A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,040
Currently Running With Scissors:
582 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: City/Area Swap (SIGNUPS CLOSED, Extended to send out Oct 24th)  (Read 6444 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 16, 2005 07:27:47 PM »

Swap name: City/Area Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: humblestumble
Sign-up date range: Sep 05 - Sep 1
4, 2005

Date to send item by: October 15,2005 October 24th

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): Nope

Non-U.S. participants allowed? Yes

All ages allowed? Or 18+? All ages

Organizer is aware of current list of "suspended traders"
list and will not allow those members to participate: YES

Organizer meets the 4 conditions for swapping and will make sure that every participant meets these conditions: YES

Details of swap:

First of all, crafting is mostly optional in this swap.

If you live in a small town I would still like to see you showcase the city/town YOU live in as at least a secondary theme if you can't think of a whole lot for it.

These are guides, but generally you should include them in your swap. If not, I won't kill you :-p

include a little tidbit and pics about your favourite, secret local place (if you have one)
*1 open project to do whatever (or more if u like) related to the city of course!
*1 recipe of something that's commonly eaten where you live (it can be really simple...like here we eat burritos)
1 postcard from the city
1 souveneir (cheap! or make your own from inspiration of local souveneirs...if u can find any cause I know some of you might live in a small town)
*1 CD/tape of a local band (optional because not everyone knows a local band)

* = encouraged

Also, you can maybe clear up some stereotypes in a crafty way... like here everyone thinks that in Texas everyone's a cowboy who owns a horse and a ranch and likes country music - that's just not it at all. I might just take pictures of the gulf over here and make a collage or something to show it's not all about country music and stuff. (it's more about tejano - blech. And "Selena" - we have a statue of her here on the bayfront. But it's not a big deal to everyone who lives here really)

I really do just want this swap to be about YOUR town/area. And what kind of bands play, the food your city eats at home - for example, I live in southern texas, and all of us here eat Tex-mex food, and I could give some recipes of that, burn some music of my favorite local band, get some info of the x-games, and the tourist attractions over here (we're really becoming one)...and stuff like that. I will most definitely take pictures, even though I don't see my City as being all that great, I want other people to know about it because they might think it's beautiful. Something that I take for granted everyday they may love to visit or move to.

For back talk, go here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=41426.0

When you sign up, I want to know what area/city(your city and surrounding big cities if it's just a small town/city you live in) you are from, and where you would like to receive from.

Keep in mind, I cannot please everyone with a specific request,  but if you let it be known then you will have a better chance at it.

And if you can't send out of the US but would like to receive from another country, that may be doable depending on the circumstances![/color]

If you want to join but are unsure, please respond to this post so I have a general idea of what's going on Wink

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer:

QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap:
Craftster username:
Email address:
Your real name:
Mailing address:
Would you be willing to ship to an address outside of the your country?:
Are there any places you would HATE or not prefer to receive from?:
What kind of places would you most like to receive from? (ie: beachy, westerny, overseas)
What specific place would you like to receive from? (I CANNOT confirm that you will be able to, but telling me is better than nothing)
What well-known area do you live close to and may be using in this swap? (optional answer if N/A)

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

Status is at the swap gallery - http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=53654.0

Participants (listed with province/state and/or country) and status if available:

humblestumble - TX, US
dustpan dan - MA, US
Starpiste - BC, CA
Tappanga - AL, US
Burghgirl - PA, US
hondzik - Poland
ax174 - ON, CA
christinaent - NJ, US
twilight - NM, US
knittymomma - TX, US
Nabisco - ON, CA
katt24 - AL, US
kiki_eks - OR, US
spyderbaby - UK
Dragonsmuse - NY, US
NoSleep - MA, US
sleepywalkin - PA, US
gurlzcanrock2 GA, US
lemairia - DC, US
SewingLori - UT, US
AstroZombie - OK, US
krebstar5 - MA, US
stoliedina - NH, US
bunnygirl82 - MO, US
motleycruiser - OH, US
around - GA, US
leelee - MO, US
plucky1_08 - IL, US
aschnebly - NV, US
autumn_jodi - Scotland, UK

If there is more than one name, then it is a chain  meaning it is not a one on one send out. If there are two people, then it is a one on one send out.

humblestumble >  bunnygirl82
NoSleep >  knittymomma
spyderbaby > stoliedina
leelee > hondzik > Nabisco > leelee
lemairia > katt24
motleycruiser> kiki_eks
around > krebstar5
Burghgirl > plucky1_08
christinaent > ax174
Dragonsmuse > Twilight > SewingLori > Dragonsmuse
dustpan dan> tappanga
AstroZombie > gurlzcanrock2
aschnebly > sleepywalkin
autumn_jodi > Starpiste
Please PM me if I forgot to add you (which I don't think happened but one time) or if something is really horribly wrong. I matched mostly according to where you wanted to receive from. If I made a mistake, again, please PM me. Like if you can't send to a certain country, and I overlooked it in your info.

