A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
693 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How did you get started?  (Read 590 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

girlonjourney
« on: August 15, 2005 01:37:58 PM »

For the veteran crafters, how did you get started with your crafting business? I am wondering if most people get start up loans or just use their own money from a full-time job? Just curious...I am trying to just put the money from my sales into obtaining more supplies and so on, but it never seems like enough to really get a good inventory going. Just curious how others have found success with funding their business.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faithonfire
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2005 01:48:45 PM »

I never had to invest too much $$ when i first started making customized fleece scarves, i depended quite a lot on using my profits to buy material. Of course, i didn't have a lot extra in stock, but it was enough. Later after my website got popular enough [a couple thousand dollars in a year], i invested in more. i guess you just have to wait until people buy before you can truly invest. Or, you can just invest and hope for the best! I hope this somewhat helped Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Beadbakery
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2005 03:16:11 PM »

Thanks soo much for posting this Wreathgirl, I would also greatly appreiate any advice about how to get started.  Any books or sites (especially Canadian) that will give me some steps to follow to start a business
Thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wonderlandnyc

'fame is nothing more than loving someone'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2005 05:02:02 PM »

i was thinking of starting my site for a while, but never had the time or money to actually get it off its feet. then, at the beginning of this summer, i got this HUGE tax return check ... so i decided to hold off getting a summer job, and to start the website instead. of course, i worked through all the money ... but, at least i'm not in debt!

lindsay.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wonderlandmanhattan.com - one of a kind couture, one of a kind city.
girlonjourney
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005 05:33:53 PM »

Thanks everyone for the feedback,it has helped. I think one thing is I need to be patient and build things up slowly. Sometimes I get frustrated when I don't have enough money to get to these big shows, and thin" I have to go to them to make any money" but I know in reality it is just a matter of plugging away it little by little and budgeting well (don't do that part so well unfortunately!).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sweetpeahandcrafts
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 08:03:57 AM »

And don't discount the small shows!  If you spend, say, less than $50 on a table but pull in a couple hundred bucks, that's a nice bit of change. 

Jen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Purses, Retro Aprons and Other Accessories!
www.sweetpeahandcra fts.com
diagonalman
I am man. Watch me Sew.

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005 08:49:46 AM »

I'm not a veteran crafter or small business owner, but I don't think I'm flying blind either.

Right now, I'm just doing custom work which comes from word-of-mouth. I have a sneak preview version of my web site up and hope that its just enough to give people a good glimpse as to what we're making. But I still expect most, if not all of my sales to come from people who see and touch my products.

The first tipping point is when I run out of friends and family to sell to. Then we'll see how far word of mouth spreads past that first circle.

Since my wife and I are working regular jobs, I find it hard to build an inventory also. But I think even if orders start to slow, I shouldn't slow down the production. Once I have an inventory, then other avenues like craft fairs, open air markets, etc. are prime marketing candidates.

Eventually I will look into a small business loan and perhaps even changing careers so that I could work part time, but I'm taking things one-day and a time right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

DiagonalMan
Sewist/Seamster since January 2005!

Please check out my new Holiday Cards at Etsy!

Magnolia Handbags & Accessories
girlonjourney
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005 07:24:35 PM »

And don't discount the small shows!  If you spend, say, less than $50 on a table but pull in a couple hundred bucks, that's a nice bit of change. 

Jen

yes, very true. I have been trying to stay focused on smaller shows closer to home. Start small and focus on doing that well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
King Ranch Chicken Casserole Recipe
How to Make a “No-Cook” BLT Flatbread
Traditional Crawfish Etouffee
How to Make a Grilled Reuben Sandwich
How to Make Your Own Egg McMuffin
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...