A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,095
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wool sweater into fuzzy mittens!  (Read 71471 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , sweater_recon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Waxwing
« on: April 13, 2004 08:43:00 PM »

I saw this idea in a magazine. These are the easiest and warmest mittens you can make, and they're recycled! Yay! I know it's spring, but I just discovered this forum and I wanted to share!

Take a funky sweater (must be pure wool...mine is from a thrift store). Throw it in the washer (with hot soapy water!) to shrink and felt it. Let it dry. Meanwhile, trace around your hand on a piece of paper. (hold your hand in a mitten shape)

Then add half an inch for seam allowance

Cut out your pattern and pin it on your sweater. My sweater had ribbing on the bottom, which I used as the cuffs for my mitts. Place the non-thumb side of the pattern along the side seam of the sweater, so you don't have to sew that part!

Cut out the shape from the sweater (cut through both thicknesses at once), then machine-sew with the right sides in. You might bend a needle or 2 if the wool is very thick! You could hand-sew instead. Repeat for the other mitten.

Trim the seam allowances, Turn right side out, and ta-da! Custom-fitted, fuzzy-warm, no-knit mittens in your favorite color! I made a smaller pair for my niece out of the same sweater, using the sleeves. The ribbed cuffs became the mitten cuffs!

I live in beautiful, snowy Canada, and these mitts have been tested to minus 40 degrees Celsius! They are superwarm and not itchy at all. Next I will try a mohair pair. Enjoy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Make it over, Wear it out; Make it do,
or Do without.
craftymed
now with 2 sidekick dogs!!

Crafty with an M.D. (finally!)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004 08:49:10 PM »

those are fantastic!  that's a great idea to use the already exisiting cuffs too.

oddly enough, i just went to the thrift store today to buy 100% wool stuff to "felt" for my crafty projects.

(felting is what you did with the hot water and washing machine/dryer thing)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything I know about sewing I learned in suture class.
mochisaru
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2004 08:37:55 PM »

the best part about living in a dorm is that some people dont know how to do laundry and unintentionally felt their sweaters and then they throw 'em in the freebox...i've gotten so many felted sweaters this way, but at the same time, i kind of feel sorry for people who have ruined their $80 sweaters(but by the age of 19, most people should know better, right?). maybe i'll make some mittens tonight, thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cruise through your day the iron rice way!
zulubug
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2004 06:57:14 PM »

hey, i saw your post and copied the idea. it's so fantastic and i had all these old sweaters i was gonna get rid of. i live in melbourne, australia but it does get kinda cold here. lots of my friends want them, and i'm even thinking of selling some. thanks for the idea.
i've been trying to insert a pic, but i can't seem to work out how, i'm a newbie and kinda confused.
if i work out how i will send one.
cheers..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Valette

like a steamed vegetable, only smarter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004 04:24:28 PM »

This is too brilliant.  Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jhoulez
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006 08:10:02 AM »

Thanks for the tute! I live in Michigan and it's so hard to keep my hands warm. I can't wait to get a wool shirt and try it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
o0katiecat0o
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006 07:14:09 AM »

I'm in snowey NH and was just thinking i need a pair of mittens for cross country. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I haven't been on in a while.
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006 08:12:37 AM »

awsome! i have a white and blacks striped sweater i have been meaning to shrink... i have just been stumped as to what to make from it.. now it will be mittens!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006 11:23:12 AM »

What a wonderful Idea becasue it's getting cold here and you can find tons of sweaters in the local thrift stores. Smiley Thanks for sharing how you did this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spicecarrie
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006 12:03:09 PM »

I love these! I've been wanting to try this, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maya Romanoff Receives a Lifetime Achievement Award
Visit the Cincinnati Contemporary Arts Center
Grange Insurance Audubon Center: Interior
Case Study: Grange Insurance Audubon Center
COLOUR ONE Exihibt Setup by Scholten and Baijing
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...