Using the Jordy purse design, I made this purse out of an old pair of cords, some pretty pretty pink fabric, and some of my fav vintage buttons.
I used the back pocket of the pants as the pocket for the inside. In order to do this, I cut around the pocket, folded seamed the extra against the pocket (except at the top), and attached it to the lining before assembly.
Oh yes. I forgot to attach the strap before I turned it, so it's on the outside! Nothing like posting your work to foster the inner critic!
Here's some visual on my pocket attachment process:
1. The small maroon image is the pocket on the pants.
2. The larger maroon around the pocket is where you cut it out from the pants.
3. Cut along the orangelines on the corners of the pocket.
4. Fold and press on the blue lines. The dashed blue line at the top is the fold line/seam below it but 1/4 of an inch or so above the top of the pocket.
5. The blue lines at the bottom of the pocket are fold lines. Cut below on the angle and fold over the orange line before folding and pressing to the back of the pocket.
6. Use the pocket's own outside seam to attach to the lining. At the top, use the seam you created about 1/4 inch above it.
I haven't tried it, but I bet that press & stick stuff would work better than sewing everything on this project. Just make sure to use a press cloth over the pocket so you don't get your iron all junked up.
ooh lala! thanks jordy!
then I sewed on the buttons, attached a sew-on snap, and called it a day!