A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 298,074
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: THE GENERIC BOYFRIEND GIFT THREAD: A How-To!  (Read 247498 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lyzalyzalyza

my shades are more pimp than yours!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2005 07:34:35 PM »

What should I get/make for my boyfriend for his birthday/graduation/anniversary/etc?!

Ladies, read & absorb. And add your OWN crafty (or not so crafty) ideas and past experiences with boyfriend gifts :]

PHOTOS.
What boy wouldn't love pictures of their girlfriend (or of you two together for that matter)?! This gift is easy and as well as cheap, depending on how much you want to put into it. Albums/scrapbooks are a nice idea -- so long as you go about it CONFIDENTLY and with FULL EFFORT! Making your own book (for which you can find several tutorials here on Craftster) will add to the "WOW!" of your gift and your boyfriend will be in sheer awe of your crafty prowess. Add to the book not only photos, but perhaps snippets of song lyrics, collaged pages, little letters or notes to him, or a cute little story of the two of you Smiley

Other ideas:
-wallet sized photos (if you have a good photo printer, or know someone that does, you can do this yourself!)
-framed (with you MAKING the frame yourself, of course)
-adhere a photo to a clock

CLOTHING.
Stencil/screenprint/iron-on! For last Valentine's day, I painted a couple of boxers with "Hello, I love you! Won't you tell me your name?" and "All you need is love!" in cute little script. He really appreciated them Smiley If you're going for a t-shirt, skip the plain cheapie craft store types and go for something with a little more character (budget allowing). You could probably find something nice-ish at Target or Walmart or any place similar. Think polo shirts, button down shirts, v-neck, crew cut, what have you. GO CRAZY. Try stencilling/screenprinting/ironing-on on a sweet print or pattern like a tie-dyed shirt (something that you could also do yourself!) or a pin-stripes on a button-down shirt.

Other ideas:
-belts (if you get a plain one, you could stencil on that, too
-hats
-bracelets, wristbands

FOOD.
The way to a man's heart. Whip up his favorite dish, find a cute, kitschy picnic blanket, and find a nice spot! This could be a park, a playground, a backyard, by the lake, or just somewhere you two can be alone. Don't forget beverages! Juicy-Juice always works :] Make his favorite dessert, buy one of those HUGE three-pound bags of his favorite candy (try Target or Costco or somethin' like that!), or if he's a chocolate aficionado, make some molded chocolate (you can buy chocolate molds at a craft store, most likely) or FUDGE. Make sure to stop by the Craftster forum for scrum-diddly-umptiuos recipe ideas. However, it is always advisable that all food should NOT contain garlic, so as not to hinder any fun you may be having later! That, or bring mints.

Other ideas:
-send a care package of good food to a long distance boyfriend
-a romantic dinner, candles, music, and a DVD afterwards!
-or even cuter, BREAKFAST. think pancakes, waffles, fruit, orange juice, crepes, omelettes.

TIME ALONE.
A boy's favorite thing, by far. He wants to spend time with you above all else. Plan a good date (all expenses paid by you, of course), go out to a playground or a park, go out dancing, to a good restaurant, or just rent a bunch of DVDs and snuggle up on the couch with him. You can incorporate this into any gift you give him -- make whatever special day you're celebrating an all day affair.

MISCELLANY.
-Coupons! A bit cheesy when done in a cheesy fashion, but it certainly can work if you choose out good things. Say your boy loves his car nearly as much as he loves you; give him a coupon for a free car wash (bikini optional!). Be creative, go WILD.
-Do something together. Go to a dance lesson, cook/bake together, take a walk with his/your dog, go swimming, take a mini road trip, go to a flea market together. The possibilities are ENDLESS.
-Give him a massage :] Or, buy HIM a book on massage techniques. It's a gift that gives back.
-SURPRISE HIM! Decorate the INSIDE of his locker, leave him surprise notes in his school books or in his book bag or in his CD player or slip one in his back pocket..
-For long distance relationships, splurge a bit and get him a train/plane ticket, or find somewhere you two could meet up in the middle. Pre-paid phone cards are also a good idea, especially if you two talk a lot! Think about fun care packages or strange things you could send him in the mail.
-Stuffed animals! Make an adorable felt monster or buy one that he wouldn't object to cuddling with. Also along these lines are those awesome squishy pillows!
-Speaking of...make him a pillow! Or, if you're REALLY devoted to it, make a quilt, or a blanket.

Whew. I hope that was helpful! Of course, most of these ideas could extend to any person you're trying to find the perfect gift for. Be creative, use what crafty skills you're good at, and have fun with it!

