A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,586
Currently Running With Scissors:
510 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE GENERIC BOYFRIEND GIFT THREAD: A How-To!  (Read 244115 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kickingNscreaming
« Reply #940 on: December 09, 2009 08:31:14 PM »

I've been lurking on this thread practically since its birth. lol.  My turn for a question...

I bought my boyfriend tickets to a Muse concert for Christmas... I'm really excited... this might actually get a reaction out of him.  Roll Eyes  He's kind of hard to please sometimes.  ANyway, I've been racking my brain for a creative way to "wrap" tickets... I've come up with nothing so far. lol.  Help?  ((Oh, by the way, I wont actually have the physical tickets in my hands by the time we exchange gifts, so I'll probably be printing "tickets" on the printer, or scrapping them or something.  If you have a cute idea for that as well, lemme know!))

Also, he requested that I make him dinner. I... am not a cook.  I can usually follow a recipe, but I've been known to screw that up too... lol.  ANyway, I know what I'm doing for an appetizer, and for dessert, ironically, it's the main dish I'm at a loss for.  I'm doing stuffed mushrooms for an appetizer, and chocolate mousse for dessert.  Any suggestions for a main dish?  I was originally going to do spinach stuffed chicken, but I realized that was the first dinner that he made me, and I kind of wanted to be at least a little original, ya know?

Thanks ahead of time!  ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
konex27
« Reply #941 on: December 09, 2009 09:52:48 PM »

Well, I don't know about the wrapping [but holy balls Muse is amazing live], but as for the food?

Braise a piece of meat!! Seriously.  I did this for my boyfriend...it's the easiest, most un-screw-up-able super high class tasting meal you could possibly come up with...just make sure you have a lot of time :p

Here's what I did:
-Made homemade BBQ sauce [very easy, but store bought would be just fine too!]
-Bought the cheapest cut of pork I could find [porksteak]
-Rubbed it with just salt and pepper
-Browned it for 5 minutes on each side in a hot pan
-Turned a pot/pan with super high sides on ultra-low, put int he porksteak, drenched it in BBQ sauce, covered it, and let it cook for like 3-4 hours, making sure to flip it occasionally and replenish the liquids when they get low.

My boyfriend, who is a bit of a food snob, could not stop talking about how amazing it tasted all night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kickingNscreaming
« Reply #942 on: December 09, 2009 10:16:36 PM »

Oooh!  I think he would like that!

My only concern, (And I suppose I should have mentioned this before... my bad...) is that I am the pickiest eater on the planet, and don't eat anything I'm already making, nor do I eat pig.  I'm not a huge red meat eater anyway, but I've never found a pig dish that I like.  I'm kinda hoping to be able to eat the main dish.  Tongue  I wish I liked things... stupid taste buds.  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #943 on: December 10, 2009 09:20:07 AM »

Oooh!  I think he would like that!

My only concern, (And I suppose I should have mentioned this before... my bad...) is that I am the pickiest eater on the planet, and don't eat anything I'm already making, nor do I eat pig.  I'm not a huge red meat eater anyway, but I've never found a pig dish that I like.  I'm kinda hoping to be able to eat the main dish.  Tongue  I wish I liked things... stupid taste buds.  Angry

Make sure you cook something you like, so that you can be proud of what you made.  If you don't like pork or red meat, fall back on poultry.  There are about a million different ways to cook a chicken.  I really depends on what you like.  Even if it's un-original, a good roast chicken typically goes over well.  My mom makes it by sticking about two heads worth of garlic cloves (depending on the size of the bird) in little slits under the skin, basting it with butter, then sprinkling it with plain ol' poultry seasoning.  Using a seasoning mix is way easier than figuring out the spices for yourself, especially because you can't taste as you go  Wink  The chicken is awesome, because the garlic is infused into the meat and it stays really juicy.  The leftovers are also wonderful cold.  You can fish out the garlic cloves and mash them in with potatoes, if you're not too worried about a garlicky night.

