A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,089
Currently Running With Scissors:
667 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What the heck can i do with this food edition  (Read 992 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starburn
« on: August 13, 2005 02:58:18 PM »

What can i do with really really really stale bread, not moldy just stale?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new knitting blog!
http://davinshow.blogspot.com
McAuliflower
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005 03:40:33 PM »

Ooo Ooo, I know!

I just posted this recipe last week on my culinary website- Crispy Eggs with Instant Toast.  It's posted ala Harry Potter, aka a recipe written up fan-fiction style that had to be a eggs with toast breakfast recipe.  Click thru if you want to read my Harry Potter cooking story Smiley

This recipe is a great one because you don't really need to measure things- it will still taste good if you just dump stuff together.

Crispy Eggs with Instant Toast, ala Muggle

adapted from recipe in Judy Rodgers the Zuni Cafe Cookbook, as read in the Best American Recipes 2003 - 2004

Take a couple of slices of stale good bread (ciabatta,sourdough or whatever) and bash them up in the food processor (no food processor?  The grate the bread into bits with a cheese grater. Youll want at least enough for 3Tbs of crumb mixture per serving (but I always make more than that). While youre at it, process with the bread crumbs:

* one oz of parmesean ( aka a chunk)
    * one garlic clove
    * a couple of pinches of fresh thyme leaves (or whatever flavorings you want- cayene pepper, basil, etc)
    * one pinch of salt

Its good to make up this batch of tasty crumbs large enough for several servings so that you can just reach into the refigerator for crumbs next time you want to make these eggs.

For one serving of two eggs, measure out 3 Tbs of your flavored crumb mixture into a small bowl. Drizzle in about one Tbs of olive oil and mix together, making small goey clumps of the bread crumb mixture.

Add the oiled crumb mixture to a warm nonstick or cast iron skillet and begin to gently heat. When the crumbs show the first signs of toasting, slip two cracked eggs on top of the crumb mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put a lid on top of the skillet and cook your eggs to your favorite level of doneness (Im an over-easy gal, so this lid step helps facilitate the top of the egg getting set while not over-cooking the bottom of the eggs).

When the eggs are cooked just right, slip them off onto a plate and quickly whirl around 1 tsp of good vinegar (sherry vinegar was especially good) into your heated skillet. Heat the vinegar just briefly (or it will all evaporate up your nose!) and drizzle over your eggs and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

save your fork- there's pie! http://www.browniepointsblog.com
Moonchild14
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005 03:46:18 PM »

you can make french toast.
It is really good!

REcipe: 2 eggs(beaten)
           1/4 to a 1/2 cup of cream or milk
           tsp of cinnamon sugar
           sugar
       Just mix in a bowl dip the toast and you can bkae it or cook it in a pan makes a really good breakfeast
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GreenWhimsy

My hosiery is bunching!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005 04:17:14 PM »

Ooo Ooo, I know!

I just posted this recipe last week on my culinary website- Crispy Eggs with Instant Toast.  It's posted ala Harry Potter, aka a recipe written up fan-fiction style that had to be a eggs with toast breakfast recipe.  Click thru if you want to read my Harry Potter cooking story Smiley

I just commented there but I LOVE this so much! Heh, heh, the characters were so much like themselves that it was almost like reading one of the books, and the food sounds great! I like how you explained the mysterious reptile in that lad's breakfast. Oh those mischevious pubescent wizards  Roll Eyes Cheesy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
giggles1100

They call me Martha......

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005 07:50:28 PM »

You can also make bread pudding, I have a wonderful recipe if you want using any type of bread is fine, but I am sure you can find one on the web too.  Let me know.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Giggles To all!
Heather
slackferno
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005 02:00:28 PM »

You can always cube it up, brush with EVOO, sprinkle with garlic salt, and bake.  Mmm...croutons!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mactabilisdemens

Everyone needs to rent a kitten.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005 02:24:16 PM »

French toast was invented for the specific purpose of using stale bread instead of throwing it away! Alton Brown of the TV show Good Eats talks about it and even gives an authentic recipe- chech out foodtv's website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starburn
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005 05:13:12 AM »

French toast was invented for the specific purpose of using stale bread instead of throwing it away! Alton Brown of the TV show Good Eats talks about it and even gives an authentic recipe- chech out foodtv's website.
hahah alton brown is the best
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my new knitting blog!
http://davinshow.blogspot.com
Era Vera
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005 05:07:05 PM »

wow the cripy eggs stuff sounds good. i think i might try that right now. we've always got ends of bread sitting in our breadbox. no one eats it once it gets stale, but my mom hates wasting, so she wont throw it out until it's really moldy and could not be used at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://eravera.blogspot.com/ <-rarely updated crafting blog
http://modaveloce.blogspot.com/ <-fashion-y blog with some diy and photography/art stuff
chris_wass
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2005 04:07:59 PM »

BREAD PUDDING!

Cube or tear up 5-6 slices of bread and put in an 8x8 baking dish (lightly grease bottom)
Pour in a custard of 4 eggs, 2 cups of milk, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes, until set

You can make it savory or sweet.

For sweet, add 1/2 cup of sugar to the custard and add up to a cup of dried fruits, nuts, and/or coconut.

For savory, add up to 1 cup of veggies or meat, like you would add to a quiche, and 1/2 cup of cheese (if desired). You can even add seasonings to the custard. Just this week, I made a yellow cocnut curry and chicken bread pudding. It came out great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy Shop: http://chriswass.etsy.com
The Phoenix United Craft Society: http://www.phucs.com

"To make people free is the aim of art, therefore art for me is the science of freedom." -Joseph Beuys
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: DIY Toaster Pastry Recipe
Restaurants That Still Make You Wear a Jacket
How to Make Eggs Benedict
Mikey Likes It!
How to Make Beef Stew
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...