A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,874
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wheelchair decorating...  (Read 867 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Happychick
« on: August 16, 2005 01:27:32 PM »

Okay, so i have ME (i think they call it CFS in the states), and i'm going to have to get a wheelchair, which I'm not very happy about, so I was thinking, if it looked nicer, maybe I'd like it more, so if anyone has any ideas... oh, and also, it will be a loan from the NHS or red cross, so It can't be anything permanent.
xoxox
Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005 06:09:46 AM »

Sorry to hear about your illness.  You could find some funky fabrics for slip covers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
one_daddio

Breakin' the law every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005 06:26:39 AM »

I'm sorry too.

My mom used to make and sell bags designed for wheelchairs and walkers. You'll find that you have a need to carry things and a need for something to carry these things in. You could make some cool saddle bag sort of bags out of vintage or funky fabric.

Since you can't paint it fire engine red, you could make like tube covers thingys that would close with velcro. Or heck, just wrap some fabric or something colorful around the tubes and tape it in place?

I'd love to see what you do with it.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mireneh

working like a dog?!?!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005 07:33:16 AM »

I too suffer from CFS (not fun!), however I have not needed anything such as a wheelchair (I have thought about it) since I am not working and don't really go anywhere.  My grandmother is in a wheelchair due to neuropathy in her legs.  You could make a cushion for the seat and cover it in some really pretty fabric and make a cover for the back (kind of like a band of fabric you wrap aorund the back and just use velcro to attach the fabric to fabric so you aren't sticking anything to the actual back).  How about some funky way to liven up the wheels?  Similar to what we used to do with our bikes only use ribbon or something fun.  I might be moving around with a cane if my joint pain doesn't ease up, so I might be looking for ideas too!

I truly hope you feel better and know you are not alone!  Even in illness we can be creative!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Support your local animal shelters and be a responsible pet owner by spaying or neutering your pet.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is waaaay more than being tired - imagine having the flu every day, quadruple that, and that's me on a good day!  No, I did not stay up too late last night either.....
Happychick
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005 08:40:26 AM »

Thanks everyone, a fabric slip-on cover would be cool, and the wheel thing - you're a genius! I cant remember what you call them, but those like circley neon things that clink round on your bike wheels...
xoxox
Rosie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AllieStar
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 10:46:42 AM »

i'm sorry to read that you have CFS! i have Muscular Dystrophy and occasionally use a wheelchair in large shopping malls, etc, when a lot of walking is needed.

while i was in high school, i used a wheel chair to get around to classes. and occasionally i would sew together cute pillows to sit on! they were stylish and comfy on my butt!  Cheesy some with funny fabrics on them and frilly trims and more.

also, like everyone else has already suggested, fabric covers would work great. just get the measurements down for your chair, and get to decorating! i think it would be really fun!  Smiley

i'm interested and i'd love to see what you come up with for your wheelie! post a pic if you can!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

coffee. myspace. cupcakes. flickr. embroidery.
NEW! my crafty blog >> ice pink stars!
simplysara

I cut the cheese the best!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005 11:03:59 AM »

When my sister was in a wheel chair at age 5 (she had a hip replacement), we did the slip cover thing, and then basically treated it as a bike.  We put a little bell on it and attached a bike basket to one side of the chair with zip ties.  She was really young so we had lots of items in the basket that were attached with string she couldn't lose them off the side, or stick them in her casts (she had both legs in casts from waist to ankle with bars in between, it was fun for her to stick stuff in her casts but it would get lost, you obviously won't have that problem).  Above her head we put a dry erase board and wrote funny sayings on it.  Lots of people would stare and ask questions so we would add funny comments to the board such as, I went to Children's Hospital and all I got was this lousy wheel chair.

It has been many years since my sister has been in a wheel chair, but I have a lot of experience decorating bikes for burning man.  You could get Elwire for the spokes of the wheels so you could glow at night. How about a pirate flag or something?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Happychick
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2005 06:25:03 AM »

arr, a pirate flag! Why didn't i think of that! Oooh i'm going to have so much fun with this!!! hehe.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

one_daddio

Breakin' the law every chance I get

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2005 12:25:05 PM »

basically treated it as a bike

My thoughts exactly! I was thinking treat it like a bike, with a bell, a mirror, a playing card in the spokes (so it sounds like a motor cycle), and definately a pirate flag!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005 07:17:47 PM »

Yeah, I, too, think you should make it seem like a bike and play up the whole Pee Wee Herman's bike with all the crazy and unnecessary accessories. People will smile and treat you like you have a personality, not an illness, when they see you around. And I'm sorry to hear about your illness, too, by the way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tips For Cooking With Apples
Dulce De Leche Cheesecake Recipe
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
Buying and Thawing Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 1
Roast the Perfect Turkey - Father and Son Thanksgiving Pt. 5
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Super Easy Peppermint Bark
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...