And remember to post your own ideas so this could be the one-stop-shop for any Craftster in need of a boyfriend gift..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005 07:39:21 PM by lyzalyzalyza » THIS ROCKS   Logged

all you need is love!
erindezeeuw

How am I not myself?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005 07:39:01 PM »

Something I do:
Embroider PJ Bottoms with his nickname. Cute, personal, and functional.

My husband claims guys appreciate most things they'll use every day. He is a techie geek, so I'm getting him the new Razer for his birthday.

Also, a warning- if a guy doesn't know you well enough to know you genuinely love crafting for craft's sake, he might get overwhelmed and think you're too serious if you do something elaborate. It happened to me with a giant dessert roulade. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This may be for sale on my etsy:
creme-tangerine

myspace

How am I not myself?
lyzalyzalyza

my shades are more pimp than yours!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005 07:40:48 PM »

Also, a warning- if a guy doesn't know you well enough to know you genuinely love crafting for craft's sake, he might get overwhelmed and think you're too serious if you do something elaborate. It happened to me with a giant dessert roulade. Sad

That IS very true. I suppose I get so into the DIY part of it since my boyfriend and I are pretty much the "artsy" couple. Heeehe. :]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all you need is love!
miffy
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005 10:45:44 AM »

My anniversary with the boy was three days ago. I made him:

- a scrapbook (which was mentioned)
- a mix cd with songs that had meaning to our relationship, made us think about each other, songs we like to sing together, etc. I put 24 songs on, one for every month we were together.
- a puzzle in an AOL tin. I took those sliding AOL tins and painted/decorated the outside. On the inside of the tin, I wrote little notes to him and stuck tiny iZone pictures of me in there. Then I took a magnet that's used for business cards and stuck a piece of paper on it and cut it to size. Then, I colored it with a cool design and our initials and cut it out in a way that would be REALLY hard to put back together (making it harder: I only used four colors). Then I took the pieces and arranged them in the shape of a dinosaur inside the tin and closed it up. He had no idea it was supposed to be a puzzle until I told him and it took him a good half hour to put it together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MotherHoodlum

viva la monkey!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005 12:11:14 PM »

Custom pajamas are always a hit, and even just making the bottoms is easy for a beginner.  There's a few threads floating around craftster on how to make them out of old kiddy sheets, which can stir the retro rumblings of any guys heart!  Think GI Joe, Star Wars, or see if you can find some of his favourite sports team (and god bless ebay for that!).

Speaking of sport nuts, Just about anything with his favourite team's logo will send a guy gaga.  For the super crafty, you can try cutting yourself a foam stamp or stencil of the team logo for oodles of projects.  Think sheets and drapes for a dorm (or very immature man's house).  Make a collage of team pics into a cool clock or message board.  My hubby is a COlts fan, so I can put a horseshoe on just about anything and he'll flip his little lid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

who's yo mama?!
CellophaneFlowers
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 06:09:06 PM »

For a nice little everyday surprise: Ask to borrow his jacket, then place a little love note, special trinket, etc. in one of the pockets. You could also spray a little of your perfume on it, or just wear it, so when he gets it back it will remind him of you.

I like the idea of a relationship journal for you two to share. You can write questions in it such as, "What was your first impression of me?" and "What's my best quality?" and take turns writing your answers. You could also take turns passing the journal back and forth, and just write to each other about whatever.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Faith and begorrah...
dramakweeen
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005 06:53:29 PM »

I made my boyfriend a tee shirt (from Target) with my face on it...in an artsy kind of transfer...it's a little hard to describe, I'll post it when I find it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The world has gone out of its mind. Unless we do something, humanity is doomed.
~Jean Giraudoux
grrlfriday
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005 07:08:41 PM »

One of the best gifts I ever made a partner was a Hunter S. Thompson "action figure" I made for an ex-boyf a few years ago.

I took a Ken doll and modified it to that it looked like Hunter from his Fear and Loathing days - complete with short-shorts, cigarette holder and "Welcome to Vegas" sign.  I wish I had taken a photo.

It was a great gift - homemade, inexpensive and with lots of though put into it.  He freaked out big time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
megaknits
mega(k)nits

do you like it?? i like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005 07:32:50 PM »

I can't believe someone else discovered the palette that is the Ken doll. In college I made a "Straight-Edge Ken" for my then boyfriend. He had Converse and Xs on his hand, plus some very cool clothes.
Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frankierevolver
Miss M. Sassypants

Mo'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005 07:49:35 PM »

Reading these almost make me think i have a crappy boyfriend.. he'd gag if I gave him anything like this. Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 98 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make a Mini King Cake
How to Make a Malteaser Cake
How to Decorate Your Own Wedding Cake
Rhubarb and Ginger Crumble Recipe
How to Make Cookie Dough Cheesecake Bars
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...