A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
379 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cord peaked cap, three pictures [Tutorial with picture]  (Read 81319 times)
Tags for this thread: hat , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

theasparagusfreak

I'm studying craft at uni, how lucky is that?

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2005 10:33:57 AM »

This is my first attempt at making a hat. Not enitrely happy with the may it sits, its made from some old cord i had lying around, but i'm quite pleased with it Cheesy

excuse the surly look

my arm modelling it (a bit lighter, this one)

this is the lining for the head band

Right. Tutorial.

This is, i've made two different hats now, i've only got photos for the one that is slightly different, but i'll show you how to make both.

Oh, you'll need
Card/thin sheet of cork (i used this for the later two)
Some sturdy fabric, if you are using thick demin, prepare to break all your "jeans" needles.
A little fabric for the lining
optional- button for top of alt hat.

For Both, you need to start with a "visor"-like base.

measure your head, and then add about 4cm to the measurement. This isn't all seam allowance, as you want your head to be able to "breathe" and you don't want to be walking round with a permanent headache. My hat size is 56, which is a S/M , so i use 60cm of fabric. Cut this measurement about 8cms deep and do the same with the lining fabric.

cut out a "peak" out of a piece of card/cork, and if you like you can double layer it. Draw round this on your fabric (wrong side, obv) and sew two pieces together to make a pocket for it. When you've made that, turn it inside out and put the peak in, and sew it up as tightly as you can. You might want to use a zipper foot for this.

Lie the peak in the middle of the right side of the head band fabric (bit you cut out earlier) and sew it on, staying as close to the line you made earlier.

Sew the ends together and try it on your head. It should be a quite loose, but it shouldn't fall straight down onto your shoulders. Sew the lining also, and sew the hem bit down.

(heck, this is long..) Right sides together, sew the lining to the head band. BEFORE you sew it, check that when you turn it round, Right sides out, the peak is in between.

now you can make the rest. or have a rest...

Original (train driver) hat

Halve the measurement of your head (56/2=28) and add 6 (34). cut two pieces out 34 x 8 cm. Obviously if you head is a lot bigger add more. This makes the floppy bit above the head band. Sew ends together so you have a big loop.

Pin this to the head band, making little even pleats. Its worth getting this right, so give it a few goes.

You now need a circle with circumference 68 (or whatever your new measurement is, *2). You can wing it, or use your computer calculator, c=2pi x r, so 68 = 2pi x r, so 34=pi x r, so  r=10.8, you need to make a circle with radius 10.8 cm.

All you have to do now is sew that to the rest.. woohooo you should have a hat. (make sure to tidy up the lining by triming the other edges, folding over them and sewing the lining down)

OR my (preferred) jockey hat

fold a piece of A4 paper in four, and then fold that quarter in a triangle, and you should end up with something like this: (after a bit of cutting)

You need 8 of these, i recommend drawing straight onto the fabric, it helps get a better line later. Sew them all together like a parachute, and then fold down the edges and sew them down. (this makes a big difference, so don't cut corners).

Very careful (and painstaking) pinning onto the headband should give the right look, then sew. Again, tidy it up by trimming the main fabric seam edges, and folding the lining over and sewing.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2005 04:59:38 AM by theasparagusfreak » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005 11:04:23 AM »

Ohh, pretty. I want one. Pattern? Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
theasparagusfreak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005 11:12:19 AM »

Pattern?

I used another hat as a guide, but only for sizing really. Was just winging it  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mactabilisdemens

Everyone needs to rent a kitten.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005 11:39:55 AM »

What do you use to keep the front part stiff?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005 01:00:56 PM »

Pattern?

I used another hat as a guide, but only for sizing really. Was just winging it  Wink

Cool. Is the topmost bit just a circle?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
squirrellypoo

Sew sew sew scandalous

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005 01:05:07 PM »

very cool! I'm diggin it. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fehr Trade - custom clothing
HeatherGrace
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005 02:47:56 PM »

Oh wow!  That's awesome... I never even thought to make a hat... I'll have to add that to my list Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
6iggle

art. fashion. love.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005 03:13:45 PM »

oh wow.. that is to nice! looks very professional too  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------- >8

✯My Etsy!✯  www.iiiNa.etsy.com

✯My Blog!✯  www.PiiiNaColada.blogspot.com

✯My Wists!✯   www.wists.com/paulinaa
theasparagusfreak

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005 03:21:08 PM »

Quote from: theasparagusfreak on Today at 07:12:19 PM
Pattern?

Cool. Is the topmost bit just a circle?

a squished circle- think it was longer front to back rather than side to side

What do you use to keep the front part stiff?

Embarrassed card, i'm looking for a better substitute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Penguinofsorts

Crafts while studying.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005 03:45:33 PM »

That hat looks AWESOME!  seriously.  It reminds me of this hat I had a few years back that I lost in a cab on Christmas day....oh how sad.

IF you were to make another, and you were to generously offer up a tutorial.  I, for one, would be eternally grateful and would say to all who asked that theasparagusfreak showed me how.

Good job though....awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This isn't Kansas, and I'm not wearing red shoes.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Visual Unity
How to Imply Motion
How to Understand the Psychological Power of Yellow
How to Get Out of your Comfort Zone
How to Use Selective Focus
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...