A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,493
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tooffuu help  (Read 2513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

build a bonfire
« on: April 13, 2004 10:52:14 PM »

hmm i tried cooking tofu before and it went horribly wrong. it stuck to the pan and it was mushy on the inside and burnt on the outside.. it was just sick.
i went to some chinease drive thru place tonight and they had the greatest tasting tofu ever. they were chopped into little cubes and they looked like they were breaded in something. hah i wanna make good tofu like that...
could anyone help?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004 05:51:58 AM »

mmm, i love the chinese style fried tofu.  if i'm thinking what you're thinking, heat up a good amount of oil-enough to liberally cover the bottom of the pan (sesame is delish, but canola/safflower will taste fine, too) to medium-hot...test a piece of tofu to see it it sizzles and dances.
before you cook your tufu, pat off the excess moisture with a dishtowel or papertowel.
carefully load up a layer in the pan and fry away, checking the color frequently-look for that crispy golden thing happenning.
when done, drain on paper towels/bags to sop up the oil, and you're good to go.

about tofu- i've found that if the pieces are small and it's to be used in something saucy, you don't need a marinade; otherwise, you do;tofu is pretty bland. and i always say to people who scoff at tofu's blandness-"well, you wouldn't eat raw chicken out of the package now, would you?" Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

io
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004 09:53:55 AM »

i'm not terribly experienced with tofu cookery but i have a few suggestions.

regarding the blandness of tofu -
it is a fact that most foods, cooked alone, are more palatable than tofu - especially chicken and other meats which have a strong flavour of their own. that doesn't mean that tofu isn't good to eat, it just means that it needs something to go with it.
i usually soak it in soy sauce and lemon juice before cooking, but you could have it with a dipping sauce or anything with a strong flavour.

i have never had a problem frying tofu - perhaps the heat was too low?
tofu, as a food made of processed cooked soya, does not technically need any cooking, so no need to worry about cooking it all through or anything. however cooking it fairly fast gives it a kind of crust which gives it a bit more texture.
it is pretty soft and smooth in texture, so if it's a bit crisp on the outside that can be an improvement.

i wish i could eat tofu more often, but i usually cook for my flatmates as well as myself (in return for not having to wash up), only one of whom will even tolerate tofu. Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monkeyrocker
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004 10:53:13 AM »

The place you went to may have used tempura batter, but here's my ex-roommate's recipe which is also delicious.

Breaded Tofu:

Whatcha need:
-chinese tofu
-vegetable oil
-dark sesame oil
-cornstarch
-salt and pepper or other spices (powdered ginger and white pepper are good, as is fresh grated ginger)
-paper towels
-frying pan

Heat a half-inch of veggie oil in a pan over med-high heat.

Cut tofu into small-ish cubes or slices.

Toss the slices in cornstarch, salt (from experience: don't go too crazy with the salt--you'll probably be dipping in soy sauce, so no need to add too much), and spices untill the tofu is coated with the breading mix.

Add a tsp or so of sesame oil to the pan (sesame oil burns easily, which is why I don't add it until I'm about to fry the tofu); pop your tofu cubes in the pan (be careful not to get splashed by all that hot oil!) and fry each side till golden (about 2 minutes per side).

Drain on paper towels.

You can make a dipping sauce too.  My favorite is a Vietnamese fish sauce with rice or plum wine vineagar and hot pepper flake, but if you're a veggie, you can make a very tasty sauce with a little soy sauce (you don't need that much), water, rice wine vineagar, a splash of sake (if you have it), chopped garlic, a pinch of white pepper, and freshly grated ginger.

Also: another recipe from the cats and tea corner-- (they were my favorite when I was a vegan, and I still use many of their recipes):
http://www.catteacorner.com/vegan-a.htm#sticks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004 10:58:34 AM by monkeyrocker » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I generally avoid temptation unless I can't resist it. --Mae West
GummiSteph
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004 11:34:04 AM »

You should so try to make tofu jerky...it is so delicious. Let me know if you need a recipe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004 11:42:33 AM »

Tofu JERKY?!?!?  In all the years I've been eating tofu I've never even heard of it---yes, please, a recipe!

Will post again when I have more time with some cookery ideas....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004 12:27:21 PM by waterbaby » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GummiSteph
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004 01:50:30 PM »

Tofu Jerky

1 lb extra-firm tofu
1/2 cup soy sauce
3-4 tbsps liquid smoke
1/8 cup water
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp pepper
1 tsp sweetener

Drain the tofu and then cut into long narrow strips about 1/4 inch thick.  Mix the rest of the ingredients together in a bowl.  Put tofu strips in a shallow pan or cookie sheet and pour marinade over them.  Let marinate for several hours or overnight in the fridge.  Cook the tofu in a food dehydrator if you have one, or you can bake in the oven for 4-6 hours at 200 degrees F.  Turn the tofu over once every hour.  Continue until the tofu is chewy but not burnt or crispy.  Store in a tupperware type container, will keep indefinitely.

Seriously, I know you don't believe me that this stuff is good, but you have to make it at least once.  It tastes just like real jerky!  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
build a bonfire
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004 06:43:05 PM »

thanks for the tips and recipies... hah im excited to give cooking tofu another try.
tofu jerky... that sounds really intresting Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2004 11:55:36 PM »

fun with tofu texture!

1. freeze it, then thaw. it actually gets chewy and kind of spongy, and sucks up more sauce. my favorite is this tofu in homemade bbq sauce (lots of ingredients but simple to make).

2. steam it! it gets chewy and kind of rubbery-- very meaty. if you then shake it in flour or breadcrumbs with a bit of cumin and pepper, and fry it up, it will taste a lot like chicken nuggets.

3. the more you drain and press tofu before cooking, the more seasoning it will suck up and the less soft it will be. a good way to press it is to put tofu on a board with a few plates stacked on top. (steaming accomplishes the same sort of thing-- it gets the excess water out).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004 06:40:45 PM »

You can make a mixture of breadcrumbs, wheatgerm and spices, coat blotted tofu with it and then put it in the oven to bake for about 10-20 mins.  Then serve with a dipping sauce (I like peanut sauce).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 3
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 2
How to Edit Audio in Adobe Soundbooth Lesson 1
Introduction to Adobe Dreamweaver - Overview
How to Get Around in Adobe Acrobat Lesson 4
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...