A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Altoids/Mini Tin Swap #2 (sign up: closed; send out changed to September 2)  (Read 2672 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

waterbaby
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005 11:55:53 AM »

A sweet aquatic-themed tin arrived the other day---thanks, dixie!  However, and just so you know: the side where the top opens got smashed in transit.  I was able to open it and straighten out the sides, but can't close the lid all the way or it becomes almost impossible to open.  Not complaining, just thought you'd want to know, and recommend a padded envelope and bubble wrap for mailing something like this.

Thanks again, dixie, I really appreciate the time and thoughtfulness you obviously put into making this just for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dixie_terror
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005 12:30:42 PM »

crap!! that sucks, i'm so sorry. i was gonna use Kingsley's waterbaby images, but never got a chance to make copies from a book...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a few of my recent banners...<br />http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287051709
pink_seatbelts

dirtay souf!! w00t!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2005 12:21:39 PM »

i got the lovely tin that waterbaby sent me about a week ago, but was unable to say anything, because we have 6 people from New Orleans living in our house now. so the computer is more or less unusable. (i'm at the library right now  Grin)
but i absolutley love the red and yellow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.myspace.com/thenewbohemia <---La Vie Boheme is the shish, and you are jealous.
dukeslax44
the sporty knitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2005 12:53:57 PM »

Hey,
Sorry all for not being around or updating info, I'm having serious computer problems and actually am in the middle of reinstalling the operating system and internet etc, needless to say im typing this from a friends computer and will have everything updated once my computer gets back online
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everything happens for a reason??? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me the reason
waterbaby

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2005 08:42:18 AM »

i was gonna use Kingsley's waterbaby images, but never got a chance to make copies from a book...

How cool that you you even know of the books and thought about using an illustration!  Can't remember how but in my youth I had access to, I think, the first one, though it obviously wasn't mine or I'd still have it.  Would love to own one some day....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dixie_terror
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2005 08:45:03 AM »

i read it in kindergarten and it was my favorite book, i've bought a few copies off amazon and ebay, but so far none of them are the version i remember reading...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a few of my recent banners...<br />http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287051709
waterbaby

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2005 09:00:36 AM »

. . . . we have 6 people from New Orleans living in our house now . . . .

When I sent the package off to Texas I wondered how you might be doing---good samaritan-ing, as it turns out!

Now that I know you've got the tin, here are pictures for the rest of the group:

The colors are more vivid in person, especially the red, which is much more obviously red than in the picture.  pink seatbelts's favorite colors are red and yellow, so I made a polymer clay jelly roll cane with them, covered the top of the tin with a sheet of black and then slices of the cane.  The bottom part of the tin was sanded to remove all the printing, resulting in a brushed aluminum finish.  Had some leftover slices of the cane so I made them into beads as an extra little surprise.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
waterbaby

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2005 09:17:34 AM »

i read it in kindergarten and it was my favorite book, i've bought a few copies off amazon and ebay, but so far none of them are the version i remember reading...

Yeah, I bet it's hard to get ahold of one that is of the original printings (not necessarily a first edition, but before re-illustration, abridging, etc.).  However, you just reminded me that there's a fine vintage book store near where I'm working right now---will have to stop in there one of these days and ask them to be on the lookout....

In the meantime, should you (or anyone else) be interested, here's a link to an online exhibition of the color plates Jessie Wilcox Smith created for the book: http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/swann/waterbabies/wb-overview.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Out a Dreadlock
How to Do Kinky Twist Braids
How to Keep Long Hair Tangle Free
How to Create Curly Hairstyles with Bouncy Curls
How to Create Curly Updos for Long Hair for Prom
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...