A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
435 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: looking for an atypical punk rock striped scarf pattern  (Read 769 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« on: August 14, 2005 08:20:27 AM »

hey all, here's my dilemma:  a few years ago, on my very first visit to a real lys, i bought 1 skein each of white and hot pink cascade 220, with the intention of making a punky striped scarf a la the standard black & white striped scarves, but with a punch of hot color instead.  i cast on and started working happily in 1x1 rib, since that was my skill level at the time.

3 stripes of each color and 4 years later, i am bored to tears.  every time i picked up the project, i'd get bored before i even made a stitch.  i finally frogged what i had already completed, not only out of boredom, but also because my stitches were so screwy from my inexperience at the time that i just wasn't happy.

now i'm stuck.  i still want a white& pink striped scarf.  but under no circumstances do i want plain old 1x1 rib.  anyone have any ideas, linkage, or other suggestions for a striped scarf whose stitch pattern goes beyond 1x1 or stockinette?

thanks!
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005 09:18:10 AM »

I love seed stitch for scarves, but it's not much better than 1x1 rib.  Another thing you could consider, to shake things up, is work each stripe in a different pattern.  (You'd have to choose patterns that don't significantly change the width of the fabric, like switching from a 1x1 rib to a seed stitch wouldn't be good.)  Or, you could run a cable up the center, with seed stitch on the outsides instead of stockinette.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
Brae_Day
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005 09:22:55 AM »

It's not exactly striped, but have you seen/considered the "alien illusion" scarf in the original SNB book?  You can see a pic at www.knithappens.com.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NoelleNoodle
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005 09:32:02 AM »

I was thinking the same thing, an illusion scarf with Joey Ramone or Iggy Pop instead of an Alien or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

m*babylon

you can't get there from here

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005 01:00:10 PM »

an iggy pop illusion scarf sounds hot! i wonder if i have enough yarn....and how i would chart iggy...i'm going to go check the various illusion scarf threads for insight now...thanks! =]
a*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

just a city boy, born & raised in south detroit
he took the midnight train going anywhere...
cha.cha.cha.
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005 07:21:01 PM »

you seem psyched about illusion charts, but drop-stitch scarves can be pretty funky-  knit six rows, then k1yo2 accross- the next row, you drop the yo2's. the way you do a yo2 is by wrapping the yarn around the needle twice. it looks pretty cool to do yo3's too-

i like to verigate it quite a bit- maybe knit 8 rows and do a row wrapping the yarn three times, then knit four rows and wrap twice. if you striped the colors too, it could look pretty fantastic.

good luck! keep us posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blog!  http://nomoresweaters.blogspot.com

how do you catch a unique squirrel?............. u-nique up on it.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Folk Fibers: One-Of-a-Kind Hand-Stitched Quilts
How To Make A Spooky Halloween Spider Out Of PVC Pipe
Decorate This Halloween with Glittered Bones
How to Make Spooky Halloween Drinking Glasses
How to Make a Black Cat Mask For Halloween
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...