A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knit strawberry hat!  (Read 4046 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

audratron
« on: August 17, 2005 12:59:36 AM »

I have a few big projects i am working on (a 1986 sweater vest my boyfriend's mother started ... in 1986), but as far as knitting projects go, i can slap out knit fruit and hats with gusto! It is because it is much more fun to not use patterns, to me.

after knitting maybe three pairs of dangling strawberries(which i learned how to do here and just added an i-cord between the berries- you do it once and then it just sticks in your head. super simple)
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/audratron/chacha17.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/audratron/chacha15.jpg

i thought to myself, well, that wouldnt be hard at all to do with a hat.

so i treated myself to new yarn and after two days of car-travel-knitting time, i had

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/audratron/senyarrBerryknit2.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/audratron/senyarrBerryknit3.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b225/audratron/senyarrBerryknit.jpg

I am so pleased with how it turned out!

a rough guide to how i made it:

this is really simple if you're familiar with knitting charts and hats.

CO 72 st. on circular needles (mine were size 9). work until you have at least 4" of red.
Divide in groups of 12 on dpn's of same size. i used 3 dpn's with two groups of 12 stitches on each. stitch markers between arent neccesary but really really helpful.
Decrease by k2tog when you get to the beginning of a new group. after you have done this once- that is, there's 11 in each, k 5 st. red, k 1 st. green, k. 5 red.
the next row, continue to decrease but knit the all stitches next to a green stitch in green as well.
the following row, decrease, knitting all the red with red and the green with green.
next row, decrease and knit the all stitches next to a green stitch in green.

repeat the green/red decrease work until you no longer have red stitches. trim your red yarn, leaving enough to weave the end in to the work. continue to decrease with the green until only 6 st total remain- that is, 2 on each needle.
work in round without decreasing!!! until your strawberry stem is desired length, knit one more round k2tog every stitch, and tie off.

that would leave you with a hat with no ear flaps. IMO, non-ear flap hats just roll on the edges and dont do much good because they dont stay on too well.

ear flaps:
PU 25 st on th bottom edge of hat. be sure you are alternating k and p so the flaps go smoothly into the rest of the hat.
row 1- k2tog at the beginning and end of the first row.
row 2- p2tog, purl until row is complete
row 3- knit until two stitches remain, k2tog.

repeat 2 and 3 until you have 17 stitches.
on the next row, alternate k2tog and k.
likewise, p2tog and p
do that until you have 5 stitches- it shouldnt take long, just 3 or 4 of the alternating rows.

divide the 5 stitches between 2 dpn's and work in a circle with a third needle (just like the top of the hat). go go go until you feel it is long enough to tie under your chin.

and you have one earflap!
leave a space of about 10 st between that earflap and the next one you put in.
----------

and that's it! as far as the little leaves go, those were just little triangles of increasing and decreasing i just sort of did without thinking.
AND heads up because i wrote that all from memory. If something seems weird or you want to vary a bit on the stem- strawberry stems arent symmetrical, i dont think!- then you're probably right/it will look fine. I am going to knit another to sell, so i'll try using my own pattern and hopefully get any problems out if there are any.

also, that's the first time i've ever attempted to write knitting instructions. i hope they're clear enough if anyone attempts it. i'm actually pretty sure you'd be able to find an existing pattern. it's hard for me to believe nobody ever tried to turn their hat into fruit before.

next time i'll use purple and make it an eggplant Smiley
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011 11:30:01 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged
girlwonder
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005 01:49:45 AM »

i am so in love with your strawberry hat!

just fabulous.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gracie Girlwonder

"A vagabond, when rich, is called a tourist." -unknown

"To be somebody, a woman does not have to be more like a man, but has to be more of a woman." Sally E. Shaywitz, neuroscientist
pamplemousse
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005 10:49:48 AM »

I am also in love! You look so happy in your hat.

I think putting some dangly strawberries on a hat would be really cute too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm covered in bees!
phamtastic!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005 06:05:12 PM »

hi hi!~
your hat is so awesome. must. have. *drool*. i love strawberries, and this is such a cute hat! : D thanks for the pattern too. great job! (^_^)b <thumbs up> cheers!
~amy~
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kateartichoke
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005 06:07:58 PM »

very nice. i love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shoegazer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 06:18:14 PM »

Very cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faded_dress
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2005 04:13:42 PM »

Great hat, and thanks for the instructions! I cant wait to try it (after I'm done my other zillion knitting projects heh)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swaps welcomed! I have 15 rose balls up for grabs/trade.
paperbot
frequently fighting with my sewing machine

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005 04:37:28 PM »

Oh my gosh, that's so cute! I must go out and buy some circular needles (which I oddly don't have yet... *ponders*) and try that. It'd make SUCH a perfect holiday gift for my friend! Thank you for the incredible tute. <3
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whiterabbit

. . .some people juggle geese!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2005 10:24:30 AM »

This hat is *adorable,* and thank you so much for posting a pattern. Awesome job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(http://swayinglights.com): things i make, things i like, things i see.
AgnesB
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005 04:39:08 PM »

I think I may be too old to wear this hat ... but boy, it is really really cute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Brief History of Comics
The Contribution of Recessions to Creativity
How Internet Ruins Graphic Designing
Milton Glaser on the I Love New York Logo
Comparing American and European 20th Century Design
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...