For side dishes, I would do stuffing (not so hard when you have a recipe, I like the Joy of Cooking) gravy (don't be scared, it's not that hard) mashed potatoes, and roasted squash (sprinkle it with brown sugar before you put it in the oven and it comes out like candy!)  If you don't like squash, maybe carrots, turnips, beets, or other root veggies.  Or you could make a nice salad!  the Joy of Cooking has a great Caesar dressing recipe.  My menu may not be hugely original, but the flavours are all pretty basic, so they're less intimidating if you're a little picky.

You already don't like the stuff on your menu?  Try baked apples or pears for desert.  You cut them in half and core them, then sprinkle generously with brown sugar, honey, and butter.  You can add cinnamon or other spices or even nuts if you want, and omit the honey if it's a little wierd for you.  It's like apples having esaped a pie.  Very tasty and relatively good for you, plus you don't have to worry about pastry. If apple pie isn't your deal, what about chocolate cake (or any other flavour, really) baked in a smaller pan/ramekin so it can be shared by the two of you.  Or fruit with a yogourt/whipped cream dip? 
If you don't like the stuff you're making, you won't want to taste as you cook, so you're more likely to make mistakes or serve something un-pallatable.  The only time I cook mushrooms, for example, is when my mom is with me, so she can do the tasting for me  Grin  If you like tomatoes, I would suggest bruscheta, which is really just little rounds of baguette toasted and topped with chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, and basil.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
kickingNscreaming
« Reply #944 on: December 16, 2009 01:13:24 PM »

Well, no need to worry about dinner...
The BF is no more.

I have to be one of the only people on the planet that doesn't want kids. *cries*

He's still getting the $300 tickets... He better darn well go, and he'd better enjoy himself. lol.  I couldn't bring myself to go with him even if he asked me to.  ((Oh yeah... he pulled out the friend card... because he still wants me in his life.  Stupid biology fails me again.))
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #945 on: December 17, 2009 10:29:27 AM »

Well, no need to worry about dinner...
The BF is no more.

I have to be one of the only people on the planet that doesn't want kids. *cries*

He's still getting the $300 tickets... He better darn well go, and he'd better enjoy himself. lol.  I couldn't bring myself to go with him even if he asked me to.  ((Oh yeah... he pulled out the friend card... because he still wants me in his life.  Stupid biology fails me again.))

That really sucks!  I say you should keep the tickets for yourself and bring a friend with you. Muse is great live, and you shouldn't miss out because of hearbreak.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
unesoeurfidele
« Reply #946 on: December 18, 2009 12:05:18 AM »

My guy and I have been together about three years... I would like to make him something fun for Christmas to go with the Blu-Ray player I bought him, but I'm running low on ideas! There's also valentine's day in February and our anniversary in March. We've been long-distance for a year, but only for a few weeks longer!! Cheesy

Things I have made him in the past few years:
-Bought a dark wooden bowl and filled it with red origami hearts, each with a reason I love him written on it. There were quite a few of them- one for each day in the six months we would be apart (that time), so every day he could open one and think of me! I also bought a matching picture frame and put a red mat and a photo of us in it.

-I went with him to the beach for the first time this past summer (he's 23!), and while we were there, I nonchalantly collected some sand and shells. I bought a simple black frame, made stripes with the sand using mod-podge, and placed a few shells on it in a design. In the frame I put a picture of us with the ocean behind. He like that one a lot!

-for valentine's day last year- made WALL-E & EVE pillowcases, from one huge picture i found online with both of them in it. I cut the picture in half, printed it onto iron-ons and transfered WALL-E onto his pillowcase and EVE onto mine. I also attached a red felt heart pocket to each of them, and made a green felt plant (like the one in the movie) to fit into the pocket of his (or mine), and monogrammed 'I love you- 2. 14. 2009' on the inside edge of his.

-Boxers with iron-on transfers, one pair with pepe le pew on them (i monogrammed 'Je t'aime' on those) and one pair with the seagulls from Finding Nemo on them (monogrammed 'mine?' on the butt)

-screenprinted t-shirts

-a fleece WWE RAW bolster pillow as kind of a joke- he loved watching WWE when he was little. I gave it to him with tickets to a WWE event. We thoroughly enjoyed the show and he uses the pillow.

