A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 298,789
Currently Running With Scissors:
488 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE GENERIC BOYFRIEND GIFT THREAD: A How-To!  (Read 248832 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

annamal
« Reply #430 on: December 07, 2006 09:46:11 AM »

Not an insanely good idea or anything.. but..
Since I'm going to visit my family for Christmas, and I have finals up until the day I leave, my boyfriend and I decided to postpone Christmas together until January.  This way, we have plenty of time to get together gifts for each other - and see what our families give us before purchasing things for each other. 
I'd like to make him some boxers, a cowboy shirt, and possibly a jacket/hoodie.  I wish I had time to knit him socks too... 
And buy him a Chia pet Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

socomfyhere
« Reply #431 on: December 07, 2006 11:33:24 AM »

so I had a brainwave for my boyfriend's christmas/holiday/winter break gift the other day.  we're at colleges about 75 miles away, with no cars, so we see each other about once a month for a weekend or so...except for holiday break which is nearly 6 weeks!! sooo excited.  but anyway, we're both pre-med so i decided to make a little coupon book for him called "Head to Toe: anatomically correct coupons for my favorite pre-med" and each coupon will correspond to a body part (keep reading, it's nothing scandalous, though some get a little sappy  Tongue):

head/brain: a game of chess or scrabble (he's really good at chess and i couldn't be bothered to care, so i'll actually play with him sometime and he'll get a kick out of it)
left ear: take the next object out of the gift bag (and there will be a mix cd i made for him)
right ear: "i'll sing you a lullaby"
clavicle: "i'll give you a hickey...just kidding. of course, unless you want one" (we have a running joke about hickeys and always joke about giving them. it's not dirty, just funny)
ETA neck/back: a massage
chest/torso: take the next object out of the bag (a t-shirt from the quirky little pizza place in my school's town)
stomach: "i'll cook something for you...your choice"
legs/butt: "a fun afternoon of sledding or ice skating"
feet: take the next object out of the bag (a gift certificate for a shoe store...he wears the same sneakers everyday and has done so for the whole fall semester so this way he can get a new, non-holey, non-smelly pair)

and i'm going to print each coupon with a little picture of the corresponding part on the side.  i think he should like it...what does everybody else think?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006 05:39:10 PM by socomfyhere » THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #432 on: December 07, 2006 04:50:46 PM »

Socomfyhere, I think thats a cute idea.  Especially with the other related gifts in the bag that correspond with the cupons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Shallelerilla
The world is pretty f*cked up, shouldn't I be too?

Michael Franti is a sexy beast.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #433 on: December 08, 2006 08:30:41 AM »

i'm dating a 17 year old anarchist filmmaker and i am running out of time with finals. i need a gift idea really really bad, and i want it to be something nice because he has been extra good to me. he's in to 1960's counterculture throwbacks and general quirk. PLEASE help!!

I'm into the same stuff, so maybe I can help. lol I suggest maybe you can print out some pages from the "Steal This Book", which is something every 60's loving anarchist can't go without, and use the pages to make him his own version. Add in your own ideas, make it into a notebook or something. Every good film maker needs a good notebook to write ideas down in! You could also try making him a few patches or something like that. I make mine in a pretty ghetto way, scraps of canvas and a sharpie, but I'm sure you can do better.

Find out his favourite movies, or even better, his favourite director, and run with that idea. The possibilities are endless!!

You can find Steal This Book completely typed up
Here:  http://www.eriswerks.org/steal.html
Or here:  http://stealthiswiki.nine9pages.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

It's guaranteed to bring a smile to the face of any good anarchist.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is fucking IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument." --Bill Hicks

I draw things!! http://Http://kakumeika.deviantart.com
MaryMacca
« Reply #434 on: December 08, 2006 08:19:59 PM »

Reading these almost make me think i have a crappy boyfriend.. he'd gag if I gave him anything like this. Sad

nono..not quite.
I'D gag if I had to do stuff like that because..well..to ME it seems a little creepy and clingy..
Most girls can give gifts like these and make it AWESOME..
I'm sure those of you posting these sorts of things are really great at it...
but..I'm not quite a "normal" girl...as a kid I'd get pissed if someone called me "pretty." ha
I have to go for things that are...coarser..and most of the time, more well-received by guys..
SO SCORE ONE FOR NOT BEING A NORMAL GIRL!

