A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
440 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: really cool bead watches!  (Read 12003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hamsterpower

You cannot hurt a twinkie!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2005 05:17:31 PM »

Hi there im fairly new to craftster but I absolutely LOVE IT! Smiley

so I'm the kind of person that sees something thats way too expensive and says to herself "Heck, I could make that" so just recently I went to http://www.monjiusa.com/ where they have these awesome watches that looked like they used safety pins or something. I really wanna make a safety pin watch now but I don't know where to look. I would greatly appreciate ANY links to something helpful.  Grin

thanks a bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheEverFalling

Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005 05:21:02 PM »

wow, those look great. I'd just bead some safety pins and put them over my watch strap. i'd probably sew a few of them on for safety!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That doesn't make sense to me. But then again, you are very small."~Treebeard
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005 12:10:47 AM »

HiI think an elastic would work as the base and sue that to cover with the safety pins, or else thread each of the safety pins at each end with clear elastic. maybe do a search for safetypin jewellery on here. i might go  look now. see what i find. cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xcrunnergirl
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005 02:32:13 PM »

WOW WOW WOW! Those are sooo cool! If you could make those, I'm sure we would all worship your craft-fu. TheEverFalling and cyndiq's ideas sound good. A regular web type watch might work, but I think you would have to sew them on to keep them from falling off when you do the buckle. Or you could just use some elastic like cyndiq said. Cooooool. I need to find a watch and some safety pins now, so ta-ta...

Oh, and if you do get it to work, post a pic if you can, please! I want to see how it turns out.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished 2 bags of M and M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already."  - Dave Barry
bunnehdeo
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006 06:57:02 PM »

i have no clue how they managed to attatch them to the watch heads, but my grandma makes those exact bracelets. basically you take beads & put them on the outside of the pins, then you take elastic & thread through both the tops & bottoms of the pins...that's the best way i can explain in without showing you, hope i helped a little.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likalika

"Life is what you make it...make it gorgeous"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006 06:48:54 AM »

Safety pin jewelry is the easiest jewelry in the world to make.  To make a watch, there are a couple of different techniques you could use.

1. You can take sewing elastic the is the width of the bar of your watch.  Remove the watchband obviously.  Fold the end over the band bar and hand sew it.

2. Load safety pins with beads.  Depending on the size of your wrist you may need 30 or 40.

3. After you have loaded the pins, be sure to crimp close the head of the pin so that it won't accidently open.

4. Slide the full pins onto the elastic, alternating top and bottom.

5. When it is as long as you need, wrap the elastic over the watch bar on the other side and tack it.

6. If you can see the elastic on the watchbar and don't like it, pin on a beaded pin.

The second way is to load the pins, crimp them closed, then take jeweler's elastic and crimp it onto the watch bar.  You will need two pieces...one will go through the top of the pin, one through the bottom.

Once the pins are loaded, thread the pins on the elastic alternating head and foot.

I teach jewelry making to 9 and 10 year old girls, and this is one of their favorite projects. 

Lika
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When life hands you lemons, stick them down your blouse and make 
 your boobs look bigger."
apandalee
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006 07:02:09 AM »

Wow those look really easy to make! I'm sure you could do it for at least half the cost of the watches on that site! Like likalika has already said, safety pin jewlery is really easy, and def not worth 50+ dollars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SoftFlexGuy
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006 10:14:18 PM »

I like those watch faces, especially the black watches. But, I don't think they would look right on my wrist. They need to make one for the fellas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovemylabs
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006 08:18:48 PM »

Wow!  Must go buy safety pins and seed beads!  Thanks for posting the website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Aneesah
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006 12:08:22 AM »

I'm definitely trying this out. I have a few watches I got for free, but the leather straps are so stiff and uncomfortable. Now I'll just have to find those pins that my little brother played with...  Undecided

Thanks likalika for the techniques! Smiley

Added: Here's my finished watch strap, and it's linked to it's Flickr page.  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 04, 2006 06:57:01 AM by Aneesah » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." -- Leonardo Da Vinci
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Warped by Ellan Grossman
Vert-Vurt by Ellan Grossman
Whatever Can Go Wrong by Ellan Grossman
Water Seeks Own Level by Ellan Grossman
The Knots Sculpture by Robin Antar
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...