-a stuffed bat (so it would be boyish!) made of brown fur and felt, with a little red heart applique' on its chest

also little things: once when i visited, i wrote 'i love you' in glow stars on the celing right before I left- when he turned off the lights to go to bed he saw the stars! And i'll leave notes in the pockets of his clothes in the closet sometimes, stuff like that.

*things he doesn't want*
-anything knit
-blankets- his mom makes really amazing ones, so he's pretty well set.
-more stuffed animals, probably- he has the bat on display, but i wouldn't want to overload him! Wink

I can sew very little, and he's pretty far away so any kind of clothing is out. I probably don't have the skills yet, and I would be unable to find the correct size. He's goofy, but likes useful things. He's very smart, and I love him way too much. Any and all ideas much appreciated! Sorry for such a long post.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." ~Elizabeth Kubler-Ross
your.bestnightmare
« Reply #947 on: December 19, 2009 04:51:38 PM »

I love the bowl of hearts AND the boxers ideas!

Is there anyway you could go see him? I'm sure he'd love that very much.

New Dilema: Boyfriend's mom got me a present.
What should I do for her?
I'm thinking maybe a bunch of different types of cookies or something.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009 05:00:07 PM by your.bestnightmare » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new found love for inchies.
Let's swap 'em (: Private swaps too!
alice.natayliah
« Reply #948 on: December 28, 2009 10:55:00 PM »

I also need some help! I've only been dating my boyfriend for a few weeks, and he got me a ball of yarn of christmas(Yes, I know it isn't much, but I love to knit, and I love yarn, so it works out rather well), but I have no idea what to give him back! We didn't really talk about gifts...
He loves computers, Star Trek, Dungeons and Dragons, and Art. He also has a horrid sense of direction (we tease him about it all the time) and Dr. Who.
I can knit, and make paper crafts, but thats about it.
I don't want to make it too lovey-dovey because we haven't been together very long, but I do want it to be meaningful. I was thinking of knitting him a scarf, but I'm wary of the curse.
Thanks a bunch.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009 10:58:15 PM by alice.natayliah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yarn obsession? Who said anything about a yarn obsession? Its not my fault it looks so pretty...
If you want to know more about me, check out my blog for knitting patterns, and other random stuff.
http://knittingtrekkie.blogspot.com/
rawlove
« Reply #949 on: December 29, 2009 04:13:00 PM »

Hey fellow craftsters!!

Haven't posted anything boyfriend-related in a while--- cause there was none, but now i am uber happy in a relationship !!  Grin Grin

Soo, that means YAY for crafts!!

Since we got together in the beginning of december, his xmas gift wasn't too grand, but here's what I did for him:

• made him a box out of mat board (90p thickness) and covered it with green japanese paper (we both love green)
  • the box is meant for him to keep his recipes in, since he loves to cook-- so I bought him these cute recipe cards
  • made 4 little muffins/cupcakes out of felt (since we spent one saturday baking muffins together)
  • bought him a Toronto Life 2010 magazine that has all the great dining + drinking all layed out for us to explore!!
  • got him a book of EPIC FAIL pictures which he looved

He absolutely loved it Smiley yay

So, our ONE MONTH is coming up January 10th.. and both of us are really corny and schweeet, so I figured celebrating our month would be cute and not lame. well, it's lame, but in the best way possible.

SOOOO any ideas from you guys would be clutch.  Kiss

ABOUT HIM (dont know too too much just yet  Tongue)

• loves to cook/loooooves foood
  • likes to explore new areas and new places
  • says "FAIL" and "LAME" a lot...haha you know the whole fail joke thing...with the images
  • chocolate cookie dough icecream is his fav
  • he wants to be a fitness trainer
  • loves cheese

if anything came to mind...please let me know thanks!!!  Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Take Years Off of Your Face With These Secret Skincare Tips
Why Baby Care Products Are Good for Your Skin
Carrie Underwood’s Beauty Secret
Target Adds Luxury Skincare Products
DIY Face Peel at Home
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...