A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Transfer Using Goo Gone and Photocopies???  (Read 16789 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amyshrugged

ohhh...we could start over again

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2005 07:44:16 AM »

just to be clear.... ink is water-based, so the paper just soaks it up and solvents (ie acetone, xylene, etc.) don't work on it because there's nothing to dissolve... it's all soaked into the paper fibers.  toner (from laser printers and copy machines) is a dry powder that is adhered onto the paper through heat... so when you apply a solvent, some of the powder is loosened from the print/copy, and when you rub it, you transfer that loosened powder onto a new surface.  if this doesn't make sense, let me know... but hopefully it will help someone (anyone?) have a successful transferring experience.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
laura99
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2005 01:13:31 PM »

OHHHHHHHHHHHH MY, Oh My !!!! You just cleared everything. Do you know how much time I invest looking for this answer?Huh Why we use different media ( I don't know if this is the right terminology) to make different transfers? and which printer is the right for a project?(ink or laser).

You need to post this in a separate tread Just to get rid of  our spider webs of confusion.

YOU ROCK!!!! Oh yeah, Oh yeah (picture me dancing)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollyg9211

9 out of 10 ninjas agree...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2005 02:07:51 PM »

check out the big brain on Amyshrugged.  Smiley  thanks for the tip
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop for KiWi Cuties apparel at
http://www.kiwicuties.etsy.com
amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2005 04:06:27 PM »

LOL... wow.  Ok, I guess my time spent as a copy girl was time well spent.   Wink 
glad that was helpful, really.  (laura, I definitely am picturing you dancing, hehe!)  any more questions, or successes!!, let me know. 
I really will post something transferred here someday.  Something good.  Actually I already know what, but I don't have time/digital pictures right now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now accepting orders for custom handmade books.. treat yourself to a new handbound journal or sketchbook! 
PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
laura99
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2005 06:09:59 PM »

Well I don't know where or How to start... I'm experimenting, with the Transfer Goop.

Ok that was my 1st attempt, far away from perfection.

Here's the 2nd attempt, very happy about the pic, not too clear and glossy as the directions said but I'm happy, by the way you can see the tag  of the product  I'm using. Is not clear enough but the transfer is supposedly cured in the paper.

Next I cut it, got rid of the  paper you can see in the 1st pic little rolls of it, so now I have a transparent plastic with the image of my daughter's cat.
Everything sound good right? NOPE not right
Here is the problem, HOW CAN I ADHERE THE PLASTIC THINGY TO FABRIC?Huh
I follow the indications and was the recipe for a perfect mess. This is what I was trying to do: Glue the pic or transfer to my FIRST reconstructed or deconstructed cargo pants (used 2 of them) in..........a CARGO BAG!!!! my 1st craftster craft!! need to finish it , but ok that's not the point. Grin
I messed the transfer and the bag Cry Cry Cry
Here's a visual of my idea, cant see the mess, cant see the pic. I swear the pic is not that glossy and looked original/nice in the cargo bag (damn flash).

Any way I'm trying to get rid of plastic or glue from the bag, and the "ink" from the transfer parts are gone. I know I need to try again.

Just wanted to vent, AND I DID!!! Grin Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amyshrugged

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2005 06:25:14 PM »

I love that bag, regardless of what happened with the transfer... speaking of... what happened??  I am not familiar with this product... what kind of process did you have to go through to get it to work?

In my experience, transferring has just involved a black and white laser/copier image (haven't tried color yet, heard it doesn't work as well), printed in reverse, so when you put it face down on the item you're transferring it to, it's oriented correctly... then add some kind of solvent in small amounts to the back of the print, rub the print onto the item, and you're done.

Sure it's a touchy kind of process, depending on the age of your print, the solvents you used, the item you're transferring onto and its texture, and your speed at rubbing before the solvent dries... not to mention your tolerance for toxic fumes...  Roll Eyes ... but never experienced clear sheets of plastic before..Huh  give us more info, laura!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me for details.

etsy shop coming soon!
laura99
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2005 12:23:29 PM »

http://www.artisanschoice.com/homepage.html

Click on Transfers Unlimited or Washable transfers.  You will have the idea. (is nothing we were talking about no solvents involved)
You know what I thought in the beginning of this tread (thread?) that we were talking about the Goop Transfer or (Goof transfer) of course not.
Sorry to start a different topic.
I will post tonight or tomorrow the t-shirt I made with this stuff. Hopefully the camera flash will let us see the shinny image.

After you are done reading the directions you will see where I got stuck, is  with: transfering the image to the surface you want! In my case was the bag (tonight I will do it in a t-shirt). And directions said, put more Goop transfer on the back of the picture, and Iron it. (I dont have the special heat paper that they sell).  Hooby Looby didnt have anything in inventory, just the jar with the Goop (type glue) thingy, and I took the last jar. Cry

Hope this help. Did I say I use laser image?
Thanks for the compliment I needed someone to feed my ego! And thanks to be here for all of us!!!
Laura
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2005 03:10:53 PM »

wow. i'm loving this thread...i was about to purchase transfer paper (holy crap that stuff is expensive) and am now inspired to try this first.  Sounds like the solvent is the key.  Careful with that xylene, kids, it's one of those funny ones that there aren't a ton of experiments done on - they can't say whether it causes cancer and whatnot.  It's all a balance/payoff weighing kind of thing for sure (i do welding, inhaling all kinds of crap) but i don't want any of your wonderful crafty brains diminishing so be sure to do things in a well ventilated spot!  Okay, there, i'm off to inhale paint thinner. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.com
Jhoulez
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2005 08:54:23 AM »

Thank you laura99
I haven't used transfer goop in a long time, and you asked how to get it onto fabric.
What I remember doing is infusing it onto muslin. I think I put the goop on the back of the finished transfer and ironed it, (muslin facing down) on that plastic that comes in the kit (wax paper would probably work too). Then when it dries and everything cut it off of the sheet of muslin. I suggest muslin because it is cheap and not stretchy. They give you some fabric in the kit but it stretches.
Here are some pictures of my past experiences with transfer goop:
[img src="http://www.boomspeed.com/pisciscaelum/sunmoonpatch.JPG"]
This is probably the one I liked best. It turned out better because it was small. I found that the larger the image, the harder it is to work with. I infused this to muslin, which made it a glossy not stretchy patch. I then sewed it to this tank top by using a zigzag stich that had 0 spacing.
[img src="http://www.boomspeed.com/pisciscaelum/bigpatch.JPG"]
This is the bigger one I tried to do. Because it was so big, I had to iron it longer and that burnt it so now that is why it is kind of dark. This one isn't sewn to anything so that's why the corners are folded.
I hope that helps people. By the way laura99, the cat patch on the bag was soo cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pnk_elefant

tralalalaLALA.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2005 12:34:00 PM »

i'm really not familiar with transfers, but i'll have to try this some time..=)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It takes a crane to build a crane
It takes two floors to make a story
It takes an egg to make a hen it takes a hen to make an egg
There is no end to what Im saying..."
-Life is Wonderful, Jason Mraz
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
All About Collections in Lightroom 2
Installing a Web Widget in Dreamweaver CS4
Creating a Flash Gallery Using Bridge CS4
Linking Pages, Graphics, and Web Sites Using Dreamweaver CS4
Using Behaviors in Dreamweaver CS4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...