ANYWHO..
My little tidbit on gifts
..I'm quite a cynic and prefer more thoughtful gifts...for example...my boyfriend is an actor, plays guitar, etc etc...
Armed with this knowledge, my planned Christmas gift consists of:
-a few records of his preference (of course I have to know his music taste to do this! that's a duh)
-tons of guitar picks (he's always losing them)
-a compilation
-and attached will be lyrics of extra special significance =]

Very simple...
I'd do something nicer and more creative, but our group of friends has a tradition of doing Secret Santa to ensure that every person gets a great, thoughtful gift rather than twelve candy canes from everybody..but of course I'm gonna cheat and get my boyfriend a prezzy too hehe =]

But a good rule for a serious long-term relationship: Pick their present like they were your best friend...it means so much more.
So let's see what I'm getting my Secret Santa..person friend..instead
She likes British New Wave, tambourines, Harry Potter, the Perks of Being a Wallflower, Rock n Roll, the 60s etc etc
I'm getting her
-A tambourine
-A yellow belt she's been wanting
-A tie (her favorite one got ruined! =[)
-A macrame bracelet with a peace sign
-A crafted bookmark with the lines "We felt infinite" somewhere
-An uber-funky stocking to put some of the smaller items in
-A MIX TAPE

Yes these may seem quite odd to you, but these are little bits of information I've pieced together. Tiny hints remembered from past conversations...It means soooooo much more to remember those things than to get something that you had to ask about ("hey I'm not sure what to get you for Christmas..what do you want?)..It shows that you actually pay attention.

Another thing..
In some groups, mix tapes are a thing of the past and really lame...In groups like mine (rather than go to the mall or the movies we go downtown for the improv show and record stores and vintage shops..we heart obscure underground culture, for example) mix tapes NEVER die
They are so cool..just because they're..MIX TAPES..
There's something romantic/nostalgic about it...the last time we had a cassette we like four! So keep things like that in mind.

Bringing back childhood is almost always a good idea.

Plus these sort of gifts...
ARE MUCH CHEAPER BWAHAHA
Seriously..my Secret Santa will cost about $35

My boyfriend's will cost about $20

*Never forget inside jokes =]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
localtalent
« Reply #435 on: December 09, 2006 11:09:45 AM »

Speaking as a generic 24-year old guy, here's my two cents - obviously it's just personal, take it for what it's worth.

Personal is key.  Gift cards are the kiss of death to me, it says 'I don't know anything about what you like, so here's some money'. 

I am super picky about books, music, movies, etc., but I still appreciate the effort.  If he's got some favorites, head to Amazon and follow recommendations for other stuff.  If it's music and he has an ipod, steal it and load it on for him (of course, this means no exchanges, so that's a risk). 

Here's the thing with me and a lot of guys my age (also, younger college-age guys to some extent): we've got jobs and some disposable income, so when we want a CD, book, movie, video game, etc. we just go out and buy it. 

The limiting factor is time much more than money - that's why handmade means so much to me.  It's an expression of how much someone cares about me.  Don't go overboard with trying to incorporate his interests into it.  I'm big into cycling and the outdoors, but a bicycle-shaped pen holder or something isn't likely to do it for me.  A custom bag, a warm hat, great mittens, a neck warmer, a set Chuck Taylors that you put a great design, or cute or cool things to pin on my bag: that's much more likely to make me go 'aww' and give you a big hug and kiss.  Make it something I like, but put yourself into it - after all, I'm dating/engaged/married to you, I obviously like you!

I don't recommend decorative things for the home/desk as gifts, unless you are totally sure what he loves.  I (and my guy friends) already feel like we have way, way too much 'stuff' already.  Particularly in New York, I am constantly bombarded with buy this, buy that.  Something that is useful is key, and if you can make it remind me of you, so much the better.

Experiences are particularly good.  When I was younger and didn't have a lot of cash, I never treated myself to stuff.  Now that I've got the money, it's hard to make myself slow down and actually do something totally frivolous and fun.  Spending lots of money is not necessarily important.  I generally don't like fancy restaurants, and I hate dressing up.  Plan out a fun evening with something he would like but doesn't normally do.  Come over, tell me to get my coat, and refuse to tell me where we're going.  Take me out to a good, low-key dinner, and then something stupid and fun like mini-golf or bowling or to the circus.  Together, no distractions.  Shut off the cell phone.

Be careful with 'coupons' though - they tend to get shifted aside and forgotten about.  A much, much better idea is to tell him to clear his calendar for X day and do it. 

Memorable gifts I've gotten:

(Sister) Gave me an envelope with two tickets to a punk show and little printouts of all the band logos.  Awesome, especially since we never see each other.

(Girlfriend) Gave me a rice cooker way nicer than I'd buy for myself.  Relationship ended seven months ago, but I still use that rice cooker.  A little impersonal, but fantastically useful.

Memory box.  She put in quotes from movies and things that reminded her of our relationship - but a lot of them were movies I hadn't seen or books I hadn't read.  I would have much preferred one of inside jokes, pictures, mementos that she bought behind my back at places we'd been, stuff like that.  The box was beautiful, though, especially since she wasn't at all crafty.

