned out pretty spiffy!

How to:
Make a BLACK and WHITE copy of the image. COLOR will not transfer properly.
Cut the image out, but leave a little bit of white paper around the edge.
Place image facedown where ever you want it.
Brush a little bit of the goo-gone on the image- a little paintbrush works well.
Use the back of a spoon to rub the goo-gone in. ( i had to rub pretty hard...the lines came out darker that way)
You can carefully check the the transfer-ability of the image by lifting up a corner- make sure that your lines line up!
You can always add a bit more goo-gone and rub somemore

I found that you can only use a image once. There is not enough oomph for it to transfer twice. They also hold up really well in the wash! (Both on white t-shirts and pillow cases)The fumes are strong so I did them outside on my apartment porch.

I like the slightly faded look of the transfers. Have fun! I hope that this help!

Thanks, very cool idea. I'm going to try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

reduce, recycle, reuse
stacey
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006 11:04:23 PM »

Hi all, I just completed a textile printing course and will share my tidbits of knowledge.

First off, we used the evil Goof Off, which is a xylene product. Incidentally, our instructor used an old Chartpak blender and dipped it into a small yoghourt cup of xylene, thus rehydrating it. So don't go buying new ones!

We taped a high-contrast b/w photocopy face-down (and reversed) onto the fabric, then applied xylene either by marker or with a foam brush. Then we burnished with a spoon; older photocopies (more than a couple of weeks old) took longer to transfer, but fresher ones took the least time. I had some (5" by 5" images) that transferred with just a little light rubbing, and others that took about a minute of rubbing all over. Those were the sort of distressed and patchy transfers; the fresh photocopies gave strong and sharp images.

Using a slightly padded surface to do your rubbing on is helpful. I had great success with a shower curtain smoothed over a length of polar fleece fabric (on top of a masonite board, because our picnic table is textured plastic). If you're rubbing on a hard surface, you may miss a few spots due to the spoon curvature.

So, what every one else said - xylene is really gross stuff. Use outside and stand upwind, if possible. If you have access to a fume hood, beg to use it. Wear gloves; throw fashion to the wind and wear goggles too. DON'T USE IT AROUND CHILDREN. Don't even let them know what you're up to!

Running an iron over the back of the transfer heat-sets the carbon and softens the fabric, which can be stiff and "crunchy" when newly-transferred.

We were transferring onto plain cotton and silk, and I love how they turned out. In addition, we hand-painted the fabric using Polyfab pigments and Lusitex medium. I also experimented at home with Jo Sonja textile medium and cheapish acrylic and watercolour paints, to nice effect. Again, the fabric is a bit crunchy, but heat-setting takes care of that.

I'm incredibly lame and don't have photos. Sorry.

I'm unsure about the lifespan of solvent transfers. Our instructor said they don't last very long with laundering, and they use them only for pieces that are for display, such as wall-hangings or art pieces. I was able to hand-wash one silk sample in hot water, rubbing vigorously with no soap, and it didn't seem to do any harm; I've yet to make a more concerted effort. I plan to do a solvent transfer onto my all-purpose testing t-shirt - or more likely, one of my kid's shirts - and wash it a few times to see how it goes.

Something I saw a while ago that I just remembered is Mod Podge for textiles, which is supposed to be a sealer. I thought that might aid in protecting a solvent tranfer, but I suspect that it gives a rubbery or shiny finish to the fabric, which I'm not fond of. Has anyone here used it?

Anyway, I hope this all helps. If I ever get any pictures taken (or time to myself, ever) then I'll be sure to post them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to choose meat for your Meatloaf
Home Style Meatloaf Recipe
The Best Salad in the History of Mankind
How to Fry and Serve Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Bread Tomatoes when Making Fried Green Tomatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...