A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,699
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Birmingham(ers?)  (Read 6260 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2004 01:56:34 PM »

I'm going to be moving to Birmingham soon for job purposes and here's the scary part: the closest people I know are people in Michigan... Any stores, knitting circles, social circles even, that I could look up?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004 07:58:36 PM »

Let me extend a pre-emptive welcome to Birmingham!  I hope you like it here.  In a month or so, it will be unbearably hot & stay that way for several months, but I like it that way and many folks do, too.

Stores: Michaels (Trussville on the NE side of town, Hoover on the SW side of town), Hobby Lobby (Hoover and Lakeshore), and the new AC Moore on Hwy 280 (the traffic glut of shopping & dining).  

As far as socialization, it's a crap shoot.  I haven't been a part of any "scene" in a long time.  There are some okay bars & clubs & decent music, but you have to really seek it out.  Let us know when you get here and how it works out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scenequeenpissed

shut up and dance

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004 11:12:44 PM »

the new ac moore seems like it will be amazing. they had a sign up saying they needed knitting instructor , so maybe they'll develop some kind of knitting circle here ? i haven't heard of any. you REALLY have to seek out good people and hangouts here. i've been here almost a year with no luck really.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WHATIF
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004 01:22:28 PM »

another welcome to b'ham.

i don't knit, but would be glad  to do anything to make you feel welcome, help you find a group.  I'm in the Homewood area.

Linda from B'ham
THIS ROCKS   Logged
WHATIF
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004 06:20:41 AM »

> yes, just write me. i'm hoping . I'm hoping B'ham craftsters can get together soon.
> i'm not that far from hoover, my sis lives in Vestavia/Hoover area -
> knows all the good shopping
> Linda
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Plastictart
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004 05:52:48 PM »

I didn't realize there were as many folks from birmingham as there are.

I live in southside but hardly go out. Just sit at home and watch movies.

There's a group here called Collarmoth that does art/craft shows...the next one they are having is this sunday(may2nd) at the Garage cafe. You should try and check it out!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
ecinue88

0.5 second attention sp-

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004 06:48:28 PM »

Thanks for the welcomes and offers and help. I was thinking of having a craftster get-together-pseudo-housewarming-getting-to-know-you type of thing at my house. Would you guys be interested? Take a peek at my yarn, talk about crafts, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shaeon

"Take it easy, but take it." - Woody Guthrie

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2004 01:55:55 AM »

Glory be, other people from Birmingham!  I never even bothered asking for Alabama locals; I ignorantly assumed that there weren't many of us here on Craftster.  

So welcome, ecinue88!  Get here quick; we're having an unseasonably cool spring, and you're not likely to experience that again.  The "scene" here is kind of odd; it all depends on what you are in to.  As far as a craft scene, I'm not aware of one, but Plastictart did mention Collarmoth - I hadn't heard of them.

Plastictart, hi to a fellow Southsider!  Good to see not everyone is giving up on this end of town.  What is Collarmoth?  Looks like they have a web site, but it doesn't provide much info http://www.collarmoth.com/.  Their name reminds me of "Isobel" by Bjork: "moth delivers her message/unexplaind on your collar."

Anyway.  Thrilled to see this here.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Plastictart
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2004 09:09:51 AM »

Heh it's funny that you thought of the Bjork song. We went to their show last night at the Garage and our friend Paul was there and said he was the one who thought of the name. Apparently one of the girls who is in collarmoth is a huge bjork fan and asked him for ideas and he knew she liked Bjork and said that.......he didn't hear anything else about it but then saw Collarmoth flyers everywhere.

The show was good. Not too much stuff. The theme was lighting/reflection.....some really cool stuff. I think they only have shows at the beginning of every season so it might be awhile before their next one but when I hear about I'll let you know.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Plastictart
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2004 09:11:42 AM »

Thanks for the welcomes and offers and help. I was thinking of having a craftster get-together-pseudo-housewarming-getting-to-know-you type of thing at my house. Would you guys be interested? Take a peek at my yarn, talk about crafts, etc.

I'd be up for a get together! Just let me know when and where and if I don't have to work I'll try and make it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Decadent Mac and Cheese, from Ina Garten
A Super Bowl Party Menu, from Ina Garten
Feeding the Super Bowl Crowd, from Martha Stewart
January 12th: Victory Sausage
How to Make a Gourmet Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...