A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 306,101
Currently Running With Scissors:
386 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE GENERIC BOYFRIEND GIFT THREAD: A How-To!  (Read 288316 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Proper_Boogie

Books and sails and puppy dog tails

View Profile
« Reply #960 on: August 21, 2010 01:10:42 PM »

Guys, I have a pretty unique dilemma. I've been going out with my boyfriend for a couple of months, and he just told me that his birthday is in one week. I don't think he really expects me to get him anything, but of course I want to. Now, here's the problem: My guy is 20+ years older than me. I have a pretty good idea of what guys in their twenties like, but I have no idea what to do for a man old enough to be my father. We haven't been going out long enough to have inside jokes or pictures or memories to use, and I don't think we're close enough yet for things like boxers or blankets to be appreciated. He knows I'm a crafter (He's already requested a scarf, but I thought it would be a little strange to give him a scarf in August.) so I'm not worried about scaring him off with something handmade.

Some info about him:
He's a painter, a writer, and an actor who loves books, classic movies, and his cat. He's a "retired hippie" with a really laid-back personality, and when we get together we usually get coffee and spend hours talking about books and anything that pops into our heads.

I'm at a total loss and I hope someone here can suggest something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
your.bestnightmare
« Reply #961 on: August 22, 2010 07:54:57 AM »

Maybe you can get him a fancy journal/notebook to write in, or painting supplies?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new found love for inchies.
Let's swap 'em (: Private swaps too!
dancedupapillon
« Reply #962 on: August 22, 2010 09:58:28 AM »

I was thinking a notebook/sketchbook too.  You could re-co the cover with a pretty paper or something if you didn't want to step into the wonderful world of bookbinding.  Don't forget to add  lovely little note on the inside cover!  The first gift my boyfriend ever gave me was a sketchbook and a drawing pen with a note telling me to record all the beauty I see in the pages of the book.  It made me cry!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
Totalgeek
« Reply #963 on: November 04, 2010 11:57:14 AM »

Hello there, i just thought i'd add in what I've done for my boyfriend over the past year and a half Smiley
these may have been mentioned already but here goes!
-for his birthday last year i bought a heart puzzle and drew a cartoon version of us on one side and a cute on the other and stuck THAT in a "casual" envelope for him to put together.
-For christmas i got him a calendar of his favorite book as a little kid, we'd just watched the movie together.
-For our one year, well i went all out lol i made him an envelope book with 8 envelopes containing cute little surprises (one was a collage of our movie tickets with hand written little anectodes and memories) and on each envelope was a letter in the corner, eventually spelling I love you Smiley, in another envelope was a "Silly reasons why i love you" list (EX: the fact that he stuffed some red lobster biscuits in his pocket for me once XD)
-Now this one was for my chick best friend but when i showed him he fell in love with it and almost didn't give it up: a crochet chocolate chip cookie pillow. SO! i'll make sure to make him some sort of food pillow in the future. i mean. guys+food+comfort= Cheesy
Plus i need a little help.
his birthday's in a few days and so far i'm creatively stumped. I'm going storebought this year i guess but i still wanted a personal touch he'd like so what i came up with was: i took three pictures of myself wearing these little shorts he loves on me. in photo number one i'm holding a sign saying "Baby i know you love these shorts *insert arrow here*" photo number 2: "so here's a nice view...*insert playful attempt at sexy here*
photo number 3: "But i just wanted to say happy birthday and...*"
photo number 4: i'm laughing cuz i wrote "I loves you" on my tummy lol he likes my tummy. even if it's not six pack rock hard abs Tongue
Anyways. I'm kinda stuck on how to present it....halp please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all my best lines come from Spongebob, Star Wars and One Tree Hill Tongue
emily_pebbily
« Reply #964 on: November 11, 2010 02:43:31 PM »

Hey guys!  I have Christmas gift idea blockage!  If someone has any ideas that would be great!  My guy just celebrated his birthday yesterday so he has no idea what he wants for Christmas.  Also I don't want anything too lovey dovey because Valentine's Day and our 2-year anniversary are after Christmas.  That being said, my guy is:  Catholic, loves the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, likes playing xbox games like Left 4 Dead and Rockband, loves everything outdoors, works at Panera, and likes smoking and drinking.  His favorite colors are red and black.  Any store bought and or crafty ideas?  Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancedupapillon
« Reply #965 on: November 12, 2010 08:40:33 AM »

If he likes the outdoors, maybe make him some trigger mittens
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=63958.0

Or some fingerless gloves
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTcigar.html
http://knitty.com/ISSUEsummer06/PATTknucks.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jamais sans mes ciseaux.
GoldfishGirl

Amorphous Big Red Monster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #966 on: November 12, 2010 09:42:13 AM »

This year I'm stenciling my guy some shirts and a pair of boxers.
Practical, simple, and easy to personalize according to varying tastes. Also, it's not too offensive if he doesn't use them, as I'm only out about $20 and a few hours of time.
I may be knitting him a Noro striped scarf and a turn-a-square hat if I can get to a yarn shop in time. It's a handsome type of scarf and a matching hat wouldn't be too terribly matching. Plus, it's a mindless sort of knit that's great for movie watching or car drives.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists:  http://www.wists.com/goldfishgirl

I'm always up for Personal Swaps! I can knit and sew. What can you do? Let's trade!
drunkenatheist
« Reply #967 on: November 14, 2010 10:51:56 PM »

I'm pretty sure I've never posted on this thread, so here we go!

For Christmas last year, one of his gifts was a tweaked version of the "Mom" tattoo from Subversive Cross-stitch: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=354000.msg4137393#msg4137393

For Valentine's (which, unfortunately, comes about a week before his birthday, so I was scrambling for ideas between the two), I decoupaged a gift box I had with a syllabus from the class we took the semester we hooked up and put some candy and Ren & Stimpy marble magnets inside.  (I don't have photos up of this one just yet.)

For his birthday, I used some glass etching cream and etched monkeys onto the bottom of a set of rocks glasses (from Ikea) and made him some geeky Star Trek fuse bead coasters to go along with them. 
Glasses: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=355977.msg4166914#msg4166914
Coasters: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=353999.msg4137392#msg4137392

Now to figure out what in the world I'm going to do for Christmas this year.  He's such a pain in the ass with gifts.  haha
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BadWolf
« Reply #968 on: November 23, 2010 11:26:35 AM »

RawrG! I don't know what to make for mah husbaaaaaaand. Merr.

I made him a blanket before, stenciled shirts, scarves, a wall organizer for his guitar stuff, a drawing, etc etc etc. I've made him all this stuff before.

I'll probably just make him some more stenciled t-shirts, because he can always use them and he complains that they only make cool shirts for skinny people. I'm also searching etsy's treasury for man gift lists for inspiration. *fingers crossed*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

your.bestnightmare
« Reply #969 on: November 24, 2010 09:20:13 AM »

Have you thought about a guitar strap? Thats what my man's requested this year. I'm also working on a scrapbook. I gotta get crackin' on that one. I've only got a few pages done.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a new found love for inchies.
Let's swap 'em (: Private swaps too!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mixed Media Fun
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...