A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
432 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Retro Fabric in Toronto (or just Canada)  (Read 3013 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Dewey

A true friend stabs you in the front - O. Wilde

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2005 11:17:09 AM »

Hey folks...I'm looking for fun Retro-style print fabric.  Pin-up girl type stuff in particular

I've found some online but most of the sites don't seem to want to ship to Canada

Any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005 12:01:27 PM »

I'm not sure where you can get retro fabric in TO...I've been looking too...and the on-line resources for Canadian fabric sucks! I did however find some pin up girl material at my local Lens Mills Store in Waterloo you can check which location is closest to you...
http://www.lensmill.com/locations.htm

My mother in law sews curtains for a living and she often goes to the fabric district in Hamilton...and a few of my friends have said that you can get really nice stuff there and its not very expensive...I have yet to make a trip there cause I hate driving, but you can give it a try if you like...if your planning on going I can find out for you where the stores are located...I just have to ask my MIL.

Good luck, and if you find any places that are reasonable and good, please keep us posted on this link as I know quite a few people that would want to know. If you can't find any Reprodepot sells retro fabric and they ship to Canada. I love the fabric there, but its so expensive once you add the frieght, DUTY and exchange...if you lived in the States then they are reasonable, but for Canadians not so much...I think its really the shipping and duty that make things so expensive.

http://www.reprodepot.com/shippinginfo.html

Hope that helps a bit.
Good luck

NessaGurl
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
atomic mary
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005 06:04:40 PM »

len's mill is by far the best place i've seen for pin up girl fabrics and barkcloth and skulls and retro prints and batiks . hamilton's ottawa street has good priced fabric, but it's about half upholstery fabric and half clothing fabric.i have spent many happy hours there and in t.o. Cheesy len's has a lot but the prices are more expensive. i tend to pay though 'cause you just don't find the stuff anywhere else. if you aren't near a len's, they always have a HUGE booth at the creative sewing and needlework festival. oh, october i can hardly wait! i hope this helps some!
atomic mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
NessaGurl
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005 05:20:48 AM »

Hey Atomic Mary...nice to see you here...just wondering when and where the needlework festival is in October...I would really love to go. Thanks for the info about fabric in TO and Hamilton...really have to make the time to go up sometime.

thanks'
Nessagurl

Happy Craftin'
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy Shop...
http://thislittlebird.etsy.com 

My Wist
http://www.wists.com/ThisLittleBird

I would love to do a personal swap for Quality, well made felt or crochet play foods for my daughter... contact me if you are interested. Check out my shop to see what I could make for you
Dewey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005 05:31:56 AM »

Creative Sewing and Needlework is at (on?) the Exhibition Grounds in Toronto

I totally should have thought of that...thanks so much

THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic mary
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005 08:20:25 AM »

Hey Atomic Mary...nice to see you here...just wondering when and where the needlework festival is in October...I would really love to go. Thanks for the info about fabric in TO and Hamilton...really have to make the time to go up sometime.

thanks'
Nessagurl

Happy Craftin'
the csnf is october 13, 14 15 16. they have lots of great classes and if you've never been, YOU HAVE TO GO!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
atomic mary
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005 08:28:34 AM »

UGH, i pressed post by accident. i also wanted to say that there is a website for the festival as well. i think it's www.csnf.com. it's at the metro toronto convention center and you can buy tickets at len's mill for a little less than what they are at the door.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amandajones

life means nothing if you're not obsessed

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005 10:53:54 AM »

there's a lady on ebay that live in alberta (i think) and she sells all sorts of fabric including the retro stuff that you see on www.reprodepot.com
i can't remember her store name but if you go to ebay.ca and search for retro fabric it should come up.
if not pm and i'll try and  help
THIS ROCKS   Logged

We like boys. We like hot boys.
With roaming hands and rushing fingers!
I'm just a be bop baby, and i don't take nothing from no one.
See you later Daddyo's
minouette
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2005 12:43:50 PM »

If I were looking for any type of fabric in TO I would just walk down Queen Street (from Bathurst to Spadina and then down Spadina) and systematically check all the fabric stores in the Fashion District... sooner or later you would be bound to luck out. There are also a bunch of great, and much larger, fabric stores out on Queen West, in Parkdale.

Good luck. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I opened an Etsy shop! Come visit http://minouette.etsy.com

(I have a wist too: http://minouette.wists.com)
Dewey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005 02:53:23 PM »

If I were looking for any type of fabric in TO I would just walk down Queen Street (from Bathurst to Spadina and then down Spadina) and systematically check all the fabric stores in the Fashion District... sooner or later you would be bound to luck out. There are also a bunch of great, and much larger, fabric stores out on Queen West, in Parkdale.

Good luck. Smiley

I just can't seem to find the pin-up girl type of stuff I'm looking for but thanks Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Your First Movie
How to Make a Storyboard
How to Make a Music Video
How to Produce Videos on a Budget
How to Write the Perfect Holiday Movie
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...