Jacket that she saw me try on but I wasn't sure about for that price.

My favorite that she gave me: an old comic book I lent out and never got back, then went out of print.  Saw it on ebay for $80 or so, she ended up bidding on it without telling me, found out it was the author who was selling it, and had him put in a personal message: "Hope this makes up for the one you lost".  Wonderful.

(Father) Technically, I gave it to him, but an evening kayaking trip on the Hudson at the end of summer.  I still remember that.

Long winded, but hope it helps Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006 11:25:37 AM by localtalent » THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #436 on: December 09, 2006 02:20:53 PM »

Localtalent, I think you are pretty spot on with the guys I have dated, my current guy is a bit more sentimental than most.  In terms of crafted stuff I might consider a really awesome scarf (something interesting like an illusion scarf or something that reflects their interests, or a stitch pattern that they mentioned offhand that they wouldn't mind a scarf in), a funky bag, or a shirt stencilled with something I know they will love (fave quote or catch phrase, inside joke preferably with their friends too, or just something I know will crack them up).  For example I want to make my boy who is from Victoria, a shirt with the Victoria Bitter (a type of Aussie beer) logo edited to Victorian Bogan, cos he drinks VB and is  bit of a bogan, on a polo cos I know he prefers polo's.  I am also working on a scarf he wanted months ago, and the yarn I chose for i was too scratchy for him to wear, so I am making a second one out of a dark blue/grey merino silk blend that had just enough sheen to make the scarf in pattern to look like a stormy ocean.  The last point was just luck, but I'm loving the effect, and I think he will too.  I was also working on an illusion scarf for him with a double heilix as the illusion cos he is a science geek, but it was curling more than I thought it would block out and I know he doesn't like curly scarves.

I think with all guys relating it back to an inside joke with their gifts is a great way to go.  If you wan't to make something really sappy, and you know it won't scare the crap outta them, don't get annoyed if they want to hide it away when their mates are around, and add something they won't be ashamed to show their friends.  That way when they ask "what did she get you man?" they show off the awesome plushie of some cartoon character, or the funky shirt you stencilled to save them from saying their little catchphrase when someone does something stupid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SecretAgentStarchild
« Reply #437 on: December 09, 2006 05:44:49 PM »

I've got a tough one. My guy and I have been dating each other for a couple of months now, and although I had some good presents lined up, I lost my job and therefore now can't afford them. Which isn't bad, but now I've got to turn to the creative route (which should be interesting, as I'm not very crafty). I need help!

My guy's not like most of the others that I've read about on here. He's not into tools, he's not into technology or anything. We're both into LARPing (for those of you who don't know, that's live action role playing). We met at a national event a couple months ago, and out of the hundreds of people there, we found each other and hit it off. His character is a pirate and that is something that he is really into, so I would love some ideas that could include piracy!

I plan on making a little scrapbook of the two of us (he is just as mushy as I am, so I think he'll appreciate it). I also want to do a drawing of both of our LARPing characters together under the stars, to remember how we met.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas. He's my complete opposite with everything else, so it's hard to come up with ideas that would mean a lot to him. He isn't into technology or gaming (except for Zelda, which in his opinion, is the greatest video game series ever). He is quite an athlete, adoring football and was his high school's best track runner. But I'm sport-stupid, so I have no idea of how to make any gifts for him that have to do with this. He loves zombie/horror movies.

Sooo, yeah. That was a lot of rambling. I really want to get him some pirate gifts, and maybe something to do with zombies. But I don't have any ideas.... Anyone care to lend a hand? Please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it. - Roald Dahl
rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #438 on: December 10, 2006 04:54:14 AM »

I had fun once making a 'zombie ken' version of one of my friends- basically, if you can work in a shed or somewhere outside, just melt bits down, build them up using sculpy, plastercine and paint, rip and burn clothes- I found the more hangy out bits UI included, the better it seemed to go down!

One of my housemates saw it, and went nuts, and then drafted me in to make a toy-zombie film with him for his final major project (and it nearly killed me! It's fun to make one or two, but when you start making armies of the things, it's just exhausting!)

Here's a couple of pics of dolls I created:

the pics are pretty cruddy actually- sorry about that! they did look pretty good in reality- I even made a short time lapse film somewhere of me making the blasted things!... just thought could be a good idea for a zombie fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguin91
« Reply #439 on: December 10, 2006 05:45:06 AM »

haha!  rakechan , those are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Spicy and Sweet Luau Baked Beans Recipe
National Donut Day: Origin of the Donut
Classic Game Room - FLEURY FLAKES Breakfast Cereal Review
Classic Southern Pimento Cheese Recipe
Crab Cakes Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...