Also, just as a scary side note, I think that if we do need swap angels, it won't be hard to send out to someone who might not get something. After all, you don't even HAVE to craft anything! Though it is encouraged to make a little something. Meaning, this swap is meant to be affordable for at least one send out (depending on if you're sending out of country). Otherwisem I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to gather up some more stuff to send out. But that doesn't mean that everyone is subject to be an angel. It just means DON'T be SCARED of being one.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2005 03:42:19 PM by humblestumble » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
flrtingwdisaster
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005 07:38:26 PM »

yay Smiley but -- does anyone want anything from a small town in NY? i know i'd looove stuff from outta town/state/country
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005 09:15:57 PM »

Yea, I think that'd be cool. This is all about learning about other cities that we might not have preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'otherwise...exposure') so that it's not all stereotypical really. Cause I'm from texas and everyone thinks "everyone has a ranch, a horse, and a ten gallon hat" and that's just not true! And we (at least in my city, I'm told) don't have heavy accents - or accents at all!  Shocked

Oh yea, and I just got a PM from a moderator that I'm supposed to hold off on the sign ups until I get positive feedback for a swap that I'm in, I'm postponing the sign up period until I have positive feedback.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005 05:43:19 AM by hijole » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
remisica

Perception is a vicious cycle. Groar!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005 02:42:28 AM »

haha, oh no, that means i cant join yet either. cause "i am seventeen going on eighteen"... and havent swapped yet. but im definitely interested. im from singapore, if u need to know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look for me in the white forest, hiding in a hollow tree.
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005 04:53:01 AM »

I'm in. -- from the heart of the Okefenokee Swamp.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
xxdaniellacoxx
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 06:36:47 AM »

Ive already started collecting stuff from london too! cant wait to get a package from usa!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lemairia
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005 06:42:47 AM »

yay Smiley but -- does anyone want anything from a small town in NY? i know i'd looove stuff from outta town/state/country

Definitely!  There are fewer and fewer small towns in the US, it seems like, so take pride in your town.  Does your town have a nickname?  Or is there some interesting parade/fair/show that takes place every year that might give you inspiration?  What's the main economic activity?  I'm sure you'll come up with something interesting if you give it some thought--if nothing else, it will be a really excellent creative challenge for you if there's truly nothing special about your town (which seems unlikely!)

Now, don't go spending my two cents in one place...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

LeMair Handcrafts
unique handcrafted items for modern living
preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.lemairhandcrafts.com')
StarSix
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005 07:24:16 AM »

Um, I'm in small town Northern British Columbia, Canada.

The start of the Alaska Highway.  Anyone interested?  I don't want to sign up unless someone would actually want it!  I'm prettty open to learning about any new place, though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not Beethoven, but it sure bounces!

~ The Aristocats
Tappanga
Stop hatin', start participatin'!

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005 07:48:46 AM »

Yea, I think that'd be cool. This is all about learning about other cities that we might not have preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'otherwise...exposure') so that it's not all stereotypical really. Cause I'm from texas and everyone thinks "everyone has a ranch, a horse, and a ten gallon hat" and that's just not true! And we (at least in my city, I'm told) don't have heavy accents - or accents at all!  Shocked

Oh yea, and I just got a PM from a moderator that I'm supposed to hold off on the sign ups until I get positive feedback for a swap that I'm in, I'm postponing the sign up period until I have positive feedback.

Damn! I've already sent you my info. Hahahahaha. Think maybe you could hold it until the signup period starts so I won't have to resend it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.
jesslow
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005 08:32:31 AM »

I'm definitely joining this swap once sign-ups can start up.

I'm from the metro Boston area and can do either Boston itself or focus more on the smaller cities (Cambridge, Somerville) depending on if other Bostonians sign up.

As for what I'd like to recieve- I'm completely open, but would prefer something from out of the country- London, Singapore, British Columbia- I just love to learn about new places!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Hair Color Advice
Learn How to Backcomb Your Hair from the Experts
Learn How to Flat Iron Curl Your Hair
Learn How to Create the Perfect Ponytail
How to Cornrow Hair
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...