A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 304,855
Currently Running With Scissors:
721 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Transfer Using Goo Gone and Photocopies???  (Read 17025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

NessaGurl
« on: August 17, 2005 06:38:58 AM »

Hello...I saw an article last year in the Bust magazine which explained how to do transfers using alcohol or goo gone and photocopies...I can't find my issue of Bust so I was wondering if someone else saw this and maybe has the instructions...if you do...could you post it here please....please...please!

I know that there are way easier ways to do transfers, but I liked the way they looked when completed...a little faded and old looking.

thanks in advance.

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
starlawill
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005 03:55:19 PM »

i would also love to see an answer to this question. i tried using a photocopy i did using the copy machine at work and goo gone but it didn't work. i heard that if the machine is very new, it won't work. or was it that i used goo gone? so what kind of toner would work? is there another option other than the thinner i saw in another post? i live in an apartment and i'm afraid the fumes would be too strong. thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pibbgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2005 02:07:45 PM »

Oh I want to know how too if someone finds out how.  Sounds interesting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lauriemk
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2005 02:26:08 PM »

I can't get the search feature to work right now, but there is a ton about this around the boards.  Try under clothing: reconstructed and try searching for solvent and transfer. 

Anyway, I do this a lot with Citra Solv (I like the fruity smell) and a laser printer.  I have heard Xeroxing works as well, but my one attempt to do a color Xerox did not work.  Basically, print your picture on a laser printer then lay it print side down on your t-shirt or whatever.  Using a paintbrush, liberally brush Citra Solv or your solvent of choice all over the paper. Then rub rub rub with the back of a spoon.  I like to tape the picture down to keep it from sliding.  As you rub, you'll see the picture on the paper get grayer.  Check from time to time to see how it is going, and when you are happy with the result you are done!  I find it works best the more dark black you have in the picture to transfer.  I always let mine sit to dry for at least overnight and iron over them in an attempt to heat press.  My oldest one is more than 8 months old and has had little to no fading.  It also works best on flatter material.  I did some on ribbed tanktops and they are a little more faded, although I like them that way. 

But definitely do the search for more info in the other threads about this. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
onecraftybitch
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005 02:58:17 PM »

Hello!

I've done the transfers with Goof off and photocopies. They turned out pretty spiffy!

How to:
Make a BLACK and WHITE copy of the image. COLOR will not transfer properly.
Cut the image out, but leave a little bit of white paper around the edge.
Place image facedown where ever you want it.
Brush a little bit of the goof off on the image- a little paintbrush works well.
Use the back of a spoon to rub the goof off in. ( i had to rub pretty hard...the lines came out darker that way)
You can carefully check the the transfer-ability of the image by lifting up a corner- make sure that your lines line up!
You can always add a bit more goof off and rub somemore

I found that you can only use a image once. There is not enough oomph for it to transfer twice. They also hold up really well in the wash! (Both on white t-shirts and pillow cases)The fumes are strong so I did them outside on my apartment porch.

I like the slightly faded look of the transfers. Have fun! I hope that this help!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006 05:57:45 AM by onecraftybitch » THIS ROCKS   Logged

NessaGurl
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005 05:28:35 AM »

Lauriemk and onecraftybitch....
OHHHHH THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU...

Can't wait to finally try it.

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
onecraftybitch
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005 02:57:29 PM »

One more quick thing-

It's not goo- gone, but goof off! I found the bottle of goof off in my craft box last night. I'm sorry about the mistake earlier!

Good luck with the crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pibbgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005 02:59:50 PM »

what is goof off?  I've never heard of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hollyg9211

9 out of 10 ninjas agree...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2005 06:26:22 AM »

do you use the citra solv degreaser?  They make a ton of different products

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html/ref=pd_sl_aw_flat_newhpcslicedoug_9978091_1//102-2398573-4221705?platform=gurupa&url=node=3760931&keywords=citra-solv
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shop for KiWi Cuties apparel at
http://www.kiwicuties.etsy.com
lauriemk
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005 05:43:30 PM »

Yeah, what I use is the Citra Solv cleaner and degreaser.  Your link didn't work for me.  But I found a piture here: http://www.citra-solv.com/products/allpurpose.html

I found a small bottle at my grocery store and I have barely made a dent on it while making 5 or 6 shirts. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Your Backpack Look Cool
How to Make Papier-Mache
How to Make Christmas Photo Ornaments
How to Make an Earth Day Coloring Book for Kids
How to Make a Wreath Out of Old CDs
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...